Thread: Dealer covered up codes. SAP question

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP Vert, 2x 98

Dealer covered up codes. SAP question

My girlfriend just bought an e46 (01 330ci) from a dealer which appeared very good, despite the high milage (201k). Cosmetically, it’s close to perfect and the engine sounds new, no weird noises. It seems however, that the dealer cleared SES lights before sale and they took a couple days to come back. They now have and I am working to fix them. The first two codes are for the exhaust cam position sensor, and the thermostat. I’m going to replace both. It also has two codes (P0491, P0492) for the secondary air pump. I understand this is just an emissions item but I’d like to get it sorted to turn the light off. On cold starts, it whines very loud so, because of the milage, I’m assuming the pump itself is the culprit. Should I just replace it? The vehicle also already passed smog so is there any logic to just deleting the whole system? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    The secondary air pump (SAP) only runs for like 30 seconds on a cold start. The pump is noisy. As long as its pumping air it not a problem. Remove the outlet hose and put your hand over it to test it operation.

Typical problems are:
    - Faulty air pump
    - hole in rubber hose from air pump to valve.
    - broken/ hole in 3.5mm rubber hoses that go from the valve, back round the back of the engine to the 1-way valve under the inlet manifold and then to the solenoid and finally for the port on the back of the inlet manifold next to the fire wall.

You can remove the SAP system and blank off the port into the engine. You will get a code and check engine light up. The fix is to flash the engine computer (DME) with the Euro 2 program. Doing this may impact on smog testing depending on the state and the rules being used.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnm View Post
    The first two codes are for the exhaust cam position sensor, and the thermostat. I’m going to replace both. It also has two codes (P0491, P0492) for the secondary air pump. I understand this is just an emissions item but I’d like to get it sorted to turn the light off. On cold starts, it whines very loud so, because of the milage, I’m assuming the pump itself is the culprit. Should I just replace it? The vehicle also already passed smog so is there any logic to just deleting the whole system? Thanks.
    First off, that is fraud. The ecu stores “shadow” codes so it should be easy to find out if the codes were cleared. I would go back and get them to fix it or give some money back.

The camshaft code may be the sensor, but it could also be the Vanos piston. Remove the exhaust solenoid and the piston, clean and reassemble.

As for the SAP, there are many videos and posts on how to test it.

My Cars
    E46 330 and m3
    If you hear the pump howling on start up, the pump is working and most likely the valve going to the engine is jammed. This does happen over time

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    OP is in the People’s Democratic Republic of California. You can bet the car gets smogged.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnm View Post
    ...whines very loud so, because of the milage, I’m assuming the pump itself is the culprit. Should I just replace it? The vehicle also already passed smog so is there any logic to just deleting the whole system?

You can replace the SAP with a good used one from EBay for under $50. It takes all of 15 minutes to install.
    Last edited by All2kool; 09-24-2020 at 03:55 PM.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    OP is in the People’s Democratic Republic of California. You can bet the car gets smogged.
    Every two (2) years!

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP Vert, 2x 98
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    I know a guy haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk