Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2002 BMW M3 – Build Thread, From the Grave

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i

2002 BMW M3 – Build Thread, From the Grave

So – after barely avoiding a physical altercation in the bank parking lot for negotiating the price (I’m not a confrontational person) and paying a substantial amount for a local shop to do a “pre-purchase inspection” (the report consisted of 28 pictures), I’ve rather impulsively bought an E46 M3. I think it was a steal, or at least I thought it was a steal. We will see if that holds true.

Some details about the car - Chassis: E46; 134k Miles; SMG-II; Topaz Blue Metallic; Black Leather & Aluminum Shadow; Bi-Xenon; Alloy Wheels – 19X9.5J ET22/19X8.5J ET35. Not sure what kind of wheels they are though (mfgr/model), any ideas?; Clean Carfax

The car has been completely neglected its whole life. A true enthusiast would consider it blasphemy.
    Glaring issues (that I know of) – The front bumper is secured by chicken wire – I’m sure that’s a BMW authorized repair method; Rear main seal and front main seal leaking; Valve cover gasket leaking; Oil filter housing gasket leaking; Compression down to 150psi. Within 2psi across all cylinders but getting close to the lower limit; The rear trunk lid grip is held on by tape (looks like the attempt to glue/epoxy it failed). Apparently, the previous owner didn’t have “the fancy type of screwdriver” needed to fix it correctly. I thought Torx drivers were standard – well, maybe not for someone buys a 5.0L Mustang; Wheel rash beyond repair and 225/45 tires on the rear wheels … because it’s “slammed bro, need that tire stretch.” My gut says that might actually be unsafe, but what do I know; Front/rear struts are completely shot (the ride height on the left side is actually 1-ish inches lower than the right), I suspect the springs have been cut and bushing are gone too; Paint is extremely damaged, clear coat mostly gone on the roof, trunk lid, mirrors, and the front bumper, well I am not completely sure what happened there; Reflectors/tow caps are missing (red flag?); Angel eye/halos on the front headlights .. that’s a no; OE grilles from amazon – “BMW race edition”.
    I could go on but alright, on a more serious note though. Underneath it is still an M3. The engine is surprisingly clean (on the outside). It idles smooth, feels fine when driving. PPI revealed no rear subframe damage.

The game plan – pretty much go through the car in its entirety, repairing what was not correctly repaired, replacing what needs to be replaced, and cleaning 20 years’ worth of dirt/grime outside working in. Once it is returned from the grave to an OEM-ish state, it will turn into a high-performance build. Bigly plans - stay tuned.

To start I’ll be completely overhauling/replacing the –

• Windscreen wipers (figured I start with the most difficult task on the list)
    • Front/rear suspension
    • Power steering system
    • Repairing the wheels
    • Repairing the front/rear bumper
    • Rebuilding the headlights and removing the halos and jank wiring for them (I believe it’s causing short, only code thrown though)
    • Replacing the trunk lid grip
    • Probely

From the moment I got into BMW’s, I’ve wanted an E46 M3. Two options -
    1. Buy clean, super low mileage, well taken care of. Then proceed with parking the car in the garage, driving it three times a month, and detail the interior/wax the paint every so often.
    2. Buy one that’s been beat, neglected, destroyed. and go through every inch of the car. Make it mine, make it unique, spiritual bonding? Lol, no, not really, but in some form.
    Either way, might’ve ended up costing around the same, right? We’ll see!

Instagram: downinthebm_

Photos from the listing – taken by scrubtech university.

My Cars
    2003 M3 Convertible,
    Congrats and looking forward to your build. Hope you keep the updates regular. Aside from all the cosmetics, many of those issues are common across the board. I have the leaking seals and struts as well on my 84K M3. The bumpers, hood and trunk give a good chance to upgrade to CSL style parts. How was the interior? That can be a killer in the nickel and dime department.
    03 M3 Convertible SMG Carbon Black/Black
    22 X3 xDrive 3.0 M Sport White/Red

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Fun!

Yeah poor car, but it's good to see that it will be taken care of.

I think those rims are knock-off of the BMW Styling 359 which came on the E-9x M3 and the 1M.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Fun!

Yeah poor car, but it's good to see that it will be taken care of.

