Thread: Heres one for the techies -

My Cars
    2002 E39 Sportswagon

Heres one for the techies -

I replaced the BMW Nav system with an after-market android unit.
    I was able to retain the dashboard readout screen and can still thumb through all the readouts with the end of the indicator stalk. I still get the radio channels displayed.
    But what I cannot do is set the time, date, nor can I reset any of the readouts such as fuel consumption, speeds, distances etc from the drivers seat.
    I do have NacCoder but this requires me to plug in in the back of the car, holding the laptop, and hitting reset which does just that - resets everything. Then I have to use NavCoder to input the current time and date.

I was wondering if by now anyone knew of anything (gadget, gizmo, contraption, device) that I can buy and install that will allow me to reset and program in the time etc from the drivers seat like it used to be.

Sure, the after-market unit displays time and I have Torque installed, but it doesn't give me mileage and fuel consumption unless its on all the time, and it is hopeless at how far I can go till empty which is a great feature of the dashboard display. And my Mobile phone doesn't like sharing the bluetooth with the OBD WiFi adaptor for Torque either.

My Cars
    00 528i, 01 540i

My Cars
    2002 E39 Sportswagon
    Hey thanks.
    I already have one of these adapters from when i purchased NavCoder. But this was about 4 - 5 years ago and there's no label or ID on my adapter at all. Does anyone know if i can use it and only need the Android App?
    Or do i need to purchase the latest version as per your Link?

The instructions indicate not to use an extension USB cable but my android aftermarket unit only has a cable plugged into the back of it (non-USB plug) and goes to a double USB plug. One of which I'm already using with a Mb Sim card dongle so the Android has direct access to Google Maps, upgrades, email, downloads etc. I guess I'm a bit stuck with this problem if it is a problem. Perhaps someone has already tried it out?

This will be a perfect solution if I can get it to work. Thanks.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Same boat here, although I have a Dynavin, not an Android HU.

The best alternative I have seen is getting a stock HU harness splitter, connect the aftermarket stereo to one end, remove the plug from the other end and extend the wires. Then you relocate the stock MID either under the glovebox or the trunk. Basically anywhere it's partially hidden but you can still access it to reset the counters.

What I do is simply pop out the Dynavin and connect the MID to set the time/date. I don't really care about the fuel consumption meters as my car is modded and not accurate anymore. I haven't been really doing that as much as of late with lockdown and the car having the battery disconnected most of the time.

There may be a "reset" mode if you unlock the OBC which may clear the consumption readouts, but I haven't investigated it. In any case, you would still be with no time/date.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    03' 540i, 05' 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    Same boat here, although I have a Dynavin, not an Android HU.

The best alternative I have seen is getting a stock HU harness splitter, connect the aftermarket stereo to one end, remove the plug from the other end and extend the wires. Then you relocate the stock MID either under the glovebox or the trunk. Basically anywhere it's partially hidden but you can still access it to reset the counters.

What I do is simply pop out the Dynavin and connect the MID to set the time/date. I don't really care about the fuel consumption meters as my car is modded and not accurate anymore. I haven't been really doing that as much as of late with lockdown and the car having the battery disconnected most of the time.

There may be a "reset" mode if you unlock the OBC which may clear the consumption readouts, but I haven't investigated it. In any case, you would still be with no time/date.
    The iBus app should allow for the features he is missing

My Cars
    2002 E39 Sportswagon
    Hi Eric.
    Thank you. I remember this method when I first decided to and investigate installing my aftermarket unit. But from what I remember, it only applied if you had the standard BMW radio where everything was up in the dashboard.
    I had the full factory Nav System (but without DSS) where the screen in in the dash but all the electronics etc are in the back (in my case under the floor of the load area being a s/wagon). One of the things I had to do was run a very long supplied cable from the dash unit back to the electronics where it still plugs into the BMW unit. Thats how it retains the dashboard readout screen in front of the driver I think. I also had to install a small module in the back which let the aftermarket unit talk to the IBus and so the steering volume, change station, phone buttons etc all still work.
    That side of it all works well but they didn't think about how to change/reset the high-end OBC readout in front of the driver.
    The iBus App looks to be a solution as I already have NavCoder and when I want to correct the time (daylight savings) or reset fuel consumption etc, I presently clip the adapter into the aftermarket iBus module connection and with my laptop, do what I need to do from there. But its obviously as convenient as doing it from the drivers seat.
    But thank you for the input.

My Cars
    00 528i, 01 540i
    Hmmmmm interesting, I don't have the Ibus adapter but I do have an android head unit. I also had factory navi and dsp which was re-wired. I did have to run that long harness to the back also. It is on my to-do list to get the Ibus adapter and app installed to the headunit. I have that steering wheel module too, the can-bus decoder or whatever since my steering wheel buttons work but I don't think it can do the same thing as the IBus adapter.

My Cars
    2002 E39 Sportswagon
    Hi and thank you everyone for the inputs.
    Just thought I'd let you know how it all went.

I took out the android unit and it was easy to find the CanBus cable, power and ground on the original blue plug to the original BMW Nav Unit lying dormant behind. I did a quick check that were all alive with a temp connection of the IBus adapter I already had for the NavCoder and it was all okay.
    I made permanent connections and plugged the adapter into one of the two USB plugs available.

Downloaded and installed the I-bus App BMW and was rewarded with it finding the adapter, connecting up and displaying a fair bit of info. As a try it App not everything functioned but I was very happy with what I could see it capable of doing and so paid for the full App. It was activated about 1.5 hours later.

Its very good. Maybe not the greatest interface, but I could still find my way around and set it all up the way I wanted.
    Mainly I was able to reset the consumption and other displays on the OBC and I'd forgotten but this App reminded me that I could cut out some of the readings I wasn't interested in and scroll through a much shorter list. Fantastic.
    I could even type myself a start up message on the OBC screen.

Lots of settings I've had a brief try at. For instance I was supposed to be able to choose what App came on first after the I-Bus App started with the ignition, but this was a bit flaky.
    Can bring up a table of OBD readings or else choose (and change slightly) between digital dials. Not as flexible as Torque, but this all comes up straight away on ignition while Torque takes a while to find and connect up with the OBD bluetooth adapter. Plus Torque competes with my Mb phone for handfree bluetooth connection. I won't mind giving Torque away and only using it for some things the OBC can't monitor.

Never knew I could get both an oil level reading or an oil temperature reading but now I can. *It always baffles me why BMW never monitor oil pressure - seems like a much more important factor to be aware of.

Anyhow - very pleased. It was a great suggestion. And I only had to pay for the App as the existing 4 year old Resler adapter works perfectly.
    I think I may buy another anyway, because now that I have NavCoder on the laptop, it may still be handy to have an Resler adapter to plug into other BMWs if helping a friend or whatever.
    Thank you forum members.
    Last edited by ss2115; 10-11-2020 at 06:54 AM.