Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Restoring damaged interior plastic

My Cars
    z3 2.8

Restoring damaged interior plastic

Sprayed air freshener along the plastic trim panel of my z3. Alcohol damage it and I don't know how to make it look good again...

I've tried using meguiers interior detailer, to no use. Used olive oil, did nothing. Is it forever damaged?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    It would be beneficial to post another photo from further away. No perspective.

If typical cleaning products don't work then you might have a few other options. A black trim dye, such as Restore Black by Bondo or Solution Finish might restore it. SEM also makes trim spray paint that can be used to re-coat the piece.

My Cars
    z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    It would be beneficial to post another photo from further away. No perspective.

If typical cleaning products don't work then you might have a few other options. A black trim dye, such as Restore Black by Bondo or Solution Finish might restore it. SEM also makes trim spray paint that can be used to re-coat the piece.

im going to apply meguiers ultimate black, today

will post back with results

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    I doubt that works for you if other similar products haven't. It's just a top coat.

My Cars
    z3 2.8
    I doubt that works for you if other similar products haven't. It's just a top coat.

You're right, it didn't do much besides fill in the gap and made it a bit darker. I can still see the marks, but it does look "richer"

I did use the rest to restore the door panels and some of the plastics inside and the outdoor door handles.... Worked pretty well.

I'm gonna try the solution finish you mentioned. It's a dye, correct?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Per the developer it is not a dye. See link:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-restorer.html

My Cars
    z3 2.8
    Per the developer it is not a dye. See link:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-restorer.html
    I'm sold.

This looks like it'll work a little too well. If I spot treat the area, do you think there will be a noticeable difference between other areas in the car?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    It's likely. Only one way to find out. If the piece is not very porous you may be able to blend it. Trial and error.

I'm going to buy the big bottle. The cowl on my Armada looks horrible and a newly acquired mini cooper has black trim encircling the entire bottom of the car.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    So I bought the big bottle of Solution Finish. As I said the cowl on my Nissan Armada was a mottled gray and looked horrible. I treated it with Solution Finish and it now looks great. I wish I had taken some before pictures. I'll try to update periodically to see how durable this stuff is. Appears that the more porous the material is the better this stuff works.

I've put a little on the shadowline trim of my E39 and it looks much better. The vertical trim between the front and rear doors also looks better but that stuff isn't very porous so I don't think it will last long.