Thread: Coilovers - opinion?

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)

Coilovers - opinion?

Thinking of changing them during the Chistmas break, this looks quite good for $630:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-godspeed...01-space-~god/

Anybody tried them? I want to maintain factory height and feel as much as possible.

What do you guys think?

My Cars
    E38, E39, 2020 GRACHE
    go with BC coilovers.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexisonfire View Post
    go with BC coilovers.
    That was my plan but dont want to change height nor comfort. Not seeing any matching OEM.
    BC says "minimum 2 inch drop":
    https://www.bcracing-na.com/product/...d=p1206-c27268
    Last edited by georgebest; 10-11-2020 at 10:18 AM.

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Curious, why go with coil overs if your not looking to drop/adjust height?

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettobird52 View Post
    Curious, why go with coil overs if your not looking to drop/adjust height?
    Maybe I'm missing something and not even using the proper terms? Never done this job before.
    The struts started leaking a bit at the front, thinking to replace them. FCP has OEM at a reasonable price, the problem is that not finding OEM springs. I'm guessing no point putting back 20 years old springs.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Found them at a dealer around $170
    What could be OEM brand?

My Cars
    2004 bmw 325i
    DO NOT go with BC Racing. Spend the extra $500 and go with KW coilovers. I personally have BC Racing on my e46 right now and intern at a suspension and an alignment shop that tunes track focused cars. And I can tell you from experience that spring binding and perch adjustments will be by far your worst enemy. The car ride is okay, but at higher speeds it gets quite a bit bumpy on the highway. The perches, both the locking collar for height adjustment on the bottom, and the two pre-load adjustment perches seize up so frequently. If you live in colder areas where they salt the roads this will be even more of a pronounced issue. If you don't want to spend the extra dime, look into godspeed coilovers. Should be just as cheap- if not cheaper than BC racing coilovers and they perform just as well. Tein, Taanabe, d2, they are all just the same re-brand as BC coilovers and come out of the same factory.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    I have a set of ISC on my track car. Decent quality and price.
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifmora View Post
    DO NOT go with BC Racing. Spend the extra $500 and go with KW coilovers. I personally have BC Racing on my e46 right now and intern at a suspension and an alignment shop that tunes track focused cars. And I can tell you from experience that spring binding and perch adjustments will be by far your worst enemy. The car ride is okay, but at higher speeds it gets quite a bit bumpy on the highway. The perches, both the locking collar for height adjustment on the bottom, and the two pre-load adjustment perches seize up so frequently. If you live in colder areas where they salt the roads this will be even more of a pronounced issue. If you don't want to spend the extra dime, look into godspeed coilovers. Should be just as cheap- if not cheaper than BC racing coilovers and they perform just as well. Tein, Taanabe, d2, they are all just the same re-brand as BC coilovers and come out of the same factory.
    We have a set of the BC coilovers on two of our cars, an E46 and another BMW and have not experienced what you are talking about. Furthermore, BC Racing setup has been run from my understanding by a fair number of E38 owners without issues as noted on various forums. So I have to say I don't agree with what you are suggesting above. And no, I'm not in any way associated with BC Racing. IS the BC Racing setup awesome. Nope. But it works and I believe many have said it's one of the better values for the money.
    Tom
    Garage - 2000 750iL -- 2007 Z4M -- 2012 35d X5 mod'ed -- E30 M3 red valve cover -- tools -- misc BMW junk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 750il
    I too went with BC Coilovers (extreme low) and am pleased with them. A thread here this summer mentioned CX Racing coilovers and they were intriguing. The OP never followed up with a post-install review though. The CX coilovers seem better than the Godspeed stuff, as it has an adjustable camber plate (like BCs, Godspeeds do not). The price is incredible (less that Godspeeds). I likely would have tried them over the BC coilovers if I had heard about them prior. They currently appear to be out of stock, but may be worth a contact. Here's a link to the product: https://www.cxracing.com/coilover-bm...MW-E38-1008-PB

My Cars
    Looking for an e38
    Friends, what recommendations do you have for replacing the old OEM shocks with something more performance oriented but not necessarily lowering the ride height?

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmorrisva View Post
    Friends, what recommendations do you have for replacing the old OEM shocks with something more performance oriented but not necessarily lowering the ride height?
    Bilstein B12 pro-kit for E38 https://www.bilstein-shop.com/bilste...-p-236503.html

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    2004 bmw 325i
    We can agree to disagree. Just from personal experience, I have seen a multitude of cars with BC set up, same as mine and most likely yours, and you have to hit the hell out of it with wd-40 and a rubber mallet to get the perches loose. Also, the spring binding is near awful. BC's are great for what they are. If one wants to go low for an affordable price, then yes go with BC. But if you want longevity with performance and that are worth rebuilding. (Keep in mind, to rebuild a coilover shock can be extremely expensive) your best bet is to fork out the little extra cash on something that's better for performance, does not have perch seize up and can go just as low.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Isnt the Bilstein kit lowered (from their website)?
    "lowering (expertise): 30 mm; axle load to: 1230 kg HA: lowering (expertise): 25 mm; axle load to: 1370 kg"

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Isnt the Bilstein kit lowered (from their website)?
    "lowering (expertise): 30 mm; axle load to: 1230 kg HA: lowering (expertise): 25 mm; axle load to: 1370 kg"
    That is the equivalent of the amount of lowering the factory sport suspension has compared to standard. The B12 kit is the aftermarket "Sport" suspension .. no further lowering on a sport package car

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.