Thread: New dumb questions, cooling system this time.

My Cars
    1992 525it

New dumb questions, cooling system this time.

I'm trying to put together a parts order for all the cooling system hoses, so I can install my new radiator and freshly rebuilt heater control valve. I'm pretty sure they (hoses) are almost all original to the car, so I'm living on borrowed time before one blows. I haven't tried following all of the hoses to see where they go to, and whether or not they can be accessed from under the car, and it's been pouring down rain recently. The one from the back of the block to the heater seems like it's gonna be a beyotch even if it can be reached from there. But the ones that disappear under the intake manifold are the ones I'm most concerned about. Can they be changed without taking off the manifold, or do I need to add manifold gaskets to my parts list? And, if so, what other parts will I need to get in order to put it back together again? Search hasn't been very helpful for finding the answers to these query's.

Thanks.

edit:

I got a break in the rain, and used the braille method to find all but one of the places the hoses go to, and it sure won't be easy to get to several of those clamps and hoses without yanking the intake and likely more. The hoses look like they'll make it until spring, the radiator is 10 years old but lowish mileage, newish wp and thermostat, and full time heat isn't gonna be a problem for a while, so I think I'll procrastinate until springtime before tackling this. . I noticed I'll need to do a vcg at that time, so the whole crazy cycle of replacing the car one piece at a time can start over where it began almost 10 years ago.

I can get the bits I need when they go on sale between now and then.
    Last edited by xcastaway; 10-13-2020 at 06:47 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Mileage is virtually irrelevant for cooling systems.

E34 M50 cooling system hoses:
    aux pump to heatervalve 64211384763
    engine to aux pump 64211384746
    Canadian cars apparently ran no aux pump, used hose 64211391387 from engine to heatervalve. UPDATE: I have no idea why this is a separate hose. 746 just as easily goes straight to the heatercore as to the aux pump.
    heatervalve to heatercore, port 64211384711
    heatervalve to heatercore, starboard 64211384712
    upper radiator 11531720678
    lower radiator 11531722852
    four-way between radiator, block, throttlebody, and heatercore return 11531738054 Gates 24131 Vaico V20-0155
    block to throttlebody thermostat 13541738622
    throttlebody thermostat to throttlebody 13541730684
    Last edited by moroza; 02-10-2021 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    some
    Those last two (air filter box t/stat I think ) were the worst on mine (not worse to replace, but worst condition because they were ignored 29 years). Soon after I got my m50NV I felt I needed to take off the inlet manifold to address the vac leaks and idle valve - and check the manifold gaskets). But ever since I got a lot more comfortable with it I've never needed to remove the inlet manifold again no matter what the job - there's room for nearly everything and plenty more from underneath too.
    It's the exhaust side that sucks - especially with RHD cars!
    Last edited by fo3; 10-14-2020 at 11:31 AM.

My Cars
    1992 525it
    A good bit of the plastic degradation in the radiator is due to heat cycles, so lower mileage does play a part. It's due for replacing, either way, and I have that almost new one sitting there. I'm probably going to get FCP's Rein e34 hose kit and add the other 4 hoses to it to get the complete set. I've not had the intake manifold off on mine yet, but it doesn't look possible to get the new hoses up into place and tightened properly with it being in the way. And getting the old ones off won't be an easy task to do either, particularly the one from the rear of the block. Cleaning my icv and changing those hoses damn near necessitated a transfusion given all the sharp objects hidden under there!

My hands and arms haven't recovered from my fiasco with the transmission, and then doing the struts, so typing this has them cramping up into claws. Adding the intake manifold, and now VCG to the mix has made it a bridge too far for the time being. I'll gather the parts together, and if we get a stretch of several warm dry days over the winter I'll probably tackle it before spring. Shade tree mechanics in the winter in the land of lots of rain serves as quite the gumption trap for me. and there are lots of details that need to be attended to inside the car that will keep me busy. I need to pull the console apart and get my backup lights hooked up, and figure out why my grounding the wire that is supposed to cure the trans program error message didn't. If I can find the ambition, I'm even going to tackle the mess the PO left behind the climate controls, and install all the parts that he left out that cover up the heater core and try to get everything put back near where they belong so it fits together right. That's one I am not looking forward to.

And I still can't get the damn sunroof to open, so I can clean out the rear drains, so I'll have to back into my parking spot anytime it might rain, or put a shower curtain over the roof to keep a lake from forming in my spare tire well. I believe it is the coating of pine sap the seals get on them that is causing enough drag to stop it from going beyond the tilting of the rear panel before it clicks and stops dead in it's tracks. Pine needles slip right past the seals too, so there may be a lump or two of them doing more than just clogging the drains. I'll have to re read the sunroof manual and watch Uber Soldat's video again to see if I can figure out how to get it to open up again. A wonderful feature when it works right, but those rear drains are a nightmare for those of us living under pine trees.

For now, I'm pleased with the new clutch and struts, and the flywheel combined with the chipped ecu have made her feel like totally different car, so, as long as none of those hoses burst on me, I'm happy for the time being.