Thread: 135i? 650i? z4?

My Cars
    97 M3 sedan

135i? 650i? z4?

Hey all.
    I'm a former BMW owner (1997 M3) and don't have a "fun" car right now - I drive a plug in hybrid and have for about three years now. Since they seem to be so cheap, I started seriously looking at one of the three cars in the title. Anyone have any input based on the bullets listed below? Are there any other cars I should also think about?
    -This would be a second car for me and I might drive it 4,000 miles per year. No winterizing for me, I would probably just keep it under a weatherproof cover and drive it 1-2 times per week when the weather cooperates.
    -I'm 6'5 215lbs. I may be an idiot posting before this but I haven't sat in any of the cars so I'm not sure if I can fit. Just from reading various posts, I should be good for the 650 and 135 and might be good for the z4.
    -I want to spend $10,000 or less
    -My last "fun" car was a 2005 corvette which I absolutely loved. It seems to get back in a C6, I need to spend at a minimum, $15,000 but it would likely be more like $20,000.
    -Convertible or nothing. The targa roof on the Corvette was really satisfying. It was even better because it couldn't break.
    -I don't need a lot of power and the Corvette's ~400hp was almost too much. You could go from 30 mph to jail in less than five seconds. It was kind of exciting to have that much hp but I'm past the days of having a high hp number just to claim it. BUT I had a 2000 Honda Prelude (200 hp, 0-60 in 6.7 and 1/4 mile in 15.2) which was fun but I'd like to have a little more power than that. The 97 M3 was quicker but maybe a little more power than that would be cool but I don't think I would be
    -I won't track or do any driving events with the car. I like spirited driving but even that might be driving mildly fast around a few turns or banging through the first three gears once or twice per drive and then that's it. No redlining the engine for 20 minutes at a time.
    -I'm ok at working on cars. Just a driveway and normal tools. I would rather take it to a shop than start doing major repairs but at the same time, I don't want to drive 4,000 miles per year and have a $2,000 repair bill each year. I would call a major repair something where you're taking the engine internals apart or moving or replacing a major, heavy piece of the car.
    -I would strongly prefer a manual transmission but I could deal with an automatic.
    Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I’d get a 128

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    I agree with the previous poster that if you are looking at the 1 series, a 128i sounds more appropriate than the 135i.

But since this is the E85 Z4 forum:

Since you mentioned your size, I would definitely sit in one before committing. The E85 Z4 is low-slung and entry/exit may be challenging if you have any mobility issues. On the other hand, I was amazed at the amount of headroom with the top up, especially compared to my previous Miatas.

It is relatively easy to find a low-mileage Z4 as many were kept as weekend/fun cars, just as you were describing your intended use. For the power you say you want, I would stick to the 3.0i (2003-2005) or 3.0si (2006-2008). There was a 3.0i offered in the 2006-2008 model years, but it is lower powered than the 3.0i from the earlier years. Most were sold as automatics so finding a manual may be more difficult. I would avoid the SMG transmission from the earlier years.

In terms of maintenance and reliability, the E85 Z4 was based more-or-less on the E46 3 series and is one of the last of the simpler BMWs (no I-drive, for example). The E85 is one of the more reliable BMWs, although not exactly Japanese-sedan reliable. When things break, they can be pretty expensive, especially if you have the dealer do the work (hint: find a good independent mechanic). In addition to hand tools, a BMW-specific scan tool (e.g. Foxwell, Carly, INPA, NCS) is pretty essential for diagnosing/resetting control module issues - and you will find pretty much everything works off a control module. In fact, when you start evaluating a BMW, a scan with one of those tools should be an essential part of the inspection.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    Agree completely with Keeton. I have a Z4M and love it but you won’t find a good one for your budget but that doesn’t matter and here’s why... the 3.0 cars Keeton mentioned are almost as quick at less than license threatening speeds, are much more plentiful and will cost a whole bunch less to maintain. Not to say stuff is cheap if it breaks; it isn’t but the regular maintenance is much less with the Z4 3.0.

I find mine great to drive and enjoyable as a fun car. I’d not daily it as my roads suck and the ride would be punishing. I’ve also not driven the other cars on your list but vote for the Z4 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by keeton View Post
    I agree with the previous poster that if you are looking at the 1 series, a 128i sounds more appropriate than the 135i.

But since this is the E85 Z4 forum:

Since you mentioned your size, I would definitely sit in one before committing. The E85 Z4 is low-slung and entry/exit may be challenging if you have any mobility issues. On the other hand, I was amazed at the amount of headroom with the top up, especially compared to my previous Miatas.

It is relatively easy to find a low-mileage Z4 as many were kept as weekend/fun cars, just as you were describing your intended use. For the power you say you want, I would stick to the 3.0i (2003-2005) or 3.0si (2006-2008). There was a 3.0i offered in the 2006-2008 model years, but it is lower powered than the 3.0i from the earlier years. Most were sold as automatics so finding a manual may be more difficult. I would avoid the SMG transmission from the earlier years.

In terms of maintenance and reliability, the E85 Z4 was based more-or-less on the E46 3 series and is one of the last of the simpler BMWs (no I-drive, for example). The E85 is one of the more reliable BMWs, although not exactly Japanese-sedan reliable. When things break, they can be pretty expensive, especially if you have the dealer do the work (hint: find a good independent mechanic). In addition to hand tools, a BMW-specific scan tool (e.g. Foxwell, Carly, INPA, NCS) is pretty essential for diagnosing/resetting control module issues - and you will find pretty much everything works off a control module. In fact, when you start evaluating a BMW, a scan with one of those tools should be an essential part of the inspection.