Thread: Front suspension refresh/replacement. Help with sequence.

My Cars
    95 M3, 08 550i

Front suspension refresh/replacement. Help with sequence.

This week, I am going to be replacing just about everything on the front suspension: shocks, control arms, FCAB's, tie rods/boots, stabilizer links, stabilizer bushings, flux capacitor etc.

I am trying to plan my attack and I'm not sure what order to do things in. I am planning to do one side at a time, unless that is ill advised.

It probably doesn't make sense to take every thing off before replacing parts because then the hub will just be hanging.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. remove & replace strut & related parts (spring seats,bump stops etc.)
    2. remove & replace control arm & FCAB
    3. replace stabilizer links & bushings
    4. replace tie rods

Does this sequence work or should I do it differently?

Would any of these parts be easier to replace with a specific other part removed? For example, would the tie rods be easier to replace with the control arm off? That kind of thing.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I would disconnect the tie rod from the hub, then remove the sway bar links, then the control arm, and then the strut. Installation would be the reverse.

I did a complete front end refresh on my E39 and this was pretty much the process I used.

My Cars
    99 M3

I would do the strut replacement first so that the spindle/King Pin is stable during attachment of spindle-to-strut.
    Then your choice of tie rod or FLCA/FLCAB.
    New FLCABs need to be pressed into the ‘lollipop’, then ‘lollipop’ installed on FLCA, I have done it with a deep socket and dead blow hammer, but now use a tool to pull them into place.

Use new paper body gaskets p/n 31331094288 and Securing Plates for Tire Rods p/n 32111140464.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 09-28-2020 at 11:42 AM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Jack up the nose of your car and place jack stands under both corners - don't try to lift and work one corner at a time.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Jack up the nose of your car and place jack stands......don't try to lift and work one corner at a time.
    Ya, otherwise you fight the sway bar the whole time.

My Cars
    95 M3, 08 550i
    Thanks for all the replies. This is all very helpful.

I've been preparing for this for a long time, looking forward to getting it done.

The front shouldn't be too bad, not really looking forward to the rear! That'll happen later.

Thanks again!

My Cars
    99 M3
    For the rear shock installation use the rear shock mounts (RSM) from Lemforder for the E46M3 Convertible, p/n 33526779670 Guide support.
    Get the OE/OEM paper body gaskets, p/n 33526772864 Washer-gasket.
    Use any one of the aftermarket RSM Reinforcement Plates.
    Also OE Bump Stops and Dust shields.

My Cars
    95 M3, 08 550i
    I finally finished the job. I planned on 2 days, and it took 3.5. Can't say I'm really surprised. Here's the order I went in: Remove & replace strut, then control arm, then tie rods.

When I removed the struts, I made a shocking discovery (pun intended): the bump stops were completely GONE! I'm guessing they dried up and crumbled off. Has anyone heard of this before? I may start a thread about this. Also, the pistons in the old Sachs struts had almost no resistance at all. They were completely shot.

Also, I measured the old tie rods and set the new ones to the exact same lengths, but the alignment was WAAAAAY off. The steering wheel was off 30° driving in a straight line to the alignment shop. Fortunately, the alignment took care of that. The front end feels great, just like it did 25 years ago! I'll tackle the rear in a couple weeks.

Here is the carnage:
    OldParts2.jpgOldParts.jpg

Here are some shots of the new stuff:
    NewParts.jpgNewParts2.jpg

Thanks again for the input!
    Last edited by Green95M3; 10-03-2020 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3

Not uncommon for the bump stops to be failing (or non existent.)

I will buy your old control arms if they are straight?
    bluptgm32 -@- gmail.com

And your OE strut casings should be valuable to some one - Koni ‘Cut-n-Gut’.
    Drill a 1/8” diameter hole in the bottom of strut casing to release the remaining fluid and cut the tops off (just past the crimps) with a Leslie 31500 exhaust cutoff tool to remove the guts and reduce the bulk/weight for shipping.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 10-04-2020 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    99M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Green95M3 View Post
    I finally finished the job. I planned on 2 days, and it took 3.5. Can't say I'm really surprised. Here's the order I went in: Remove & replace strut, then control arm, then tie rods.

When I removed the struts, I made a shocking discovery (pun intended): the bump stops were completely GONE! I'm guessing they dried up and crumbled off. Has anyone heard of this before? I may start a thread about this. Also, the pistons in the old Sachs struts had almost no resistance at all. They were completely shot.

Also, I measured the old tie rods and set the new ones to the exact same lengths, but the alignment was WAAAAAY off. The steering wheel was off 30° driving in a straight line to the alignment shop. Fortunately, the alignment took care of that. The front end feels great, just like it did 25 years ago! I'll tackle the rear in a couple weeks.

Here is the carnage:
    OldParts2.jpgOldParts.jpg

Here are some shots of the new stuff:
    NewParts.jpgNewParts2.jpg

Thanks again for the input!
    I'm currently installing a koni and eibach setup. My bump stops are almost gone and my oem original struts are pretty shot with 68k miles. I also found no trace of that gasket that goes in between the strut tower and the reinforcement plate.

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by ax77 View Post
    I also found no trace of that gasket that goes in between the strut tower and the reinforcement plate.
    The original intended location of the paper body gasket (p/n 31331094288
    Washer-Gasket) was between the Guide Support/Strut Mount:
    1995M3 p/n 31332228345 L/R Guide support;
    1996+M3 p/n 31332227897/31332227898 L/R Guide Support)
    and the underside of the Strut Tower.

Looking at an early build 1995M3, the Reinforcement Plate (31312489795 Front Spring Strut Tower Reinforcement) was not included, even retrospectively.
    I would use them to preserve the strut towers, especially if stepping to stiffer springs.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 10-21-2020 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Just did the same job on my new-to-me car and my bumpstops were also gone. Car feels great now

My Cars
    95 M3, 08 550i
    Thanks for the post and congratulations.

I gave myself a week to enjoy the new front suspension, now I'm doing the rear. The front is a picnic in comparison.