Thread: Using Backup Camera Parking Lines

My Cars
    '06 530i, '16 320i

Using Backup Camera Parking Lines

I've had my F30 for over a year and still haven't quite mastered using the backup camera parking guide lines.

I know to line up the red line inside of the parking space and then align the yellow ladder edge to the red line, but then backing into the space, I am still misaligned. I think I am mistakenly using the red line to aim. I have been following the owners manual in addition to online videos but to no avail.

So what's the trick?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Use your wing mirrors as well, like it says when you go into reverse: "Do not rely only on the backup camera."

I just use that thing to make sure I don't hit anything in the back.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Those lines only work for parking if your car is already lined up with the parking place, they don't really help with getting lined up. They are useful to see if you are about to back into something though.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    '06 530i, '16 320i
    Well good to know its not just me. On that BMW Genius video, they make it seem all magically easy. I would use my side mirrors if they auto tilted down like on my e60. I can rear park my e60 with stunning accuracy.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    The passenger mirror should tilt down if you have the mirror adjustment switch in the driver position.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    '06 530i, '16 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    The passenger mirror should tilt down if you have the mirror adjustment switch in the driver position.
    Yes I know to do that. I have the cheapest F30 available and so maybe that option was not installed.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    I use the rear cam ‘lines’ to both back into 90-degree straight-in spaces as well as when parallel parking.
    On my ‘16 435iX the red shows the max i can turn, and the green moves to show where I’m going with current steering wheel position. ( For parallel parking I can use the green to quickly switch from right to left at the right mid-point.

And on mine the mirror switch needs to be in the Pass position to tilt down when in R.

My Cars
    '06 530i, '16 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
    I use the rear cam ‘lines’ to both back into 90-degree straight-in spaces as well as when parallel parking.
    On my ‘16 435iX the red shows the max i can turn, and the green moves to show where I’m going with current steering wheel position. ( For parallel parking I can use the green to quickly switch from right to left at the right mid-point.

And on mine the mirror switch needs to be in the Pass position to tilt down when in R.
    Pass position? I thought there's only two switch positions, left and right (like on my e60).

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by donb318 View Post
    Pass position? I thought there's only two switch positions, left and right (like on my e60).
    He means to the Right. If you have it in the left position, it will not drop down.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '06 530i, '16 320i
    I And on mine the mirror switch needs to be in the Pass position to tilt down when in R.
    I just double checked and mine only has two positions.

For parallel parking I can use the green to quickly switch from right to left at the right mid-point.
    That's where I'm messing up. I can't seem to ascertain the right midpoint.

My Cars
    '06 530i, '16 320i
    I am getting better at backup parking using the camera. I noticed it so doesn't work like the BMW demo video shows. I mean it shows you magically popping into the parking space in a perfect arc. In reality, I have to keep making small adjustments all along the way. The red guidelines are distracting but I do worse with them off because it turns the yellow guidelines off too.