I think those rims are knock-off of the BMW Styling 359 which came on the E-9x M3 and the 1M.
    Thanks man!

It was a shame, but yeah it'll be well taken care of here on.

Right? Had the same thought, doubt they're legit 359's painted, maybe? I inspected them for markings but found nothing to help identify origin, not sure what the markings on true Style 359s look like. I'm replacing them anyway with Style 58 Rondells 18X10J ET22 square (pending visual fit check on the front, backspacing numbers are good but may require excessive camber/stretch/rolling to be flush with the side panels - WIP).

IMG_0598[1257].JPG

@Stills

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2772 View Post
    Congrats and looking forward to your build. Hope you keep the updates regular. Aside from all the cosmetics, many of those issues are common across the board. I have the leaking seals and struts as well on my 84K M3. The bumpers, hood and trunk give a good chance to upgrade to CSL style parts. How was the interior? That can be a killer in the nickel and dime department.
    Hey man. Thank you! I'll be updating once or twice a week, may disappear for 1-2 weeks occasionally ha. RMS/FMS definitely common issues - it's pretty bad though. It's steadily dripping. I'll be replacing once the engine is out.

Didn't think of going to CSL route with this car. Plan is to refurbish most of the paint damage - now you've got me interested though ha. I might check prices out.

Interior is C+. Still working out a general plan for the interior. Funny you mention that - it's mostly trim pieces that need replacing and they are definitely pricey! Headliner is in decent shape, center console stuff is B-. The décor strips, bottom panel, column coverings need replacing. I'll attempt to salvage the big nickel and dime items (rearview mirror). Driver seat motor no longer works. Sunroof motor is broken, might delete the sunroof (it'll have to be pulled to repair/respray the paint and clearcoat by the collision shop I use regardless).

https://ibb.co/album/jZq42W

Thoughts on a sunroof delete? And do you know where I might be able to source a used OEM radio? It currently has some crappy aftermarket touch screen, navigation radio unit that doesn't work.

Any thoughts/comments on the SMG-II?
    Last edited by flemm2; 10-28-2020 at 03:25 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Those style 58's are classic IMO. I still have the OG rims on my ride, besides a couple of little mods, it's mostly stock as she is a garage queen. I don't put many miles on it the past 10 years I have owned the car, something like 45k.

You might find more info on the inside of the rims, either behind the spokes or the hub itself.

I would look around Ebay for a stock radio, but then you would have to locate the HVAC back up under it. There are other options from Android that work and fit pretty good, this company is pretty decent fit and functionality IMO: https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-built...-rom-psd8046bl

You would have to replace the whole roof if you want to do a proper job on the sunroof delete, but the cheap way would be to just weld a plate in there and paint over it. FYI stock coupes all use the same headliner so if you find one without, might be worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Those style 58's are classic IMO. I still have the OG rims on my ride, besides a couple of little mods, it's mostly stock as she is a garage queen. I don't put many miles on it the past 10 years I have owned the car, something like 45k.

You might find more info on the inside of the rims, either behind the spokes or the hub itself.

I would look around Ebay for a stock radio, but then you would have to locate the HVAC back up under it. There are other options from Android that work and fit pretty good, this company is pretty decent fit and functionality IMO: https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-built...-rom-psd8046bl

You would have to replace the whole roof if you want to do a proper job on the sunroof delete, but the cheap way would be to just weld a plate in there and paint over it. FYI stock coupes all use the same headliner so if you find one without, might be worth it.
    They're one of my favorite BMW style wheels for sure (style 58 rondells). I ran a 17x8.5J set on an old 325Ci I had for a while and just loved the look. I'm a fan of style 67's too. Are the halo's aftermarket? Previous owner of this car had some installed - I was going to pull them out when I rebuild the headlights but yours look good. At glance it appears that the wiring was done by a professional so might be worth keeping in place for now but the rings themselves need replacing. Decisions.

Good call on checking Ebay for that sort of stuff. I'm sort of a purist (understating) so planning to run an OEM radio setup (along with most other things).

Same comment as above, I don't mess about for the most part. No way I'd hack job/cut/weld the roof. Check this out (diagram is attached) -
    Capture.JPG

P/n 41318242962. ECS tuning sells a primed roof without the cutout. The roof has to come out either way. The shop I use has to pull it to repair paint damage to the existing roof and replace the mouldings regardless. Still thinking on whether or not to delete. Might create electrical problems.

