Thread: Soft Top replacement best source?

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3

Soft Top replacement best source?

Hi.

I purchased my Z3 with a vandalized roof (sliced up top). It's not a huge deal for me, because it'll be down most the time. But thinking about replacing it, any recommendations for a retailer?

This place looks pretty cool?
    https://www.convertibletopguys.com/category/view/223

Thanks!

z3 forum.jpg
    Last edited by shaggyswag; 09-27-2020 at 12:00 AM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would call a upholstery shop and see what brands they recommend

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post

Totally didn't think of that. Thanks!

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Save your sealing frame. They are currently unavailable. I bought a GAHH Sonnendeck top and was very satisfied.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Save your sealing frame. They are currently unavailable. I bought a GAHH Sonnendeck top and was very satisfied.
    I'm looking at the "GAHH" site now, price is reasonable. I suppose it's an art to properly install? Meaning, I shouldn't take on the task myself?

Thanks!

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    A forum member has posted a step by step guide. If you think this is beyond you, then find an auto upholstery shop to do the work.

https://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/str/str.html
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I would do that, because they may have a relationship and experience with one supplier, and also because they may not want to install or stand behind any top that an owner brings them.
    I had a local shop install my top, and they had a catalog and buying relationship with GAHH. So I chose a GAHH Twillfast top, they called me when it came, I dropped off the car and picked it up in 8 hours.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i, '01 X5 3.0i
    I got a Robbins top. I had to warranty it because the plastic tabs at the front cracked, so I got a free replacement with fabric tabs after sending them photos. Great quality, perfect fit, and it’s been great for over 2 years now. Only difference between it and the stocker is the stitched in window.

I self-installed partly because there are no reputable upholstery shops in my area.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by nahvkolaj View Post
    I got a Robbins top... I self-installed partly because there are no reputable upholstery shops in my area.
    Robbins, GAHH, German Auto Tops, Auto Tops Direct and Tops Online appear to be of equal good quality. After I viewed the classic DIY at https://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/str/str.html, I thought few owners would be able to do it themselves. Of particular concern would be the plastic sealing ring which apparently can break in removal, is not likely to seal if replaced in pieces, and a new sealing ring is very expensive with a long order time.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Yes the sealing frame is key....A lot of vendors have it on backorder.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    A forum member has posted a step by step guide. If you think this is beyond you, then find an auto upholstery shop to do the work.

https://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/str/str.html
    I'd rather do it myself (if possible), I'm not mechanically challenged. I'll take a look.

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nahvkolaj View Post
    I got a Robbins top. I had to warranty it because the plastic tabs at the front cracked, so I got a free replacement with fabric tabs after sending them photos. Great quality, perfect fit, and it’s been great for over 2 years now. Only difference between it and the stocker is the stitched in window.

I self-installed partly because there are no reputable upholstery shops in my area.
    Have a feeling, I'm going to try myself.

May I ask how long it took?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Robbins, GAHH, German Auto Tops, Auto Tops Direct and Tops Online appear to be of equal good quality. After I viewed the classic DIY at https://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/str/str.html, I thought few owners would be able to do it themselves. Of particular concern would be the plastic sealing ring which apparently can break in removal, is not likely to seal if replaced in pieces, and a new sealing ring is very expensive with a long order time.
    Sounds like "Robbins" is the way to go? I should stay away from the $300 ones on eBay or Amazon?
    Last edited by shaggyswag; 10-01-2020 at 06:21 PM.

My Cars
    98 Z3, 01 330i, 07 328iT
    There are basically three options for good quality, non-oem tops. Robbins, Gahh, and Sierra auto tops. Most of the unbranded ones on eBay are from Sierra. If you get the twillfast, you will get a good top. I installed a Sierra in mine last year and I’m pleased with it.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    Easier said than done, mine fell apart in my hands upon removal. I was lucky to find one on eBay from some Eastern European company.

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    I did the Sierra Tops with my son about a year ago and am very pleased with the quality.
    It took about 6 or 7 hours, only because we took our time and had several write ups including the instructions sent with the top and followed the steps closely. If we did it again we could probably do it in 3-4 hours
    You do not need to take the plastic sealing frame out of the car, there is a metal frame the top is stapled to that is what you need to remove. If you remove it carefully your plastic sealing frame will stay bolted and intact to the body of the car without damage. From the inside of the car you have the metal frame, the actual top, the plastic sealing frame and then the body of the car. Do not remove all of the bolts holding the top in, there are about 6 of the bolts that hold in the plastic sealing frame separately and if you leave them you will not damage it.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i, '01 X5 3.0i
    I did the top replacement in two days. One day to uninstall and clean up old butyl sealant, the next day to do the install.

I also did not remove the plastic sealing frame. Mine was cracked right in the middle. I repaired it with epoxy and used some extra butyl there. No leakage problems for two years now, verified when I had the rear cabin carpet out for shock mount replacement. My Z3 is my daily driver and I drive it in the rain.

I would recommend ordering from a reputable convertible top website. I ordered my Robbins through Topsonline. When The first top I ordered was faulty, I just sent some pics of the fault and I got a new top back at no extra cost to me.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    The install instructions are somewhat intimidating! I'm sure it's all about pacing yourself.
    Last edited by shaggyswag; 10-04-2020 at 09:21 PM.

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    If you PM me your email I can send you the instructions from Sierra Tops, it along with Vinci’s instructions is what I used.
    Last edited by Colorado Z3; 10-05-2020 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Can anybody find a new Sealing Frame out there? I can't find one anywhere.. I assume they are all the same but I have a 1998 Z3 M

Thanks

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    I have not seen it available in the last year or so...I hope they have not stopped production of them.

My Cars
    98 Z3, 01 330i, 07 328iT
    Someone should make a metal reproduction of the sealing frame. That OE plastic just gets too brittle over time.