Thread: Help! N54 Oil Filter Housing issues

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Help! N54 Oil Filter Housing issues

I have 2 issues on my N54 engine. 1) The local autoshop put a temporary sealant around the oil filter housing of my e92 N54 engine to temporarily keep the oil filter housing from leaking until I fixed it. Now I'm having issues on removing it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this? and 2) I've now stripped the screw (bottom screw closest to the front of the car. Any ideas on how to resolve? I figured I need to tackle the sealant first (see attachment). Thougths?
    Attached Images Attached Images

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I wonder what type of sealant they used? I hope that it wasn't something like JB Weld, for you will have problems getting it off except using a chisle and a hammer.

If all the bolts are out, you can try to use a thin bladed scraper, and tap it around the edges with a hammer to help loosen the housing up.

As for the bottom screw, you will need to get it re-threaded using heli-coil, Time Sert, or EZ Loc. Everybody has their favorites, so you may hear other companies too.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    I hate to say it, but putting some crap on there as a half-assed measure to try and stop the leak was a terrible idea. Secondly, did you strip the threads in the housing? Or you rounded off the head of the bolt and now the tool won't grip it?

Take all three bolts out and try tapping it with a rubber mallet or plastic hammer. If you use something too hard (like a regular hammer) you risk doing more damage. Worst case scenario is you'll need a complete new oil filter housing.

BMW's are not the type of car to defer needed repairs or maintenance. And especially not the type of car to try some hack-job temporary fix.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2006 E60 530i N52
    It's not the shop's fault he declined repairs and went at it himself. Clearly it should have been done by a professional. Now it's even worse than before. The heads are likely stripped off because of the type of bolts they are. You will need both a oil filter housing seal kit and bolt kit. This job isn't as easy as you think. There is coolant running though it, and the alternator is also supported on that housing bracket. So you'll need to remove the belt and unscrew and reposition the alternator, drain the coolant, replace the seals, (now drill and extract bolts) possibly need to remove the fan assembly for that. You also must get the proper bolts. You can't just use regular steel for these engines. The metals are incompatible and deteriorate from a chemical reaction. I got a genuine bolt kit on Amazon once for cheap. Don't just pop the housing off before draining coolant, you will get coolant into your oil galleys.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Coupe
    Correction: Rounded off the head of the bolt not stripped the threads. Thanks for the response

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    Quote Originally Posted by NardsNards View Post
    Correction: Rounded off the head of the bolt not stripped the threads. Thanks for the response
    If you rounded the tips by trying to use a 6pt or 12pt 8mm instead of an E8, you may be able to get it off just by getting a proper E8 on it.
    Otherwise an 8mm extractor socket should do nicely.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Coupe
    Thanks all. I ended up getting it replaced at the shop.