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Update – finally got some free time to take pre-rebuild/build pictures (they aren't great, skills using the old Nikon D70 WIP) of the cosmetic damage. A description of some of the damage is described in my original post. The mechanic's wire is a nice touch .. have a feeling it's damaged some stuff behind the liner. Also refined the phase 1 rebuild plan and started ordering parts. More to come.

1. Lighting. Replacing the front and lateral turn indicators. Will rebuild the bi xenons - sand/buff/refinish the covers and replace the bulbs, cover strips, and gaskets. Replacing the rear lights and fogs.
    2. Front axle. Replacing sway bar bushings, control arms, and rear bracket/bushings. Installing BR racing coilovers.
    3. Rear-axle. Install BC Racing BR coilovers, springs/shock. Going to tackle the rear bushings when I do the differential and wheel bearings.
    4. Brakes. Clean, check pads and resurface the rotors (if there's another material).
    5. Vehicle trim. Take the rear/front bumper in for repair. Replace exterior grilles, windshield cover, front-wheel arch trims. Rear trunk grip (already replaced; I couldn't sleep at night with something taped onto my car)
    6. Steering. Rebuild steering rack, repair/clean lines, and replace fluid, inner tie rods, and outer tie rods.

Went with the budget-friendly coilovers.. hopefully, I don't regret and end up buying the Bilstein later on anyway. Anyone using the BR racing coilovers, thoughts?

Oh and obviously I'll be draining/replacing all fluids.

Finishing up some 100k maintenance on the 328i (pan gasket, valve cover gasket, OFHG, plugs, some other stuff) before I put the M3 in the garage. Should be ready to start digging in a few days – time to roll the sleeves up!

IMG_0008.jpgIMG_0036.jpgIMG_0011.jpgIMG_0059.jpg

More pics - https://ibb.co/album/kVvnxx
    Last edited by flemm2; 10-31-2020 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I got my Angel eyes from Umnitza, and was a pretty easy install. I went thru the parking lamp with the cables, as it was just easier for me that way instead of trying to drill/cut/splice in someplace else.

There are companies that sell carbon fiber roofs, google is your friend here.

Something else to budget in would be rod bearings, best to be safe than sorry when it comes to them.

I have never heard of BR racing, so let us know what you think.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Update – I started taking the front end apart this weekend. I removed the front wheel-arch trims/coverings (smaller ones attached to the front bumper), front bumper, front carrier, bumper mounts, air ducts/brackets, front air duct, washer fluid reservoir, horn, and pusher fan. Missing jack mount already replaced.

It looks like the mechanic’s wire that was holding up the front bumper of the left side was also wrapped around the grounding circuit damaging the jacket and exposing the wire. The left wheel-arch trim/covering is the wrong part? It doesn’t have cutouts for the temperature sensor/headlight washer heating sensor; both sensors were hanging freely behind. The brackets for the air ducts are trashed. The reinforcement plate is gashed; it looks like the previous owner took it off-roading. The front bumper was worse off than I thought, but I still mendable, I believe. OEM springs were replaced with H&R lowering springs.

Replace – air duct brackets, wheel-arch trims/coverings, bumper guides, bumper cover gasket, headlight covers/synthetic strips, front air duct, and associated hardware. Mending/Refurbish – front bumper, side air ducts, pusher fan, exposed electricals. Retrofit – headlight washer system delete. I am removing the washer fluid lines and nozzles. Leaving the pump in the reservoir and pulling the fuse (assuming there is a fuse just for the headlight washer pump).

I am dropping the front bumper off for repair within the next few days—

FILE0005.EXIF.jpgIMG_0160.jpgIMG_0211.jpg

https://ibb.co/album/gFDZys

https://ibb.co/album/phWLjY
    Last edited by flemm2; 11-02-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    IG: downinthebm_

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The wheel arch panel will have a "M3" branding on it, so if you cannot see one, then they must have use one from a stock car.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    I got my Angel eyes from Umnitza, and was a pretty easy install. I went thru the parking lamp with the cables, as it was just easier for me that way instead of trying to drill/cut/splice in someplace else.

