Thread: One ignition coil fails after replacing other coil

My Cars
    E39 530i

One ignition coil fails after replacing other coil

Hi, my car is a ´01 530i manual, 95,000 miles. I´ve got it for two years.

For a few months my car has a certain stuttering under aceleration between 1800-2200 rpm. Not too bad, but awkward.
    Two weeks ago I connected INPA to my car and I got a code "Ignition Zyl 3". I bought a new ignition coil (Bosch) and replaced the old one. The stuttering dissapeared, the car ran great, smooth as silk.
    But...this morning I started the engine, and inmediately I noted my car wasn´t running properly. After a couple of kms. there was heavy stuttering at low revs, loss of power and a beautiful check engine light shinning in my instrument panel.
    Connecting INPA again and now it pulls the code "Ignition Zyl 2". I took out that coil, put the old one that was in the no. 3 cylinder, and the car, while not perfect, runs decently.
    I´ve ordered a new Bosch coil, tomorrow I´ll get it.

Question is...is it normal that, after replacing a coil, the others could start failing one by one? When I get the coil I´ve just ordered I´ll put it in the no.2 cylinder, but I´m afraid the rest of the old coils will fail in a matter of weeks/months.

If you recommend to replace all the coils, it´s OK, they´re not too expensive, but if I can avoid the extra cost, that´s better.

If I replace every coil I´ll replace the spark plugs, too. Bosch or NGK?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Well, I just posted response and it disappeared.
    Anyway, it is possible that another one bit the dust as they don't last forever.
    I found over the years that Bosch made in Slovenia and NGK BKR6EQUP are the best value for money in my opinion.
    I don't subscribe to opinion to replace the coils as they die. If you have original set and 2 are dead, I'd replace them all as the new ones and old ones mixed won't produce same firing strength.
    I've been finding Bosch under $40 per coil and NGK plugs for $6 a piece.
    Last edited by BMW540san; 10-19-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    99 M3
    01 530? What is your battery condition?
    Not sure if you have access (peal a label back?) to check fluid level? Top up with distilled water and apply low amperage charge for a couple of days. Then have battery load checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    Well, I just posted response and it disappeared.
    Anyway, it is possible that another one bit the dust as they don't last forever.
    I found over the years that Bosch made in Slovenia and NGK BKR6EQUP are the best value for money in my opinion.
    I don't subscribe to opinion to replace the coils as they die. If you have original set and 2 are dead, I'd replace them all as the new ones and old ones mixed won't produce same firing strength.
    I've been finding Bosch under $40 per coil and NGK plugs for $6 a piece.
    That makes sense, after all we don´t replace spark plugs per units, but the whole set.
    I´ve just installed the new coil (Bosch made in Slovenia although the boot is made in Spain...), the car runs great again.

It´s a good moment to replace the other 4 coils, I can get Bosch ones online at €40 (that´s about $46, I don´t see them cheaper). Not too bad. And of course a set of new spark plugs.

Thanks a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    01 530? What is your battery condition?
    Not sure if you have access (peal a label back?) to check fluid level? Top up with distilled water and apply low amperage charge for a couple of days. Then have battery load checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Battery is about one year and a half, I would have to check it, but I´ve just replaced the suspect ignition coil and the car runs well again, so it seems that coil was just old.