Thread: Aerocatch Hood Latches - Where to mount studs?

My Cars
    Estoril M3/4/5

Question Aerocatch Hood Latches - Where to mount studs?

Hey guys,

So I've done tons of research, read all the DIYs, and measured measured measured...and I just have 1 decision to make:

1.) Either I mount the studs in the 2 large holes on the radiator support (where the AC condenser used to be mounted)

OR

2.) I mount the studs thru the OEM latches.

FYI: I don't have access to a welder to weld a plate that I can drill and tap (to get rid of the 2nd nut), so I need to keep a nut on both sides of the stud where ever it is mounted.

The hood is a DTM Fiber Werkz carbon fiber vented hood

With all the measuring I've done, it seems like the hood will not be able to close all the way with the studs in the 2 large holes on the rad support. There will be about a 1/2" gap to the nose panel which looks like the hood will be slightly above the fenders when viewed from the side of the car. This is with the studs screwed down as short as possible.

On the other hand, with the studs mounted in the OEM latches, the stud is mounted much lower and there should be plenty of clearance for the hood to close all the way. This mounting spot also has the top of the stud angling slightly towards the front of the car (when viewed from the side), which appears to be more perpendicular with the surface of the hood where the aerocatch will be mounted (+/- 5 degree tolerance per instructions). But this seems to be less popular, as most of the DIY's or pictures posted do not use this location.

SO, I'm looking for some insight from those that have experience installing Aerocatches on E36's:

What is your recommendation on where to mount the studs? (can be different than the 2 places I came up with)

Please post any lessons learned or special details to be aware of.

This is obviously the last thing I need to do before I can make a mark and drill a hole, so I really want to get it right

Thanks for your time guys.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I had a different brand/type of latch on mine previous to the aerocatches, and made custom "brackets" for them. Reused them for the aerocatches.

IMG_20201011_115347.jpg

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    On my E46 I drilled holes in the core support above the headlights and mounted there. No threaded plate so I used the nut on top and bottom with loctite on both. Only modification was to cut the studs short underneath so the excess threaded portion didn't contact the light housings.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I also drilled hole in the radiator support. Few washers to hold the stud tight and a few washers to hold the hood up in proper positioning when closed and easy work is made.

- - - Updated - - -

Be weary of the steel parts on the latches as well. Sliding style lock nook pins is a no-no as they age horribly. And those aluminum pin styles are very easy to dent, warp, bent, or just get eaten to crap by any soft hits from opening and closing.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    FYI, they now have a version with metal pins.