Thread: Clunking from rear end- issue unknown

My Cars
    1987 325is

Clunking from rear end- issue unknown

BLUF: I have a clunk coming from the rear end as soon as I start moving or I am just about to stop. It goes away fairly quickly but I have no idea what the issue is.

Full story below:

I replaced all of my suspension components with a Spec e30 kit and garagistic poly bushings all the way around.

I dropped everything to do it (front subframe, rear subframe) You name it, it was removed, reinforced, and painted.

I put the entire thing back together (in correct spec). It rides fantastic but as I stated above I have this clunking from the rear end now that only happens when I start driving and when I am coming to a stop. It sounds almost rhythmic.

I did get the car up on jack stands and put the car in gear. The driveshaft does not move at all and the CSB is solid... BUT the wheels move from the diff (About 2-3 degrees of rotation in each direction). I have a feeling that my issue is in the diff but I didn’t have an issue prior to removing the rear suspension.

So if anyone can help me answer...
    1) possible issues?
    2) solutions?
    3) is this an issue because the car suspension geometry is different or am I looking at something more serious?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    I have the same issue.
    all is perfect. she's tight and in very good shape mechanically all around. every now and then when I play the brake carefully stopping and starting the issue goes seems to stop...
    I have an auto. 299.5k on the clock. 20 years daily. I can't find the issue at all. I do suspect it's the diff (4.10lsd) I work the gears hard a lot when in need of escaping, which is often...
    always on the search for a manual... in the meantime nothing is broken...

Sent from hell using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    A few thoughts, how is the flex disk? U-joints could be binding? With the car on jack stands the drive line geometry has changed. And finally, as you speculate, you may have a developing problem in the diff.

I have a rattle, which seems to be in the right rear, that I can't seem to isolate. But again, without the car on a lift that has the weight on all four tires diagnosing is difficult.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    1987 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstin View Post
    A few thoughts, how is the flex disk? U-joints could be binding? With the car on jack stands the drive line geometry has changed. And finally, as you speculate, you may have a developing problem in the diff.

I have a rattle, which seems to be in the right rear, that I can't seem to isolate. But again, without the car on a lift that has the weight on all four tires diagnosing is difficult.
    From what I saw when I was under the car the flex disc is fine. The CSB looks too new to be original with 214k on the car. Same with the flex disc.

My noise is also coming from the right rear. I thought it was the axel that was worn out. I replaced it and the sound is still there when I drive it.