Thread: Setting ride height with SLS

My Cars
    2000 528iT

Setting ride height with SLS

After reinstalling original airbags in my touring, I've been vexed with the right side sitting about 3/4" lower than the left side.

I've used my scanner to enter the measured ride height (center of hub to top of wheelarch) in many attempts to even out the right height between the sides. It still sits low on the right.

I've also followed the scanner's process for observing the voltage values coming from the ride height sensors on each side. Although the voltages are different right to left, they do respond to changes in ride height, suggesting to me that they are working.

I'm a couple of steps from giving up and putting springs in - has anyone had this issue of uneven ride height come up, and how did you solve it? Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Make sure both ride height sensors are oriented properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 528iT
    I believe they are, as in the voltages track up or down in sync with each other. Or should I be looking for bent mounting brackets and such?

My Cars
    99 540iT
    You can fine tune each side with INPA.
    99 540iT - Merlot Truckster (TCG done 134k, might sell...)
    00 528i/5 - Grüen Arrow (sold)
    93 740i - Grün Hornet (sold)
    00 740iL (R.I.P.)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Robert, remember what I told you to do? Pull the wheel off, disconnect the sensor arm and move the arm up and down just to see if the sensor was sticking?

- - - Updated - - -

See if it is moving smoothly?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    Good luck, this was the reason I took my air springs out and installed regular springs. Peace of mind

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '00 540iT
    Just fudge on the INPA settings until you get it right. I ended up not worrying what the actual numbers were. Also make an adjustment and drive around the block. Changes are not instant. There is some slop in the system so the compressor is not on all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 528iT
    I thought I would provide a coda to this thread. StephenVA graciously provided me a laptop with the INPA software installed. Turns out that although I had a Foxwell scanner, it was little more than a placebo.
    Although it would take me through the steps of a recalibration, it never actually did anything.

Once we hooked the INPA up, it was apparent that it was able to write commands instead of just read them. I was able to get the ride height better, but not perfect, trying to set it to sport suspension spec. Then I went and tried to set my suspension to normal ride height, and it worked like a charm. Right and left sides have evened out.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Success! Yea.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2012 BMW X5 35D e70
    Quote Originally Posted by raftel View Post
    I thought I would provide a coda to this thread. StephenVA graciously provided me a laptop with the INPA software installed. Turns out that although I had a Foxwell scanner, it was little more than a placebo.
    Although it would take me through the steps of a recalibration, it never actually did anything.

Once we hooked the INPA up, it was apparent that it was able to write commands instead of just read them. I was able to get the ride height better, but not perfect, trying to set it to sport suspension spec. Then I went and tried to set my suspension to normal ride height, and it worked like a charm. Right and left sides have evened out.
    I've been completely lost!!! I had similar issues. At first, the air bags...changed them and then it was the compressor...changed! I had disconnected the battery to complete the replacement of the compressor and all hell happened!! First, the rear drivers side is like completely maxed out and the rear passenger side seems to be where it's supposed to. The X5 is lopsided now and driving me NUTS!!! I purchased the Foxwell NT530 and it doesn't do squat! I've played with it for nearly a month now thinking I was doing something wrong! I've come to the conclusion that for one, Foxwell may be good for certain things, but not necessarily to properly calibrate the compressor. I've changed everything but the ride height leveling sensors, which I was now considering doing as I can't understand why one side is so high compared to the other! Every time I think I've leveled it out...I take it for a drive and while driving, the rear drivers side airs up to its max. I'm still in this miserable boat PLUS and secondly, after reconnecting the battery, I have no radio sound...radio is on, but no sound; now warning tones, no bluetooth and my HUD is not working!!!!

Seeking guidance and recommendations PLEASE!!!

