Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: S50B30US NA rebuild for track car

My Cars
    '93 e36 race car
    Quote Originally Posted by Talperian View Post
    The other is for my road race car "race engine", 89.6mm crank, 14:1 87mm bore (E85), CNC-ported head, 13.5mm lift cams, etc...
    This keeps getting better.... What cam are you using?

My Cars
    '97 M3, '95 M3, '93 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Allona View Post
    This keeps getting better.... What cam are you using?
    I'm starting with the 298/290 set, I have that on the shelf. I am working on a custom set from Cat, the intake cam is about 298 degrees in advertised duration, but 32 degrees from 0.1mm to 1mm of lift. 13.5mm peak.

Fyi, at 36mm base circle you cant get much more than 12.5mm lift without the lobe hitting the cam tray. So 30.5mm is your max overall cam radius before you have to start relieving the tray.

I am also not using the solid lifters with shim caps that go over the valves for my solid lifter conversion. I am using stock 35mm lifters that are converted to solid by using stackable machined shims that you install inside the lifter piston after you removed the spring/check valve guts of the factory lifter, made by my friend Perry.

No machining involved, the shims are made in varying thicknesses so you just stack the right combo to get your desired valve lash clearance.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Talperian; 12-11-2020 at 12:19 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I'm starting with the 298/290 set, I have that on the shelf. I am working on a custom set from Cat, the intake cam is about 298 degrees in advertised duration, but 32 degrees from 0.1mm to 1mm of lift. 13.5mm peak.

Fyi, at 36mm base circle you cant get much more than 12.5mm lift without the lobe hitting the cam tray. So 30.5mm is your max overall cam radius before you have to start relieving the tray.

I am also not using the solid lifters with shim caps that go over the valves for my solid lifter conversion. I am using stock 35mm lifters that are converted to solid by using stackable machined shims that you install inside the lifter piston after you removed the spring/check valve guts of the factory lifter, made by my friend Perry Hubbling.

No machining involved, the shims are made in varying thicknesses so you just stack the right combo to get your desired valve lash clearance.
    I’d be a little worried going with Car cams considering the recent issues with s54 cams grenading
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    99 M3

I am also not using the solid lifters with shim caps that go over the valves for my solid lifter conversion. I am using stock 35mm lifters that are converted to solid by using stackable machined shims that you install inside the lifter piston after you removed the spring/check valve guts of the factory lifter, made by my friend Perry Hubbling.

Solid Lifter Conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 M3, '95 M3, '93 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Solid Lifter Conversion

Correct.

My Cars
    '97 M3, '95 M3, '93 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    I’d be a little worried going with Car cams considering the recent issues with s54 cams grenading
    I haven't heard of the issues. Have a link? What was the cause of failure?

My Cars
    skateboard
    I haven't heard of the issues. Have a link? What was the cause of failure?

https://youtu.be/pqIquM5BDrE
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    This is the best NA thread I've seen in years! Wow!... the possibilities!

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Yeah, good stuff ... there is lots of good knowledge floating out there for sure!

Haven't heard of any issues with Cat cams ... but we do only have experiences with 2 sets so far!
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    A friend of mine helped me stop worrying. 11.5:1, .020 off the head & block, stock cams... what are you worrying about? You got a programmable ECU... the tuner will make sure it runs. So yeah, I'm good now.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
    A friend of mine helped me stop worrying. 11.5:1, .020 off the head & block, stock cams... what are you worrying about? You got a programmable ECU... the tuner will make sure it runs. So yeah, I'm good now.
    Which exhaust setup will you be running on this again ?
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Which exhaust setup will you be running on this again ?
    OBD2 exhaust manifold, OBD1 mid-pipe, UUC cat back. Not ideal. But long tubes and the custom fab work that goes with them are not in my budget this year. Is there a better bolt on solution?

My Cars
    '93 e36 race car

Reusing the hydro lifter and using stacable shims seems a lot easier method for adjusting valve lash, thanks for sharing.

Keep us posted on the custom cam you are working on. Seems you will reduce the overlap and increase lift, so you will increase dynamic compression?

My Cars
    '93 e36 race car
    OBD2 exhaust manifold, OBD1 mid-pipe, UUC cat back. Not ideal. But long tubes and the custom fab work that goes with them are not in my budget this year. Is there a better bolt on solution?
    I have been running ebay long tubes for years in my race car, happy with the performance on my 2.8L engine, 264hp on Mustang dyno (with 1.23 correction to mimic a Dynojet per the shop owner). That said, I plan to buy new headers for the new build....any budget consious suggestions from the group? I am on the loookout for used Kromerkrafts....
    Last edited by Allona; 12-10-2020 at 09:03 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard

S50B30US NA rebuild for track car

I’d suggest raceland euro m3 SS reps, and ecs has some crazy sales on euro m3 SS midpipes (25% off), and if you can swing it the race muffler . My last s50 made 245whp and 240wtq without cams.
    Last edited by GG///M3; 12-10-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I’d suggest raceland euro m3 SS reps, and ecs has some crazy sales on euro m3 SS midpipes (25% off), and if you can swing it the race muffler . My last s50 made 245whp and 240wtq without cams.
    What intake setup and injectors were you using?

My Cars
    skateboard
    What intake setup and injectors were you using?
    Afe intake euro maf, and 24lb injectors
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    "I’d suggest raceland euro m3 SS reps"

I get lost in the naming convention.

The raceland site has one set of E36 headers,
    https://raceland.com/product/bmw-e36...haust-headers/

So, are these considered "euro M3 SS reps"?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    "I’d suggest raceland euro m3 SS reps"

I get lost in the naming convention.

The raceland site has one set of E36 headers,
    https://raceland.com/product/bmw-e36...haust-headers/

So, are these considered "euro M3 SS reps"?
    Correct
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Correct
    Thanks, I might add this to my to-do list, that's now 3 months long. lol.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    By far the best bang for the buck on those headers ... we have the real SS ones as well as the Raceland, and other than some small "because china" issues, they are a perfect copy. They also make great power for a tack engine in higher RPMs.

Get a nice Y collector into a 3" pipe, add in a Magnaflow 4x10 muffler at the end, you're good to go. Do not put the muffler in the middle. It does fit, but it does not last ... too much pressure and heat, so it get blown out and becomes a metal rattling can, lol.

Another edit: The flanges on the headers suck. We cut them off, then use a slip joint on the Y collector, with some header springs from a motorcycle shop ... works perfectly, and takes 2 minutes to remove the exhaust.
    Last edited by ScotcH; 12-11-2020 at 10:56 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Awesome! Thanks.
    Currently running BW Y-pipe to 3" custom with resonator and some random magniflow muffler. So, yea, Y collector to a 3" is what I'd do.
    Love the idea of slip-joint with the old 2-stroke-collector springs idea!!!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Let's talk about gall plates... you know, the giant washer like disc for aluminum flywheels? Do I need on my ClutchMax lightweight steel flywheel? Or really just for the aluminum ones?

01AFF7C5-7FCA-4C16-8229-85B0C9FA698D by D S, on Flickr

My Cars
    99 M3

S50B30US NA rebuild for track car

Can’t hurt, however it is typically to prevent damage to the (softer) aluminum FW during installation/application of torque of the attach bolts to prevent galling of the aluminum surface.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-17-2020 at 12:24 AM.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    We don't use one on out tilton steel flywheels

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast