Thread: 1980 635CSI recaro seat frames

My Cars
    00 MRoadster '83 745i,

1980 635CSI recaro seat frames

My son has a 1980 Euro 6. It currently has tan recaro seats. Not much leather left, the foam is mostly shot, and the webbing under the seat cushion is virtually non existant. They have the adjustable front section of the cushion, and are manually operated, not power seats.

He is on a budget, as he and his wife are expecting their first child in March. He got a great deal on an 89 e24 parts car with the same color interior, and is planning to use the pristine power seats from the parts car, wire harness, console and all.

Mechanically, they are fine. All adjustments work as they should. Is there a market for his Recaro seat frames? If so, what is a reasonable price? Frankly, he could use some extra funds to help pay for some of his restoration costs on the car. Shipping would be a killer, so a local sale seems like the best plan. He would be willing to hold them for someone that might be travelling down I-35, I-44 or I-40 through Oklahoma City, if that worked out.
    Thanks for any feedback.

Lynn

My Cars
    635csi, 325is, 740il
    Just make sure he's aware that seats from an 89 aren't a direct fit to an 80. He will need some way of adapting the frames to fit the older style bolt pattern.

Alex

All cars are money pits, it's just that some people love theirs more than others.

The '85

The '83

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Recaro seats are still worth $100 regardless of condition. You won't be able to make a local sale in Oklahoma though, maybe if you were in southern California. You can ship them on Greyhound pretty reasonable.

My Cars
    00 MRoadster '83 745i,
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex E24 E30 View Post
    Just make sure he's aware that seats from an 89 aren't a direct fit to an 80. He will need some way of adapting the frames to fit the older style bolt pattern.

Alex
    Fabricationi isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Recaro seats are still worth $100 regardless of condition. You won't be able to make a local sale in Oklahoma though, maybe if you were in southern California. You can ship them on Greyhound pretty reasonable.
    You might be surprised. Pretty good presence in the BMW CCA here in OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    You might be surprised. Pretty good presence in the BMW CCA here in OK.
    Last edited by lynnbilodeau; 10-28-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    635csi, 325is, 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnbilodeau View Post
    Fabricationi isn't an issue.

Best answer of the day. Good luck on the seats!

Alex

All cars are money pits, it's just that some people love theirs more than others.

The '85

The '83

My Cars
    77 630Csi, 81 Euro 6, 84
    Any chance you still have the seat frames?

My Cars
    00 MRoadster '83 745i,
    Digging up an old thread here. Holy ancient past, Batman!!! My son now has three kids. The "first child" he was expecting in 2013 turned out to be identical twin boys.

I am the OP. Still have these seat frames. They are still sitting in the 88 parts car. My son is thinking he wants to restore the car (80 Euro 635CSi) to original. That means finding cushions and leather seat covers front and rear.

Any idea if there is an aftermarket source for early Recaro seats? How about upholstery?

Attached my favorite pic of the grandsons, even though it is 4 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    I was just looking for parts for mine today, I’ve had my eye on this place for a while. https://www.2002parts.com/bmw/interior.html

The kids are precious but how bout some pics of the car!!