Thread: Recommend a site for selling a used car

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Recommend a site for selling a used car

A friend has passed away and I am charged with disposing of his car. Its a 5 year old worth almost $20k, I obviously do not offer financing so need a buyer with ~$20k in their pocket.
    Craigslist turned out to be a fabulous place to troll scammers and listen to absurd offers from the bottom feeders.
    E-bay, even priced competitively drew zilch.
    I tried listing it @ CarGurus, what a mistake THAT was. A day after I list it they send ME an e-mail touting a bunch of competing listings, all from dealers who are clearly their priority.
    Its not a BMW btw
    Ideas?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Carmax, take what they give you.... If you want to wash your hands off of it.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Carmax, take what they give you.... If you want to wash your hands off of it.
    I wish I could.
    My friend knew he was dying and made sure all of his affairs were in good order, his widow is financially set for life. He asked me to make sure his wife didn't get screwed selling it, I promised to get what the car was worth.
    I had his wife get offers from Carmax and the original selling dealer. Both of them expect to make ~$4k compared to what they are asking for similar cars on their lots. This car needs NOTHING, not even detailing, it presents as new. Its a used car dealer's dream. The lazy F*$%s could simply park it and wait for a buyer.
    If I even get low to middle retail money I've fulfilled my promise.
    I opened a facebook acct expressly to use the marketplace as I'm told this is popular. I can't access the marketplace because I'm new. I have ZERO desire to post or view photos of your/my dinner, dog, vacations, etc. so looks like that was an exercise in futility.
    Last edited by ross1; 10-23-2020 at 07:03 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    My experience with Craiglist was like yours. Just low ball offers. Cars.com and Autotrader worked well for me a few years ago. Mostly serious buyers. Pretty easy to gauge buyer interest at different prices.

Dealers do offer some convenience -- easier to see the car during normal hours, and they do the paperwork which is daunting to many. People who are looking to get a car from an individual seller are still looking for good deals. If you get the best price you can after trying for a while, I'd say that's what it's worth.

It's good of you to do that for your friend.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    My experience with Craiglist was like yours. Just low ball offers. Cars.com and Autotrader worked well for me a few years ago. Mostly serious buyers. Pretty easy to gauge buyer interest at different prices.

Dealers do offer some convenience -- easier to see the car during normal hours, and they do the paperwork which is daunting to many. People who are looking to get a car from an individual seller are still looking for good deals. If you get the best price you can after trying for a while, I'd say that's what it's worth.

The craigslist bottom feeders make offers less than Carmax, etc. Perhaps if they get a live one they just flip it to Carmax themselves.
    Dealer's have a big advantage with a car like this. I need a buyer with almost $20k in his pocket. A dealer can peddle it to anyone who can fog a mirror by offering financing, yet another profit center for them.
    If it were an interesting car I'd pay her for it as Mrs Ross deserves new wheels. Its an awful hybrid,ewww
    Last edited by ross1; 10-23-2020 at 07:33 AM.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Yeah. For all those reasons, the Carmax offer might be "what it's worth," if they end up being the only bidder, so to speak.

I'd prob list it on Autotrader for a few weeks to see what happens. If you get more than Carmax, great. If not, I'd take their offer.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    How about parking it across the street from a dealer that sells the same brand car with a For Sale sign on it.
    Price it $3K lower than what the dealers would be asking.
    Good luck.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    How about parking it across the street from a dealer that sells the same brand car with a For Sale sign on it.
    Price it $3K lower than what the dealers would be asking.
    Good luck.
    Good idea other than across the street would be another dealer which reminds me of:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHZWdFVyyQ

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post

I just listed it with Auto Trader which is in cahoots with Kelly Blue Book. They claim to do some vetting of the inquiries so I don't expect I'll be asked to send Google codes or take a huge check and wait for an agent to pick up the car.
    I see they have 47k dealer cars listed and several hundred private sales so we'll see the response. Thanks for the tip
    Also reposted @ CL($5WTF) counting down the seconds before the first scam text appears.
    Last edited by ross1; 10-23-2020 at 11:22 AM.