Thread: OBC displaying PPPP, tried all the usual steps

My Cars
    1995 525i/5

OBC displaying PPPP, tried all the usual steps

Hey all,

I’ve been trying to track down this annoying OBC issue and I’ve hit a bit of a dead end so I was hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction.

My car is a 1992 (late 91 build) 525i/5. When I bought it, the OBC just said PPPP and did not work. Here’s what I’ve tried so far to troubleshoot the issue:

- Replaced the gauge cluster with one from a 1995 525i that was known to be working. Swapped the coding plug over from the 92 cluster to maintain the correct mileage. No change.

- Replaced the OBC with the one from the 1995 525i. Worked fine in the 95 car but no change in this car, still says PPPP.

- Replaced the Check Control Module with one from the 95 car, no change. Still get a warning for my brake pads (sensor wasn’t replaced by previous owner when doing the brake job).

- Checked all of the fuses in the car, everything is good there. There are no other electrical issues and the car runs fine.

- Disconnected the battery for an hour, no difference. Removed the fuse for OBC and left it out for an hour, no change.

Currently the cluster display shows all the usual warnings and then says “Check control, see owner’s manual.” OBC flickers when you press the S/R button, but otherwise no change. Holding the S/R button for 10/20 seconds does nothing either.

Clearly the OBC is getting power since the display comes on and has backlighting on all the buttons, but perhaps there is a communication wire that has been disturbed or shorted?

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions y’all might have, thanks!

1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap
    I would test all the pins in the back to make sure you are getting correct voltages, if you arent, then follow the wire(s) that are bad and see if there’s a split somewhere, usually near a grommet that has worn or come out causing the wires the chaff on the metal. If they all test good then it can possibly be your ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    scroll to the bottom of the page
    http://unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/obc.html

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresco34 View Post
    I would test all the pins in the back to make sure you are getting correct voltages, if you arent, then follow the wire(s) that are bad and see if there’s a split somewhere, usually near a grommet that has worn or come out causing the wires the chaff on the metal. If they all test good then it can possibly be your ECU.
    Do you know what the voltages should be in each pin, or do you have a diagram to reference? This will probably be my best option to figure out what the heck is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    scroll to the bottom of the page
    http://unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/obc.html
    I’ve tried the removing OBC trick, I left it out of the car overnight and no change. My OBC doesn’t have a reset button or a place to use a pin to reset it, that tip might be for older units.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    vw transporter
    Hi I once had a similar issue but on an e46 320i not sure what year of manufacture. Using INPA I went thru the KOMBI and there was under the “activations” there is a “software reset” option. For me that was what brought sanity back to the cluster and the PPPP. Just a suggestion if you can also try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Mine shows PPPP after a battery disconnect

Have you tried setting a date? Or holding down s/r for 20 sec?
    I did a search and found this thread with those and other ideas like mentioning a fuse https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...P-OBC-Question

And this one mentioning rear relay and steering column damage https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...omputer-issues
    Last edited by fo3; 10-23-2020 at 06:29 AM.

My Cars
    92 M5
    Same issue with mine, tried leaving the OBC disconnected for 24 hours, tried cleaning the connectors and check control box, looked for a broken fuse, no dice.