Thread: BMW e46 320i 2.0 150Cp Vvt 1999 NFL - Noises at engine

My Cars
    BMW E46 320i 2.0 1999

Exclamation BMW e46 320i 2.0 150Cp Vvt 1999 NFL - Noises at engine

Hi, I am new to the group and I would like to know as much information and help as possible before making any changes. My engine runs overall fine but I have the following symptoms:

- When I start it cold, the tachometer oscillates 1min -2 until the whole engine is lubricated (I guess)

- the sound of air whistling(more of a rubber hose air blow) as if it were losing air somewhere in the intake area, although it appears to be the sound of a hose

- a specific flicker that I can't locate at idle in principle ( flicker/small rattle/can't really pin-point the sound in english, i am not native)

- low power up to 2500-3000 speeds in principle up to 100km / h, after take off and goes really well. (I associated it with delay, it takes something until it gains momentum)

- the engine does not die, it does not suture, it does not skate

What I changed / did:

- oil, all filters, changed the PCV valve were both hoses broken
    - when I remove the lid with the engine running, it stutters but does not die
    - the vanos in the intake does not make noise, I put my ear on it to listen
    - It doesn't sound like a piston issue or noise
    - I have only one error in the lamda probes but I deleted the error and it did not appear
    - the throttle valve is clean
    - I disconnected and connected the DISA damper but there was no difference in sound, it doesn't seem to have any problem

Sorry if I didn't express myself well, I'm still learning and I hope I posted according to the rules. Here is a 70Mb video with all the symptoms:

Thank you for reading, please let me know on your opinions ..

https://share.icloud...WlTYsXpfK9bUKrA

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What are you using to read the codes in the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak)? It sounds like you have a vacuum leak. The tachometer oscillates when the engine is idling because of vacuum leaks.

My Cars
    456 X3s
    I am not an expert. But sounds good, looks good...thought I might have heard something when you were at the drivers door recording? Guess I would have to be there in person.
    Any jobs last done with or around the intake? And you are getting no codes...no?
    Cheers!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW E46 320i 2.0 1999
    i dont really know, the guy that checked has a dedicated software from an ancient laptop and had windows XP on it . However i should re-check all the errors soon, it does oscilate when on idle for like 2 minutes after that it calms down even tho it son idle , so it sounds to me like its a matter of oiling or warming up. I cant identify where it could leak air

My Cars
    BMW E46 320i 2.0 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by X3456 View Post
    I am not an expert. But sounds good, looks good...thought I might have heard something when you were at the drivers door recording? Guess I would have to be there in person.
    Any jobs last done with or around the intake? And you are getting no codes...no?
    Cheers!

Didnt really do anything to be honest , i am planning a few things but i dont wanna go spend money before i can narrow down the list of things that ca be considered an issue. I will soon change DISA device, Vanos intake rubber rings and check AGAIN all the ruber hoses and check for cracks or anything like that. Its pretty difficult to pin-point where i'm leaking air. I will go and check the errors again maybe it can help.

My Cars
    456 X3s
    You say... -the sound of air whistling(more of a rubber hose air blow) as if it were losing air somewhere in the intake area, although it appears to be the sound of a hose

Do you have anything else to go on other than sound...once it warms it's fine you say.
    Have you spray cleaned the idel control valve, MAF sensor?

Last edited by X3456; 10-24-2020 at 10:04 AM.

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino16 View Post
    Didnt really do anything to be honest , i am planning a few things but i dont wanna go spend money before i can narrow down the list of things that ca be considered an issue. I will soon change DISA device, Vanos intake rubber rings and check AGAIN all the ruber hoses and check for cracks or anything like that. Its pretty difficult to pin-point where i'm leaking air. I will go and check the errors again maybe it can help.
    Here's one I kept in my library...

https://youtu.be/ue3N5Pg9yJw

My Cars
    BMW E46 320i 2.0 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by X3456 View Post
    You say... -the sound of air whistling(more of a rubber hose air blow) as if it were losing air somewhere in the intake area, although it appears to be the sound of a hose

Do you have anything else to go on other than sound...once it warms it's fine you say.
    Have you spray cleaned the idel control valve, MAF sensor?

They looked fine so i didnt spray with anything , adding on the list of things to do . I watched ur video, very uselfull !! by the place the noise comes i really think it can be one of the injector hoes , will check up and come back with feedback .

My Cars
    BMW E46 320i 2.0 1999
    So, i had a look around today at the air filter boot and hoses to see if there is anything broken or cracked. Everything is okay, i have took down the DISA and it works perfectly, looks good , no issues in functionality there . I couldnt remove the IDLE control valve but i shall do it in the following days and come back with more feedback ! Also i will put a tester on it. I will check the exhaust for rattle noise, it seems i have a small rattle reving, underneath the car. So i suspect there is something in the exhaust, like some components from the catalyst.