Thread: '06 No start; cranks but wont start - EWS / DME Issue

My Cars
    89 535i/5 + lots mor

'06 No start; cranks but wont start - EWS / DME Issue

Hi All,
    I've had and repaired numerous BMWs but never a Z4. A friend asking me to help with his 2006 automatic, 150k miles. it sat for a while then he started having issues with the windows/soft top not working. He brought it to a indy, they repaired it and had him come pick it up. When he arrived the windows worked but the car wouldnt start (just cranked and cranked). The shop said they didnt do anything with the car aside from the window but would really explain what they did to get the windows to work (WTF? I wouldnt have accepted that but this was all prior to my involvment). He had the car towed home and a friend of his who repairs his work trucks came out and scanned the car, suggested doing the crank and cam shaft position sensors. My buddy bought them at the dealer and his mechanic installed them. No change. He also found a mouse nest in the glove box, they chewed up all the papers in the glove box but no other damage. All the wires and the fuses appear fine.

This is when he reached out to me. I connected BMW Scanner 1.4 and found 4 DME fault:
    GEARBOX CONTROL
    MESSAGE INSTRUMENT COMBI MISSING HKOMBI2
    MESSAGE INSTRUMENT COMBI MISSING HKOMBI3
    EWS MANIPULATION PROTECTION

More surprising was "Electronic Car Immobilization System" was 'NONE FOUND'. I checked fuses 10, 12 and 54, for the EWS and are all fine.

I tried doing the DME/ EWS adaptation and it couldnt connect to the EWS.

I have fuel at the fuel rail (i didnt use a gauge but it sprayed out of the shrader valve when i tried it), The battery is fully charged and the car cranks strong.

I dont have a lot of experience with this but I'm assuming since the car cranks, the key, EWS ring and fuses are all working fine. The problem is with the DME? Perhaps the DME lost connection with the EWS when the indy was trying to figure out the windows and just left the car on without starting it for a while?

Since the car cranks, is there a way to bypass the EWS/DME handshake and just run power to the ignition system?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

My Cars
    89 535i/5 + lots mor
    food for thought- could it be the car doesnt have an "immobilizer" and the issue is with a faulty ignition switch?

My Cars
    89 535i/5 + lots mor
    Bump for help...

My Cars
    2001 525it
    All bmws from 1995 on have ews system who knows maybe your scanner is not equipped to read the system I would take it to a good independent bmw shop