Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Best protection for OLD RED PAINT

My Cars
    E36 318iC 6mt vert

Best protection for OLD RED PAINT

I have a '96 Hellrot Red E36 vert. It's spent most of its life under a cover or in a garage so the paint is in really good condition. I'm driving it more now so it's spending a lot of time in the blistering Texas sun. Last year I used a Griot's DA polisher with their 3 in 1 cleaner/polish/wax. I wash it every weekend and once a month apply Turtle Wax Seal & Shine.

Is there anything else that I should be doing to protect the paint?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    You could go with a synthetic sealant like Jescar PowerLock instead of your monthly Turtle Wax. The PowerLock will last 6 months on well prepped paint, maybe longer. I bought a 16 ounce bottle several years ago for about 30 bux and it will likely be the last bottle of wax and/or sealant I buy. It takes very little.

The next step is a ceramic sealant, which is more expensive but will last longer. Some say the ceramics require professional application but there are some DIY kits out there.

My Cars
    E36 318iC 6mt vert
    Thanks!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    In Texas? Cover it when not garaged. Red fades.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E36 318iC 6mt vert
    Fosho. It spent it's first 12 years in a garage when not being driven. Half of the last 11, it was under a carport and then five years under a cover. It's been outside generally uncovered for the last year because I'm driving it. So the paint is pretty nice for as old as it is. I guess I should just clear out the garage so I can park it in there.