Thread: You know you bought a doozy when they took out the check engine light!

My Cars
    Coupes...

You know you bought a doozy when they took out the check engine light!

So I just bought a Z3...

Realized today that they took out the CEL bulb or something.

Running the codes and its just the usual coil pack issues with misfires and the SAP is bad.

I'm just laughing to myself because this is kinda funny.

Some people are extra dishonest.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    z3
    One time about 10 years ago I bought a Z4 from a guy...
    Took a bit of time fixing some small cosmetic things up - when I went to get it registered, it failed emissions. Weird, no CEL... Then the emissions test officer said it had codes stored and the CEL also wasn't coming on during initial start. I got home, removed the cluster and found a candy wrapper stuffed over the CEL bulb...

Ended up that car had a bad motor, it was hydrolocked at some point and cyl 6 piston rod was bent causing constant misfiring

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I bought one that I thought someone had removed the MIL bulb, along with the SRS and ABS. It turns out that they only got the ABS and SRS. The MIL was there. Burnt out, but there.

And yes, it was a doctor owned Fl car.

/.randy

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    I always scan the car I buy, before I buy them.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I've been very lucky. I've bought like 12 cars now sight-unseen on eBay (my '98 M was the first), and only one of them was issue laden, and it was an elcheapo low ball 20 miles away that ended up needing a head gasket (if I am remembering right). I bought a salvage title out of a CoParts auction in Chicago once that was delivered with the catalytic converter cut out, but it was for parts anyway, so no harm no foul--but it was certainly a surprise (a loud one). Then there was the 99' M Roady a tree fell on--but I knew that when I bought it.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    When I bought the Z3 in 2012, from a second-hand car dealer, it had an airbag light on the dash (pretty normal if you have the temerity to move the seat with the ignition on). I said I wanted it fixed as part of the purhase, which it seemed to have been. I later discovered that the bulb had been isolated from the terminals where it sits and wired up to one of the other warning lights so that it still came on as expected and then extinguished! I put the bulb back to how it should be, cleared the code and all was well - they must have spent way longer trying to bodge it than it would have taken just to get the code cleared.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I have yet to see a Z3 without an airbag light on. So I don't worry about that after I scan them.

I ran the codes, the usual misfires from bremi coil packs, the SAP error, and that was all the codes it had.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I have yet to see a Z3 without an airbag light on. So I don't worry about that after I scan them.

I ran the codes, the usual misfires from bremi coil packs, the SAP error, and that was all the codes it had.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Last Volvo 240 wagon I bought, driven home from Aspen to Denver, had "newer" tires, one of which completely delaminated and took out the entire spare tire well and mud flap/support upon detonation. My folks were headed that way for a mountain getaway and were nice enough to tail me for about 40 miles, so they got to witness the carnage. My mother was amazed at my ability to save the car during a 70mph fishtail. I didn't tell her it was dumb luck, as the car was on its original 38 year old dampers and didn't quite "handle".

Same car had two washer pumps, front and rear. After the front pump died, PO rigged the rear pump to spray to front, so to clean the window you had to depress the rear wash button while turning the stalk to active the front wipers. But of course the rear wiper would also run when you pressed the button, but without fluid.

At least that car didn't have a check engine light, but it was "mechanic owned" from new.

Worked out in the end; got good $ out of it eventually.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-volvo-240-12/
    Last edited by s8ilver; 10-29-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    And somehow on the three I've had with airbag lights, all of them were fixed by a cleaning of the passenger side seat belt tensioner connection, and nothing else.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    The PO of my Z3 failed to tell me the car had an issue with its gas tank fill cutoff valve. That would've been good to know during my drive from Denver to Phoenix.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    Coupes...
    With the roadsters its that or the side impact sensor because they filled the footwell with rainwater at some point.

I like Coupes.