There are companies that sell carbon fiber roofs, google is your friend here.

Something else to budget in would be rod bearings, best to be safe than sorry when it comes to them.

I have never heard of BR racing, so let us know what you think.
    Any other tips you have regarding s54 rebuilds welcome. That'll be new territory for me (coming later). Need to do more research.

- - - Updated - - -

The wheel arch panel will have a "M3" branding on it, so if you cannot see one, then they must have use one from a stock car.

Yeah good call, must've been stock. The new ones came today, big M3 marking and the left panel has a spot for the washer fluid heater sensor or whatever it is and the temp. sensor.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The S54 is pretty stout, it really only has 2 weak points, the bearing and the sprocket to cam bolts. Now there are a couple of other "wear" items like the VANOS seals and the timing chain guides, the exhaust hub tabs breaking off, and perhaps another I have forgotten.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Update –

Got the front bumper delivered to a local BMW certified collision shop (@Loids Collison Center) for repair today. Excited to see how it comes out.

Rear suspension, shock absorbers/springs are out. The rear bumper is off. All the insulation in the trunk has been taken out for cleaning. Couple of things to replace – the battery tray (tab for the hold-down bracket is broken), the breather coverings (falling apart), bumper guides. The battery hold-down bracket is missing; a new one is in order.

Tail-lights and inner tail lights are being replaced with OEM (not a fan of the smoked lights), along with the bulb carriers. The bulb carrier for the inner tail lights only has a spot for one bulb (the reverse light), so I’ll replace those with the version that has both reverse and brake.

Dropping the subframe and finishing up the front axle suspension stuff (control arms, brackets/bushings, sway bar bushings, installing the coilovers, next week. Might bring the brake rotors in for resurfacing if there is enough material – was planning to tackle brakes separately but currently have some downtime waiting for parts. Doing some cleaning up of the kingpins and wheel bearing hubs (rust removal) (wheel bearings will come later).

Noted: the rear bushings, engine, and transmission mounts are entirely shot, and the differential needs attention (leaking from multiple spots). Planning to tackle that after the front axle stuff is finished. Genuine BMW tooling to service the rear bushings is $500+; if anyone has used an OE kit/off the shelf alternative that got the job done, let me know!

*Have not been super on point with the picture taking, but I’m working on it.

FILE0073.EXIF.jpgIMG_0305.jpgFILE0068.EXIF.jpgFILE0076.EXIF.jpg

https://ibb.co/album/QFhw48

- - - Updated - - -

The S54 is pretty stout, it really only has 2 weak points, the bearing and the sprocket to cam bolts. Now there are a couple of other "wear" items like the VANOS seals and the timing chain guides, the exhaust hub tabs breaking off, and perhaps another I have forgotten.
    Sounds good - thanks man.

My Cars
    Aston Martin, E46 M3, X5
    Excited to see your progress and glad another M3 is being brought back to life. I did something similar last year. I bought one with a destroyed engine for dirt cheap and put in a refurbed engine and did an SMG to manual conversion:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...407131-Project

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by dalecan View Post
    Excited to see your progress and glad another M3 is being brought back to life. I did something similar last year. I bought one with a destroyed engine for dirt cheap and put in a refurbed engine and did an SMG to manual conversion:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...407131-Project
    Sweet - taking a look now. Looks like there's some good bits. I've been wondering if the SMG/Engine could come out while assembled or not. Jelly you got that for 700$!

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Got the rear bumper off and delivered to Loids and the front bumper back – amazed! Looks like new. Still cleaning up the front end and sorting some of the exposed wire stuff out. New covers/hardware and stuff are in. FCP Euro coming in clutch – still waiting for parts from ECS.. will dig into the suspension in the coming weeks.

Parts have been rolling in so should have some fun updates coming up. Planning to run a mix of Liqui Moli oil additives to temporarily slow the fms/rms leaking.

IMG_0271.jpgIMG_0278.jpgIMG_0274.jpg

https://ibb.co/album/KmsJD0

Cleaning kingpins, covers, all as I go. Need to get some pictures.
    Last edited by flemm2; 11-16-2020 at 04:05 PM.

