Thread: 1987 325is premium audio with amp and fader struggle

My Cars
    1986 325e

Angry 1987 325is premium audio with amp and fader struggle

I have looked at every thread and post and I知 still at a complete loss. Wiring help would be greatly appreciated. I know I need to delete the fader out of the equation but I can稚 find any speaker wiring that can correspond to any wiring diagram. I値l include pictures of everything so you guys can get an idea of what I知 dealing with. I have the factory amp in the trunk by the antenna which I知 open to suggestions of taking out of the equation or keeping wired in. I just want it to work.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    What's the end of the brown and purple look like?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    These are your speaker connections. Only hook up the positive wire from your new radio to the positive from these and your radio will give you music Screenshot_20201018-145641.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Find the plugs that fit that connection

- - - Updated - - -

And your fader will still work
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1986 325e
    I only have 1 wire on each plug. The other is power image.jpg

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    So to make it clear, you are installing a period correct 2 channel BMW head unit into an 86 car with the premium sound and amp already installed. Is this correct?
    For wiring diagrams, go here http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Those 2 connectors with 2 pins/1 wire are your speaker outs. Don't worry about the second wire as the return path is through ground. Yellow is left and blue is right. These 2 leads run next to the fader control which then splits each channel into a front back pair. From the fader to the amp you have yellow/black & yellow/red for the left channel and blue/black & blue/red for the right. Return path for all 4 channels from the amp is through chassis ground.

The pigtail with the yellow and white wires is memory power and dash lighting. It joins to a connector with a red/green memory power to yellow and gray/red dash lights to white.

The remaining three connections on the head are antenna/amp turn on (narrow pin), 12V switched (middle pin) and ground (final pin). In your second picture, you have a bunch of white wires going into a connector. It looks like there's a single wire with a terminal and heat shrink. I believe that's wire you connect for turn on. Finally there should be a connector around there with a violet/gray wire (12V switched) and brown/black (ground) that will connect to the back of the unit.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1986 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    So to make it clear, you are installing a period correct 2 channel BMW head unit into an 86 car with the premium sound and amp already installed. Is this correct?
    For wiring diagrams, go here http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Those 2 connectors with 2 pins/1 wire are your speaker outs. Don't worry about the second wire as the return path is through ground. Yellow is left and blue is right. These 2 leads run next to the fader control which then splits each channel into a front back pair. From the fader to the amp you have yellow/black & yellow/red for the left channel and blue/black & blue/red for the right. Return path for all 4 channels from the amp is through chassis ground.

The pigtail with the yellow and white wires is memory power and dash lighting. It joins to a connector with a red/green memory power to yellow and gray/red dash lights to white.

The remaining three connections on the head are antenna/amp turn on (narrow pin), 12V switched (middle pin) and ground (final pin). In your second picture, you have a bunch of white wires going into a connector. It looks like there's a single wire with a terminal and heat shrink. I believe that's wire you connect for turn on. Finally there should be a connector around there with a violet/gray wire (12V switched) and brown/black (ground) that will connect to the back of the unit.

helpful thank you. But I should have stated before it痴 a aftermarket alpine single din head unit.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have tweeters in the door. So the kick panel speakers, the doors, and the rear deck speaker and tweeter mix

My Cars
    1986 325e
    I think I’m just going to run new wires. I believe my amp is shot so I’m just going to replace everything and make it nice. I’ll replace kick panel speakers, door tweeters, and the deck speakers, and a new amp and probably put a sub in the trunk. Any suggestions on brand? Was thinking of keeping it pretty close to my alpine brand head unit.

My Cars
    that is all personal preference. some people like a particular brand and want all that type of stuff, some people want only the best of each different thing. i like rockford fausgate subs, and a number of midrange and high companies. for subs, i have no preference. i will use jensen, or whatever i happen to have around.
    No e30s again.