Thread: Newbie needs help

My Cars
    e36 e46 e92 f30

Newbie needs help

Hey all, hope you all are doing well.

As the title says, I am a newbie here. Briefly, I will be building an e36 soon. Planing to build sth daily driver and a bit fun and have enough power to slide on corners.
    I need your suggestion about cheap suspension mods and cheap LSD( Not a fan of welding diffs). should I updgrade brakes or leave the stock ones. tell me your suggestions.

thanks in advance.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    This is one of those times when the right answer is, if you have to ask....

My Cars
    e36 e46 e92 f30
    Im so lost. Should I get an e36 with m50 or m52. or Should I get an e30 and do an m50 or m52 swap. its so confusing

My Cars
    yay
    Get an E21
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Find car with no rust or rot.
    Doesn't matter if obd1 or 2.
    Focus on fixing broken stuff first and the first fulls of cash you will throw at it just in reinforcments; bushings, and refreshing worn components. After you pass that test, worry about upgrading bolt on power and tunes to make use of it.

My Cars
    91 332is
    I agree with JDStrickland.

Sounds like you are way in over your head. Want to slide corners, but are confused about what chassis to go with, when there is almost an infinite amount of info on both the E30 and the E36 on the web.
    "1991 332is - 1998 Supercharged OBDI S52 - E36 5-Lug with E36 M3 Brakes - B&G Coilovers - 2.93 LSD - Style 5's"
    Gone but not forgotten

"1997 M3"
    Currently being restored past its former glory

My Cars
    e36 e46 e92 f30
    definitely the E36 is better. But I was confsed about what is perfect for budget project.

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    If you are new to working on cars and on a budget , get a Miata . They're easy and cheap to wrench on .

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Basharmh View Post
    definitely the E36 is better. But I was confsed about what is perfect for budget project.

You're not making it any better. You're asking, "what should I do?" when what you should do and what I should do have no bearing upon one another. What are your constraints? Do you have a significant bankroll? Do you have space? Do you have a lift? It's impossible to answer your question because YOU are a critical part of the analysis.

Budget and Project are two words that almost never go together. So, full circle back to, if you have to ask....

- - - Updated - - -

And, not to put too fine of a point on it, sliding cars is for children.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 323iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Basharmh View Post
    I just did an lsd swap on my e36 the beginning of the week it took me about 10 hours of me doing it by myself split between two days and I had help getting the lsd in that’s it. It cost me about 400$ with buying a used lsd. I have spent 5000$ including the coilovers i bought which are being built and should be done in a week. In total I’m gonna be spending about 5200$-6000$ on a 1800$ e36 manual. Half of that will be going to refresh of bushings, fluid swaps, clutch lines, brake lines, and maintence the other 3k is going into coilovers, power mods like m50 manifold and ecu tune. Also the lsd and racing seats and chasis stiffening like an x brace. So if your willing to spend close to 8k if you can find a decent manual e36 with no rust which mine is then expect at least that much. Also didn’t even mention my paint is falling apart so if I want to paint it’s another 600-800$ for a basic repaint.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 323iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieffy View Post
    I just did an lsd swap on my e36 the beginning of the week it took me about 10 hours of me doing it by myself split between two days and I had help getting the lsd in that’s it. It cost me about 400$ with buying a used lsd. I have spent 5000$ including the coilovers i bought which are being built and should be done in a week. In total I’m gonna be spending about 5200$-6000$ on a 1800$ e36 manual. Half of that will be going to refresh of bushings, fluid swaps, clutch lines, brake lines, and maintence the other 3k is going into coilovers, power mods like m50 manifold and ecu tune. Also the lsd and racing seats and chasis stiffening like an x brace. So if your willing to spend close to 8k if you can find a decent manual e36 with no rust which mine is then expect at least that much. Also didn’t even mention my paint is falling apart so if I want to paint it’s another 600-800$ for a basic repaint.
    Only reason I’m spending this much is because I’m a 20 year old kid working a part time to basically just pay to build this car. I’m probably keeping this car hopefully for a long time, and I also have a Honda Accord auto from 2007 I use as my daily driver because you can not expect a e36 to be as reliable when driving it a lot. Especially a cheap one. Just be wary mostly any old project car like this is the same even miatas can be SOB you just have to have time and drive to work on it yourself so you don’t end up spending thousands at a mechanic.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieffy View Post
    Only reason I’m spending this much is because I’m a 20 year old kid working a part time to basically just pay to build this car. I’m probably keeping this car hopefully for a long time, and I also have a Honda Accord auto from 2007 I use as my daily driver because you can not expect a e36 to be as reliable when driving it a lot. Especially a cheap one. Just be wary mostly any old project car like this is the same even miatas can be SOB you just have to have time and drive to work on it yourself so you don’t end up spending thousands at a mechanic.

Sorry, I have to call BS.

I would not hesitate to press my car into commuting 60+ miles per day each way. I would hesitate to press me into doing that, but my car isn't the reason.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 323iS
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Sorry, I have to call BS.

I would not hesitate to press my car into commuting 60+ miles per day each way. I would hesitate to press me into doing that, but my car isn't the reason.
    I don’t expect my 24 year old Bmw to be as reliable as my 2007 Honda Accord that’s a fact.

My Cars
    e36
    Depends on maintenance. If it's maintained adequately, the age doesn't matter.