Thread: Question about hood release lever

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M

Question about hood release lever

Something I have noticed...

When pulling the hood release lever, it feels really flimsy. Is this a problem area on these cars and do I need to be worried about breaking it off?
    Brian
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    I know what you mean, I think mine is going break every time I use it.

Someday I might pull the trigger on one of these
    https://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/p...-release-lever

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Your hood may have been replaced and not in quite correct alignment. I had to replace one and it took them several tries to get it to release without felling like you were going to break the lever. Have someone push down on the hood slightly then pull the lever and see how it feels.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nt-lid/C6f4CEQ
    follow this link and be patient and I bet that it will help. I think more people have had the cable assembly fail then we’re unable to open it. Iirc popping out a grill was the work around to release and repair.
    Last edited by z3forlife; 09-25-2020 at 10:00 PM.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Mine feels flimsy - it has a mushy feel. Now that I think about it, there is probably a tired old spring somewhere that pushes the hood up when it is released. Maybe that causes it to barely feel like it released. Otherwise, I dunno.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    99 M3
    Clean/grease the pins and catches, sounds like they are dirty/dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    Thanks all. That replacement lever looks like a winner. I will try to check the alignment in that link. I'm kind of doubting that's the problem though. I think that the hood is original and it appears to be straight.

My Cars
    BMW 2000 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by sydjai View Post

Thanks for the link! Always felt mine was flimsy plastic too, and just felt like mine would snap anytime.
    Just ordered one of these replacements in black anodized. Definitely seems like a fair price.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    What scares me is not the handle breaking, which you could easily replace, but the part the handle is attached to is plastic too. I wish they made a replacement in metal for that also.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by sydjai View Post
    I have not heard of the OE plastic lever breaking. I bought the Whalen metal lever years ago, but after removing and looking at the OE plastic lever, it is just as strong.
    If you are pulling so hard that you are concerned about the strength of the lever, you have a problem that could pull your cable loose, which is hard to repair.
    Your hood should open with gentle finger pressure on the lever. If not, the hood and release are resisting and need adjustment:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...9#post27687439
    Last edited by Vintage42; 09-26-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    Mine feels flimsy - it has a mushy feel. Now that I think about it, there is probably a tired old spring somewhere that pushes the hood up when it is released. Maybe that causes it to barely feel like it released. ....
    That is the way it is supposed to feel. Your hood is perfectly adjusted. You don't want to trade places with people who have to pull so hard they feel the need for a solid metal lever, so they can pull out the other end of their cable.
    With the hood open, the latch springs are at eye level.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 09-26-2020 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    I just installed the new lever. Feels lots better. Before the lever had a very weak feel to the lever itself, kind of flexed when I pulled on it (and no, I was not pulling that hard). Now I pull and it just works with no drama about is it going to just flex or is it going to break off?
    Brian
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    BMW 2000 Z3
    Just got mine and installed it as well yesterday. Definitely looks nice and feels so much sturdier than the original. Great product and highly recommend!

https://www.whalenshiftmachine...rod...-release-lever

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    I just installed the new lever. Feels lots better.
    Great product and highly recommend!
    Thanks for the follow-ups. Now I've got another thing to add to my wish list.
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranetb View Post
    Just got mine and installed it as well yesterday. Definitely looks nice and feels so much sturdier than the original. Great product and highly recommend!
    https://www.whalenshiftmachine...rod...-release-lever
    I installed mine in 2013 because it is always the thing to do. After looking at the OE lever, which I still have, it is just as sturdy. The OE lever is backed up by a wide flat web. The only possible point where the OE might be weaker is the teeth on the back. If you manage to strip the teeth, you have a real problem up front. But that has never happened; the OE lever is easily capable of pulling the cable out of the hood release first.

Z3 OE hood lever.jpg

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I installed mine in 2013 because it is always the thing to do. After looking at the OE lever, which I still have, it is just as sturdy. The OE lever is backed up by a wide flat web. The only possible point where the OE might be weaker is the teeth on the back. If you manage to strip the teeth, you have a real problem up front. But that has never happened; the OE lever is easily capable of pulling the cable out of the hood release first.

Z3 OE hood lever.jpg
    Okay, your post made me go take another look to see if my original looked the same as yours and it does. You are right it does look plenty strong for the job and I doubt it would break. The only thing I could think was that maybe it flexes where the screw goes. That part doesn't seem really strong. All I can say is that the metal one feels way more solid with no flex.
    Brian
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    The only thing I could think was that maybe it flexes where the screw goes. That part doesn't seem really strong.
    On mine, it feels like something is flexing and that makes it feel mushy. I initially thought there might be a loose bushing. But looking at the picture, I'd guess the thin bearing surface (inner hole) just flexes or rocks. It's plastic and every year plastic just gets more brittle. It may hold out a long time since it's not subject to engine heat or direct sunlight, but if there is a metal replacement I'll grab it as soon as I can.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... it feels like something is flexing and that makes it feel mushy. I initially thought there might be a loose bushing... bearing surface (inner hole) just flexes or rocks. It's plastic ... if there is a metal replacement I'll grab it as soon as I can.
    You could be talking about the clutch pedal ;-)
    I second this person who said the metal replacement is the biggest bang for the buck. No more wiggly squeaky plastic pedal.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...g-for-the-Buck

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    You could be talking about the clutch pedal ;-)
    Oh no, another not-cheap thing to do. I didn't notice a problem with mine, but now that you brought it up I'll notice it and it will drive me bat-shit crazy. Thanks.

My Cars
    z3
    Ive seen multiple stock hood latch handles break. No matter how many reinforcing ribs you add, plastic can only be so strong

Also not uncommon for them to feel "mushy" - the plastic gears strip and wear down and then the leveraging force to open it causes it to bend/flex around the gear teeth instead of actuating cable immediately

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Ive seen multiple stock hood latch handles break. No matter how many reinforcing ribs you add, plastic can only be so strong. Also not uncommon for them to feel "mushy" - the plastic gears strip and wear down and then the leveraging force to open it causes it to bend/flex around the gear teeth instead of actuating cable immediately
    Maybe the OE handle is a fail-safe feature that will fail before damaging what's under the hood.
    Because the hood release is supposed to open the hood with a gentle tug like mine. If not, adjust the hood bumper stops and latch pins, to reduce the resistance at the lever.

The rubber bumpers do not align the hood, but only serve as stops or rests. There are two by the radiator and two further back. Make a diagram. Note the marks on each bumper, turn them 1/4 at a time with a pliers so you can see how much you have turned, and note that for each bumper.
    If the hood is resting on bumpers that are too high, it pulls the latch pins away from the latches in the body, and they drag on the catch, making it harder to pull on the hood cable. If so, screw the latch pins downward so the hood will open with gentle finger pressure on the release. Keep track of the latch pin turns, too.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 10-04-2020 at 05:07 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Oh no, another not-cheap thing to do...
    You're safe. Mason only made two batches on order for forum "group buys" in 2010 and 2016.