Thread: 2004 E85 top flashing red

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping

2004 E85 top flashing red

Just replaced my top canvas. While stripping out old and moving top back and forth to get access got the red flashing light.
    It was early on in fitting so I'm assuming I've dislodged something near header.

As of now.. new top fitted but only have manual operation. Red light flashing continously and no operation when button pressed (no window movements etc. )

Where is sensor in header? And how to access to check? Or can it be confirmed somewhere else with meter?

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    If it worked before you started, it's likely the switch for the adjustable tray that holds the top when it's down. The switch is accessed through the trunk. It's in the center of the panel at the front of the trunk. The tray actuates the switch if the tray isn't in the lower position. I'd start with that.

Sent from my S48c using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Shelf is still out but had someone hold switch (audible click) so likely not it. But will take it out tomorrow and jump it to confirm.

I think I was still letting liner go and window trim when I got the flashing red and everything stopped. Not to trunk at that point and didn't have aluminum frame unbolted.

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    Ok, that's all I can think of for now. It's been 3 years since I did mine.

Sent from my S48c using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Here is wiring for roof: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_1638

There is a cable wire that end's near the header. Since you believe it involves the header area this is where I would search. If you reinstalled the liner, you may have to pull it again.

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Wiring... that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
    Removing liner is minor... trying to avoid pulling entire top right now. I've contorted enough in that trunk for this week.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Muzz Thanks for info. First link is for e89. Second (Pelicanparts) has comment with similar symptoms. But only says to scan to see what sensor is not working.

Couple questions... in header there is a hall sensor to confirm position of "locks". How do you get access to that one to check position? And is there only one on driver side or two... one on each side.
    Or can I unplug it, move locks and meter it?

Two sensors by door frame... easily see one with top open. Is second one just below it? (Still trying to avoid pulling top. Lol)

Also, is there a way to clear faults in module without scan tool? I'm wondering if I've just messed up sequence while moving top back and forth working on it?

Have liner peeled back and no further ahead.

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Just add. I think it thinks top is in closed position... even when stowed and locked open (100%manually) if I open and close door window makes slight down with open door and up when closing door. I don't believe it does that with top down normally.

Plus key fob lock starts sequence to close windows or open when button held. So I assume car knows position of windows at all times.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Can't help with header sensor's info.

Here is location of second sensor on lifter (follow posting down and you will see pic's) https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124374

This is your call, you could try disconnecting battery for a time to sort of reset roof computer (not sure if that's correct name for it) If you do Battery disconnect, after reconnecting battery remember to reset windows before trying roof.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Sounds like it is time to equip yourself with a good scanner with BMW software. Scan the soft top module and see what is wrong via the trouble codes and digital inputs etc.

INPA or BMW Standard Tools
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation
    https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...tools.1274003/

Foxwell NT530 scanner with BMW software
    https://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesal...installed.html
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Managed to see both sensors at door frame (look ok)

Giving up for now. Ordering a scan tool.

Still open to suggestions.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    The controller for the convertible top is in a white plastic box behind the driver seat. You'll have to remove the plastic wall covering by removing 4 screws around the speaker. Once you've done that you will be able to reach the white plastic convertible top controller. The sensor's (all of them) harness run into this box. Maybe your adjusting the old/new top somehow pulled the harness plug out of this white box. Although it most likely isn't this, it can hurt to rule it out.

I'm going to strongly suggest you cross post this problem on the UK Z4 forum. I believe the one member is an actual BMW tech (not 100% sure on this). However, I'm aware he's solved some tuff roof problems. This persons on line name is "number5".

Here is the link for this forum: https://z4-forum.com/forum/index.php

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Foxwell scanner showed up today...
    Top is Showing codes...
    22 CVM Switch, cowl panel unlocked short circuit to ground

42 CVM Drive, cowl panel short circuit to positive.

So, looks like wiring problems. Hopefully will get time tomorrow to start looking... any suggestions on where to start?

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    You did the change out without disconnecting the battery. Your first step should be checking all fuses.

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Yeah, checked fuses. Will confirm tomorrow again, but were ok

Quickly looked around tonight and "42" reset. (intermittent???) Only showing code 22 now.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    As I'm sure you already did, googling that code did not result in an exact match. However, everything in the same ballpark which did pop up dealt with convertible tops, mostly Z4's. These codes also dealt with broken wire's in the convertible top's wiring harness to the front motor/locking/unlocking system.

Based on these similar code results, I'm guessing a break in the wiring. If so, I'm hoping the break can be traced without issue.

Yea, a blown fuses would have been easier

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Have I mentioned how much I hate tracing electrical problems....

Stripped everything back and can't see anything. (Looking for a wiring diagram to match plugs to test continuity right now... ie... wire color on cmv plug to wire color on plug at top)
    Codes are still 22 and 42.

Live data ... only thing I can see is " convertible top catch" shows implausible when I manually operate the locks. (Goes from open to implausible).

How do you get access to that sensor on the lock? Is there a way to jump it out on plug at right point to prove that is the problem? Before take everything apart again.

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Spring is here. Car out of storage and so far replaced the harness. Cleared previous codes.
    Still got the flashing red top indicator. Trouble code...
    1F CVM Switch, cowl panel locked. Short circuit to ground

Live data has everything working except the front panel hall effect sensor for locked. (Moved metal over it ... nothing. The unlocked sensor indicated when I did the same). Wiring is all replaced.

What am I missing? Another weekend wasted on this... although I'm really fast at removing and reinstalling roof now.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    If you've installed a new harness and it's still flashing red then...I'm at a loss as well!

Look, try cross posting this issue to the UK Z4 Forum. They have a number of very good Roof people who visit and post there. Maybe someone on this forum had, or is aware of this problem and better yet, came up with a answer.

Here is a link to that Forums problem page:

E85 - E86 Problems - Z4-forum.com

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    I did posted on z4 awhile ago. No response/help.

I just noticed this on parts site....

"Check X201B plug connection!
    Line black/red must be on pin 4
    If not, please repin"

I've got everything back together so I could use the car but never noticed this until now. ??

My Cars
    Z4 Shopping
    Update... just incase someone else runs into same problem.

Had to repin new connector.
    Everything working now.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0Si
    Hey Fudged. Having similar issue w/ my 2006 Z4 top - was working fine, one day raising the top, it closed 98%, then just stopped before sealing to the windshield, red light now flashes and nothing responds to either up or down button (no window movement, no locking mechanism movement, no hydraulic movement or noise), so it seems like I have the same/similar electrical problem and an error code: "22 Switch, cowl panel unlocked, short circuit to ground." But I wasn't working on my top or had changed anything, so it's a mystery why anything would have changed.

Can you please let me know where the X201B plug connection is located in the car, and when you said you had to "repin new connector", can describe this in more detail for me? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudged View Post
    Update... just incase someone else runs into same problem.

Had to repin new connector.
    Everything working now.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Hey, you have the same code as Fudge. His wiring harness from the white control box had a break in it and he replaced the entire harness. His broke when he was replacing the canvass top. Your wire broke from repeated folding of the top over time. You can try and repair the wire which is broken in the harness or get a totally new harness. I posted this same answer on your other posting on this forum. If you get a new harness read the instructions because you may need to adjust the wiring pins. Read fudges ending post on doing the pin.