Thread: Another M10 article

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i

Another M10 article

Hagerty has posted another article about the M10: https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazi...wsletter_NewDD

I got a laugh where it says that the 320i was "code-named" E21.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Would have been cool to see a DOHC m12 head hit the factory.

I wonder just how popular those turbo kits were. You barely see em today. Probably due to the shorter lifespan for turbos..

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Quote Originally Posted by dreiermann View Post
    Hagerty has posted another article about the M10: https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazi...wsletter_NewDD

Terrific article, thanks for posting.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320

doh wrong post
    Last edited by autox320; 10-22-2020 at 02:24 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Nice to know this product line is not forgotten,,lol

Randy

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    doh wrong post
    Liked the article thanks for sharing. I'm a m10 fan of course. I think BMW "Adrenalin" has a great history timeline for the racing side. If don't have a copy should buy one.

but sidebar thoughts

I think they meant chevy vega not corvair. The vega shares more competition of the era with similar layout of the time. Especially the cosworth vega. Honestly never heard of the car until my buddy showed me he has three of them(actual cosworth models) in his yard and a cosworth on a engine stand in his shop. Neat engine being all aluminum but problematic being so. The race versions had iron blocks with output of 260 all motor hp. It was a interesting discovery with beers in hand at his shop. Chassis were built like Italian cars ie alfa's and rust like crazy.

I asked my dad about these and he said lightweight car and majority engine swapped for drag racing back in it's day.

race trim cosworth vega for roadcourse
    vega.jpg
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    Since the time frame was early 1960s, he probably did mean the Corvair - the Vega was, what, 1970? But it is beyond me why he referenced to Corvair version of the Beetle engine when he could have just referenced the Beetle engine itself.

Didn't the normal-production Vegas (not the Cosworth) have aluminum blocks? I remember those disappearing from the roads even before they had a chance to rust (meaning, VERY quickly), my recollection is that there was an engine issue.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Since the time frame was early 1960s, he probably did mean the Corvair - the Vega was, what, 1970? But it is beyond me why he referenced to Corvair version of the Beetle engine when he could have just referenced the Beetle engine itself.

Didn't the normal-production Vegas (not the Cosworth) have aluminum blocks? I remember those disappearing from the roads even before they had a chance to rust (meaning, VERY quickly), my recollection is that there was an engine issue.
    Yeah probably right. I think the standard engines were very anemic, yup aluminum blocks with serious oiling issues. Up the hp and cracking etc. Even the cosworth aluminum version was maybe ok to 160-180hp before issues. Iron block version is rare but how chevy competed with it.

Funny my buddy also has corvairs in his lot also.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"