Thread: n63 f10 radiator leaking - are Nissens radiators OK?

My Cars
    1997 4

n63 f10 radiator leaking - are Nissens radiators OK?

Hi,

Did a thermostat change over the weekend (f10 n63 - 550i) and after removing the fan i saw the main engine radiator leaks on both sides.. I suspected a leak, as there was a light loss of coolant, but given the car got out of dealership for the valve seals < 5k miles ago, i was expecting them to "see" a bit more (last year..)
    Anyway, I see 3 alternatives: Bmw one for 500+$, Nissens for half the price and some other brand on Amazon - but I am not really into it - @350$

I was looking at reviews for the Nissens, and there are not many. I would give Nissens a try. I would consider the bmw one, but seeing my current radiator leaking on both sides at 114k miles, it does not deserve the extra price for a low quality part (as a matter of fact, this is my first radiator change - all my other cars were on original one their lifetime - some twice the mileage and older....)

Have you tried Nissens radiators? I see it is a Danish company that makes them in Slovakia. Any experience with them?

As a side topic, am I learning right that the impellers of the coolant pump are made of plastic? I see ECStuning does not have any model with metal impellers ... I think BMW should avoid accepting designs made during peak Oktoberfest... not funny... especially judging n63 Dual mass flywheel with encased bolts accessible with offset torx 60 only....
    Last edited by JohnelP; 10-21-2020 at 12:13 AM.

My Cars
    For what it's worth, I think I've only replaced one N63 water pump, ever.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnelP View Post
    Hi,

Did a thermostat change over the weekend (f10 n63 - 550i) and after removing the fan i saw the main engine radiator leaks on both sides.. I suspected a leak, as there was a light loss of coolant, but given the car got out of dealership for the valve seals < 5k miles ago, i was expecting them to "see" a bit more (last year..)
    Anyway, I see 3 alternatives: Bmw one for 500+$, Nissens for half the price and some other brand on Amazon - but I am not really into it - @350$

I was looking at reviews for the Nissens, and there are not many. I would give Nissens a try. I would consider the bmw one, but seeing my current radiator leaking on both sides at 114k miles, it does not deserve the extra price for a low quality part (as a matter of fact, this is my first radiator change - all my other cars were on original one their lifetime - some twice the mileage and older....)

Have you tried Nissens radiators? I see it is a Danish company that makes them in Slovakia. Any experience with them?

As a side topic, am I learning right that the impellers of the coolant pump are made of plastic? I see ECStuning does not have any model with metal impellers ... I think BMW should avoid accepting designs made during peak Oktoberfest... not funny... especially judging n63 Dual mass flywheel with encased bolts accessible with offset torx 60 only....
    BMW water pump impellers have always been plastic, even on the older models.
    I think you'd be OK with the Nissen. They've been in business since 1921.
    Denso also makes one that's like $113 Denso is a Japanese company and they make a lot of BMW parts.