Thread: Smog test blocked, Catalytic converter not ready - please help w/drive cycle advice

My Cars
    '05 330ci Sport

Smog test blocked, Catalytic converter not ready - please help w/drive cycle advice

Took my 2005 330ci in for a smog test and everything shows "Ready" except for the cat.

I've found info on the drive cycle for a 3-series, below. I'm wondering if I can do just the relevant portion of the cycle, i.e., just do part C (which it says runs the catalyst monitor) or is doing the whole cycle required? I am struggling to think of any roads in the area where I could complete the cycle below w/out running a red light or a stop sign, or getting rear-ended...driving 55 on a freeway here in SoCal is asking for an accident, and I don't have any surface streets where I can do 40-60 for 15 minutes w/out running out of road!

Also I've found multiple Drive Cycle instructions. Does anyone know if the first one below is correct, or if the second one below is the way to go?

Thanks! Appreciate any info on this.

Drive Cycle 1:

How to Perform a BMW 3-Series Drive Cycle

Begin by: (Make sure you have between 1/4 and 3/4 fuel in the gas tank. The EVAP test will not run while your BMW has a full tank of gas or the gas tank is near empty. Ensure there are no pending or active trouble codes and that the check engine light is not on. Start the drive cycle from a cold start; preferably on a cold morning.

• A. Start engine and idle for approximately 2 minutes and 10 seconds. The secondary air injection and EVAP leak detection tests are being conducted now.
      B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain steady speed for 3 minutes and 15 seconds. During this drive segment the ECU is checking closed-loop operation and oxygen sensor response time.
      C. Accelerate to 40-60 MPH and maintain steady speed for 15 minutes. The catalyst monitor is being run now.
      D Decelerate to a complete stop and idle while the engine is in gear for 5 minutes. The ECU is testing the system for EVAP leaks.
      E. End of Drive Cycle

If readiness status of all monitors do not switch to “ready,” ensure preconditions are met, and complete a new drive cycle after the engine has cooled overnight. The BMW 3-Series drive cycle (drive trace) requires driving both highway and city speeds. If you feel you might be unable to complete the drive cycle safely, please seek assistance from a BMW repair center or smog check repair station.

Drive Cycle 2:

Step 1: Cold Start

The engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C/122°F and above 6°C/11°F of the ambient air temperature during startup.
    Don't leave the key on before the cold start or there is a possibility that the heated oxygen sensor may not run.

Step 2: Idle

Run the engine for 2.5 minutes with the rear defroster on and the AC on maximum. The more electrical load, the better.
    This tests the Passive Air, O2 heater, Purge "No Flow", and Misfire. If you can achieve a closed loop, then the Fuel Trim will also be tested.

Step 3: Accelerate

Turn off air conditioner, radio, and other loads. Apply a half throttle until you reach 55mph. Make sure to drive on the right most lane.
    This tests the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow.

Step 4: Maintain Steady Speed

You must maintain a steady speed of 55mph for 3 minutes.
    This tests the Air Intrusive, Misfire, EGT, Purge, O2 Response, and Fuel Trim.

Step 5: Decelerate

Release your foot from the accelerator pedal. You must not shift or touch the brake/clutch. The vehicle must gradually coast down to 20mph. Now is a good idea to turn on your hazard warning lights to let other cars behind you be alert on what's going on. They may even high beam you in the process. This is why you need to already be in the most right lane.
    This tests the Purge, EGR, and Fuel Trim.

Step 6: Accelerate Again

Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until you reach 55mph again.
    This tests the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow again.

Step 7: Maintain Steady Speed Again

You will now maintain a steady speed of 55mph for 5 minutes.
    This performs additional diagnostics as well as the catalyst monitor. However, if the battery has been disconnected or the catalyst is marginal, it might take you 5 entire driving cycles to complete.

Step 8: Decelerate

Once again, don't brake, shift gears, or press the clutch.
    This performs the same tests as step 5.

Last edited by Redflea; 09-28-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    E34 6 CD Changer for sale Cheep...just pay shipping!:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post15212510

My Cars
    '05 330ci Sport
    Victory is mine. Took a fifteen mile ride up the freeway at 55-60, hazards flashing, no joy.

Got back on the freeway going south at 55 and within a mile or two the cat line went green.

So exciting, now I can get a smog check.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Redflea; 09-29-2020 at 02:42 AM.
    E34 6 CD Changer for sale Cheep...just pay shipping!:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post15212510

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Good job.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I drove a customers e46 m3 for 45 mins like that and the cat finally set and they had been trying for 6 months, the cat I believe wants to see a certain flow rate and then it will set