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by flemm2 View Post
    Got the rear bumper off and delivered to Loids and the front bumper back – amazed! Looks like new. Still cleaning up the front end and sorting some of the exposed wire stuff out. New covers/hardware and stuff are in. FCP Euro coming in clutch – still waiting for parts from ECS.. will dig into the suspension in the coming weeks.

Parts have been rolling in so should have some fun updates coming up. Planning to run a mix of Liqui Moli oil additives to temporarily slow the fms/rms leaking.

https://ibb.co/album/KmsJD0

Cleaning kingpins, covers, all as I go. Need to get some pictures.
    Getting in deeper, something seems off with the paint. I've got both the front and rear bumpers back now and appears that the blue is definitely a different shade in certain light. After staring at it for several hours haha, I decided to pull the gasket railing adjacent to the rear window and the paint color under the trim is 100% a different shade. I don't know much about paint - anybody who knows paint who can weigh in would be appreciated - could 20ish years no wash/waxing cause dramatic fading of this particular paint color? Looks like someone took it to Maako to me.. no other evidence of an unreported accident yet but not pleased w/ the paint sitch. Everything else is going well. Updates coming.

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    And bump for the rear bush question -

Genuine BMW tooling to service the rear bushings is $500+; if anyone has used an OE kit/off the shelf alternative that got the job done, let me know!

Most of the parts/hardware to tackle to rear axle/diff bushings, diff, and output shafts are in but need to get the tooling squared.

Asking before I search*, I might as well reinforce the rear subframe while I'm in there doing the bushings. If anyone has ref to a good write up to do so shoot me a linky.
    Last edited by flemm2; 11-19-2020 at 03:44 AM.

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Alright – seem to be deviating from the plan slightly, lol, but I’ve finished cleaning up the rear. Replaced the battery tray, installed a new battery hold-down bracket, and routed a new drain/vent gray battery tube (I think that’s right?); cleaned up the parking sensor contacts/housings and rear carrier; replaced the vents/breather coverings; fitted a new foam pad and reinstalled the rear bumper; and replaced the inner and outer taillights and backings.

Note: I think the procedure I used for reinstalling the rear bumper is ‘more better’ than the one in the Bentley. Would do a write-up, but I forgot to take pictures. Just removed the rear carrier from the chassis, fit the bumper to the carrier, mounted the bottom cover, and reinstalled the entire assembly back onto the chassis. Just needed to remove a couple extra trims in the trunk to access the hex nuts (it took 3 nights of lying in bed awake strategizing to arrive there, haha). Ensure the bumper is squared on the pad though, there wasn’t much room to adjust the spacing, but I got it to 4 +/- 2ish mm.

Getting the foam pad screws in place properly after the bumper is mounted onto the carrier (while still attached to the car) I found to be literally impossible. Maybe if my hands were rubbery elastic or if I was Germanic. Ditto for the hex head screws that hold the cover on. Another thanks to the engineers at BMW, who always keep accessibility while servicing in mind. Ha! Yea, no, none of that matters once you’re behind the wheel of a bm.

Wishing I had the post face lift rear lights – maybe on the next one?

62516593057__B87B91B6-071E-454F-A301-198BF56AD80A.jpgIMG_0308.jpgIMG_0313.jpgDSC_0026.jpgDSC_0123.jpg

https://ibb.co/album/Tr516G

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You can get the LED tail lights, just need to reprogram the LCM for the LEDs is all.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by flemm2 View Post
    Alright – seem to be deviating from the plan slightly, lol, but I’ve finished cleaning up the rear. Replaced the battery tray, installed a new battery hold-down bracket, and routed a new drain/vent gray battery tube (I think that’s right?); cleaned up the parking sensor contacts/housings and rear carrier; replaced the vents/breather coverings; fitted a new foam pad and reinstalled the rear bumper; and replaced the inner and outer taillights and backings.

Note: I think the procedure I used for reinstalling the rear bumper is ‘more better’ than the one in the Bentley. Would do a write-up, but I forgot to take pictures. Just removed the rear carrier from the chassis, fit the bumper to the carrier, mounted the bottom cover, and reinstalled the entire assembly back onto the chassis. Just needed to remove a couple extra trims in the trunk to access the hex nuts (it took 3 nights of lying in bed awake strategizing to arrive there, haha). Ensure the bumper is squared on the pad though, there wasn’t much room to adjust the spacing, but I got it to 4 +/- 2ish mm.