2012 BMW X5 35D w/Comfort Access
    Last edited by 12X535D; 12-16-2020 at 11:16 PM.

My Cars
    2016 BMW X5 2011 BMW 340
    Hey bud, I think what may have happened here, it is just a possibility, but if you let that battery drain down too much, you may need to have your module(s) reprogrammed. This happened to me on one of my other BMWs with a battery that was, apparently, just a bit too low on power and that was all it took. However, my locks were not working, mirrors wouldn't fold, a bunch of odd issues. How old is the battery? Just a thought, hope you get this fixed.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Water in the front passenger floor underneath the front seat. Check the white junction box connections to see if they got corroded.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2012 BMW X5 35D e70
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscorob View Post
    Hey bud, I think what may have happened here, it is just a possibility, but if you let that battery drain down too much, you may need to have your module(s) reprogrammed. This happened to me on one of my other BMWs with a battery that was, apparently, just a bit too low on power and that was all it took. However, my locks were not working, mirrors wouldn't fold, a bunch of odd issues. How old is the battery? Just a thought, hope you get this fixed.
    After all of these issues started, I also thought maybe my battery was low, so I replaced it. Still the same! So...I have a 1 month old battery. I'll begin chasing down the MOST modules with a fibre optic loop to see which module may have been affected, but what's really killing me, is the ride height.

My Cars
    2000 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 12X535D View Post
    I've been completely lost!!! I had similar issues. At first, the air bags...changed them and then it was the compressor...changed! I had disconnected the battery to complete the replacement of the compressor and all hell happened!! First, the rear drivers side is like completely maxed out and the rear passenger side seems to be where it's supposed to. The X5 is lopsided now and driving me NUTS!!! I purchased the Foxwell NT530 and it doesn't do squat! I've played with it for nearly a month now thinking I was doing something wrong! I've come to the conclusion that for one, Foxwell may be good for certain things, but not necessarily to properly calibrate the compressor. I've changed everything but the ride height leveling sensors, which I was now considering doing as I can't understand why one side is so high compared to the other! Every time I think I've leveled it out...I take it for a drive and while driving, the rear drivers side airs up to its max. I'm still in this miserable boat PLUS and secondly, after reconnecting the battery, I have no radio sound...radio is on, but no sound; now warning tones, no bluetooth and my HUD is not working!!!!

Seeking guidance and recommendations PLEASE!!!

2012 BMW X5 35D w/Comfort Access
    Note the other comments on this thread, especially regarding the white junction box under the passenger seat. Foxwell scanners are useless to set ride height, but they can read and reset codes from the suspension. I ended up borrowing an INPA, which did the trick for me.

Robert

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    Reviving an old thread, but can OP or another walk us thru the process with INPA of getting the suspension evened out? Would eb a great help!
    Quote Originally Posted by raftel View Post

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Robert you are on…
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Could also use some insight on this. Recently installed a set of KW coils on my E39 540iT and the right side is sitting lower as well.
    Current Cars: 2001 750iL, 2001 540iT
    Previously Owned: 2003 530i, 1998 M3, 2001 740i, 2004 M3, 2000 M5

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    See RAFTEL answer about. If you need more pm him directly
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    z3
    Been years since I've done it, but it's within the EHC module (will need a round port adapter or just jump 2 pins in the round port and use OBD2 cable to communicate). There will be a page in there that allows you to manually input values. Last time I did this was on my 2-axle air suspension E53, but IIRC, the values you input there offset from the current measurement, if it's too low, use positive values, use negative values if it's too high. Then there is a calibrate option which will save the settings. I just parked it on flat level ground, measured the gap, changed some settings, drove the car backwards and forward a few feet to let it settle, then once I was happy with it, saved the settings.

I'll be doing a bunch of work on the rear of my fiance's 525iT coming up soon so I'll probably have to go through this process again, if anyone still needs help with it at that time I will document it and share the process. It was really pretty straightforward though once you are in the right module. I pretty much just messed around with it until I found what worked. INPA is pretty low risk in that regard

Quote Originally Posted by peacoben View Post
    Could also use some insight on this. Recently installed a set of KW coils on my E39 540iT and the right side is sitting lower as well.
    Well that definitely isn't going to be an issue related to the air suspension calibration...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!