BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: WTB: 2000-2003 530i or 540i AUTO ONLY

My Cars
    2003 M5

WTB: 2000-2003 530i or 540i AUTO ONLY

I sold a gem of a daily 530iA cruiser back in February to help facilitate my E39 M5 purchase, but now I'm really missing it as a daily (M5 is a weekend car only). Looking to get a clean, unmolested and well cared for example with some service history.

I don't have a preference for sport models vs non. I've owned both and can appreciate both for their characteristics.

Exterior Color: can be anything, but my least favorite is black.

Interior Color: Prefer Black but will entertain grey. No beige.

IDEALLY: Automatic with the tiptronic sport mode, Heated Seats, heated steering wheel (non-sport models), folding rear seats, PDC, No NAV, No DSP. (I realize this is a rare combo but it's everything I miss in the car I sold).

Show me what you got. Located in NYC, but willing to travel/ship for the right one.

NO: 528/525, Aftermarket radios, aftermarket suspension, accident history, CAIs, JDM stickers or exhaust mods. I want it as close to bone stock as possible.
    Last edited by Thanassi44; 10-25-2020 at 04:28 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i M Sport
    Hi there! Did you find what you were looking for?

I've had my 01 540i/auto for about 4 years now. 120k.

Zero rust. Definitely not a MN car initially.

Paid $6k for it and have another $6k into it, but know I'm never expected to increase its value. I love everything about it except the headroom. (I'm 6'4.) I'm the 4th owner, previous was a construction company's owner's wife. She wanted to get a Vette like her husband. Got a '94 vette. Regretted selling this as it was faster, more comfortable, and handled better. No joke. They had just spent $1200 on Pilot Super Sport 3's all around the staggerd m sport wheels. Rears have one season left, fronts are great. I tried to break em loose once and said 'nope, I don't go fast enough for that.'

I picked up some 16x7 BMW rims and put XIce on them last year. Thsi thing is AMAZINGLY fun in snow. I never drive enough, but perfectly predictable RWD. Touch of oversteer, comes right back by lifting throttle, predictable counter steering, turn stability back on over 40mph and it's civilized at 70 in the snow.

Light blue exterior, grey interior. Tiptronic is perfect. PDC, no nav/DSP. Sport wheel, no fold down seats.

Previous owner upgraded to an aluminum racing radiator - I assume they had the overflow tank fail and never wanted to deal with that again.
    They also added the 'm audio' sub tray - so there are subs you dont' see in the trunk. They removed the cd changer and put in a 'helper amp' for the little subs. nothing visible, nothing boomy, just deep good bass on stock audio system - but with an ipod connector by the ebrake.

Exhaust stock. Suspension stock, recently did sway bar links.

First thing I did when I got it was replace the headlight adjusters myself. Those are 4 years old, not cracked. Then fuel filter for good measure.

I fell in love with it and wanted to bulletproof it.

TCG, VPG, VANOS all done 20k ago by an ASE certified master mech (not bmw shop, but knows his stuff). All gaskets of While you're in there (intake manifold, TB, new PCV..) 5k ago it threw a timing code, adv one cam tone ring 1 degree. Go figure. Not a single CEL / Code in 20k miles other than a coolant level sensor. Did most of the cooling hoses in front/side/behind while in there. Oil separator / timing chain replaced as well. Also have done water pump and PS pump for good measure (noisy, didn't want a problem later). Overheated once. AUX cooling fan - replaced myself. Surprisingly easy.

I've run BMW Blue Coolant (always) and Mobil1 5w30. Changed Transmission filter, replaced lost fluid (redline something or another). Removed drain plug 10k later, replaced that volume of lost ATF again (better than a power flush, in my opinion).

Known issues:
    Locking Fuel Door Cap got stuck. Disconnected solenoid, replaced fuse. Never bothered to replace as I don't need a locking gas cap.
    Driver window stopped working last week.
    Coolant Level Sensor can be tempermental. CLS screws into bottom of aluminum overflow tank. Leaked, tightened (hand nut), has once falsely reported low. NBD.
    at ~50, for just a brief speed moment, there's a tiny tiny shimmy. In anything else, I wouldn't care. This has always been my 'perfect' car, so I note Thrust Arm Bushings are going to be due in the next 10-20k. But hey, OEM suspension at 120k, that's to be expected.
    Noisy / uppity a little on cold starts - just warming fluids.

I don't drive it enough with all the work from home, and with my height I've been eyeing an X5...

I know I'm forgetting something... Anywho. Drop me a line if you're still looking.