Getting the foam pad screws in place properly after the bumper is mounted onto the carrier (while still attached to the car) I found to be literally impossible. Maybe if my hands were rubbery elastic or if I was Germanic. Ditto for the hex head screws that hold the cover on. Another thanks to the engineers at BMW, who always keep accessibility while servicing in mind. Ha! Yea, no, none of that matters once you’re behind the wheel of a bm.

Wishing I had the post face lift rear lights – maybe on the next one?

62516593057__B87B91B6-071E-454F-A301-198BF56AD80A.jpgIMG_0308.jpgIMG_0313.jpgDSC_0026.jpgDSC_0123.jpg

https://ibb.co/album/Tr516G
    You're okay with that respray match? Eek.

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    You can get the LED tail lights, just need to reprogram the LCM for the LEDs is all.
    Yeah, I didn't realize that until afterward! I'm good with the bulbs for now though, also don't really want to retrofit the LEDs to this car.
    Last edited by flemm2; 11-20-2020 at 01:35 PM.

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    You're okay with that respray match? Eek.
    Hey man. It's not the respray - something is off with the color of the body pieces that haven't been resprayed (I think).. I verified this by pulling a couple of the trim pieces around the windows. The paint color under the trim pieces matches the resprayed parts. It's hard to believe the difference in color is purely a result of aging, I just don't know enough about paint. Was hoping someone with experience could weigh in. The shop I use is BMW certified, almost certain the resprayed color is right. Maybe it's just new? But also, the color of the paint in the engine compartment matches the exterior pieces not resprayed yet, haha! I don't know, I've been going in circles with some of the paint/cosmetic stuff.

But no, I'm not good with it at all.. still working out a path forward. I'll get it sorted out. I don't want a color match if it's not the genuine color is the thing. I might hold off for now on the paint and finish the rest of the car.
    Last edited by flemm2; 11-20-2020 at 01:28 PM.

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Update –

Started on the front/rear suspension and steering. Dropped the subframe and removed the power steering stuff (it was disgusting).

• Cleaned up the power steering rack, reservoir, hoses, etc. I'll reuse all the power steering hoses for now; if they're leaky after I reinstall/test, I'll replace them.
    • Removed rust and refurbished the subframe
    • Removed the larger wheel arch liners and other trim pieces currently off the car; cleaned them up and visually inspected inspected
    • Cleaned up the washer fluid reservoir and pumps; cleaned and visually inspected the pump gaskets; tested pump functionality; removed the headlight washer fluid lines and nozzles (from the headlight mounting bracket)
    • Cleaned up the horn assembly
    • Removed the halo/angel eye jank wiring that was causing short circuit faults
    • Um... I'm starting to lose track a bit. I think that's it.

Noting: "Cleaned up" – degreased or washed with mild soap/water and rinsed. Inspected for damage. Metal parts wire brushed, rust removed (chemically, as applicable, fortunately, there's not much rust on the car) and plastic stuff brushed/rinsed, welded (as appropriate), and treated. Electrical contacts, sockets, and housings, brushed, rinsed, and sprayed with IPA; housing gaskets inspected. All that is 'as applicable'.

Waiting for some hardware to come in, oh, and I forget to order the steering flex joint, so waiting on that too. I'll get everything reinstalled and do a test run before proceeding with the rear axle stuff. Rear bushes and hardware is starting to arrive. Still need to get a parts list together for servicing the differential seals/gaskets and doing a drain refill. Need a parts list for the drive axles too, should just be boots and hardware (diff. flange to drive axles and driveshaft to diff.). I'll do the rest of the driveshaft ('guibo’/flex-disc, center bearing, etc.) when the engine/trans comes out.

• Thinking about swapping in a BMW motorsport ring and pinion set too, what final drive, though? Still working that out. Any thoughts in general welcome

I really suck at taking good pictures.

https://ibb.co/album/0pSBKf

DSC_0011.jpgDSC_0014.jpgDSC_0106.jpgDSC_0109.jpg
    Last edited by flemm2; 11-20-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast