RM European Auto Parts

Thread: <e36> assembling parking brake

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5

<e36> assembling parking brake

It's been quite a while... Family life with covid had been very busy trying to keep wife and kids from killing each other.

I'm trying to get a new set of parking brake shoes on my car. Is there a trick to getting the springs on the shoes? Sequence of assembly? Find a gorilla? I tried using a couple zipties to get leverage. Needle nose pliers? Right.

Thanks

Marc Plante
    1997 E36 m3/4/5, a 186k
    Vienna, VA

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Marc,

Well the best trick I have found that works for me:

1) Assemble the adjustment screw and the top spring before install
    2) With both shoes, work your way around the hub and get the shoes seated in the bottom adjuster.
    3) Install the 2 5mm spring clips thru the shows into the backing plate.
    4) Install one end of the lower spring, next you will need a long handle flat bladed screwdriver, BTW I like to use the side of the blade, not the flat.
    5) Using said screwdriver pry from the backside of the hub and lever the spring into place. Push the end of the spring into the hole and remove the screwdriver.

Sometimes it will take a try or two to get the end in properly, but with the way it is made, most of the time you just need to push it in the rest of the way.

Good luck!
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Marc,

Well the best trick I have found that works for me:

1) Assemble the adjustment screw and the top spring before install
    2) With both shoes, work your way around the hub and get the shoes seated in the bottom adjuster.
    3) Install the 2 5mm spring clips thru the shows into the backing plate.
    4) Install one end of the lower spring, next you will need a long handle flat bladed screwdriver, BTW I like to use the side of the blade, not the flat.
    5) Using said screwdriver pry from the backside of the hub and lever the spring into place. Push the end of the spring into the hole and remove the screwdriver.

Sometimes it will take a try or two to get the end in properly, but with the way it is made, most of the time you just need to push it in the rest of the way.

Good luck!
    Sorry, I replied, but it did not take. I ended up buying a set of drum brake spring pliers which made a world of difference. The pliers provided a lot of leverage to stretch the actuator side spring onto the parking shoe. I tried with several different types of screwdrivers, but the specialized shape of the brake spring tool made a world of difference. The tool cost $6.99 at the local car parts store.

The issue that drove the repair was a slight rub that I felt only above 80 mph. The return springs were very rusted and my shoes were hanging against the rotor FTTT. Every 23 years or so, it pays to do a little maintenance, I suppose.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i have long since reached a point where i'd rather spend to have the proper tool than try to do things without....maybe that's age or wisdom! haha....

glad you figured that out and got it fixed - that's one of those things that's really satisfying when you fix it.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    For me as a rule of thumb, I always replace the parking brake shoes when I replace the rear rotors. No if's and's or but's about it, otherwise the run the risk of the car coming back for the parking brake shoes having problems.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member