Thread: My new ride in Japan, a Macao Blue 1991 E34 M5

My Cars
    92 M5

My new ride in Japan, a Macao Blue 1991 E34 M5

Haven't posted in awhile, but recently got an M5 while living in Japan! Firstly, this is my M5 sitting under the cover stateside:

My M5 I got delivery a couple weeks back, with 78K km, or less than 50k. Rare Macao Blue with Silbergrau M leather inside, shadowline with rear shades, staggered wheels. Bone stock, aside from its SLS swapped recently (have old ones sitting in trunk). Grill probably wasn't shadowline from factory either? Really liking this color combo.

Only things wrong with it is that dastardly "PPPP" on the OBC, which the shop that fixed my car prior to getting approved for inspection (shaken is the equivalent of Germany's TUV) couldn't figure out how to reset, even buying another OBC with no luck. Also the powersteering fluid sprung a leak over the weekend, and I have no tools nor my own garage yet to fix. Not sure what rear springs they put on the car but that seems a bit too low.

I think I'll need to sell one M5 or the other eventually, but attached to both (one is high mileage with lots of rare bits added on, other is a low mileage garage queen)... meanwhile need to find a shop in Tokyo area that can fix my leak for a reasonable price.
    Last edited by sugaki; 09-23-2020 at 01:54 PM.

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Very cool, nice to see what my car should look like. Such a good color combo. Post more pictures, it makes me want to go work on mine.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Ha, I wondered if you had sold your other one! You sir, are now an international man of culture and esteem, with E34 Ms on different continents.

Absolutely gorgeous car - that would definitely be worth importing back here if you ever move back. I don't think black grilles were an option for the E34, and it looks like one TS cover is backwards. Hopefully one is backwards on the left side of the car too, and can be switched back.

Any plans with this car? It's really a collector-grade specimen!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    PPPP means there is no communication between cluster chip and the OBC. Check the wiring between cluster and OBC.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

Hi.
    I’m in Tokyo too. I’m also interested in your M5. I normally wrench on my cars so maybe I can help with your leak.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Quote Originally Posted by TGreene View Post
    Very cool, nice to see what my car should look like. Such a good color combo. Post more pictures, it makes me want to go work on mine.
    You jealous huh Trevor? You still in the area?

Hi.
    Nice ride. I’ve always like the E-34 M5.
    I’m in Tokyo too.
    I wrench on my cars so maybe I can help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I have a garage, a lift, 20 ton press and plenty of tools, location 60km north east of Tokyo near Tsukuba City. if you need a lift and the tools, contact me. From Tokyo >Joban Highway direction to Tsukuba. We also make valve body rebuilds, trans fluid changes.
    In Tokyo, Sumida-Ku is a small, good repair shop which has good knowledge abt the older BMW models, former BMW Meister, they are specialized on older BMW, 株式会社ジ株式会社ジール夢(ZEAL with Dream Co.,Ltd.) ,会社所在地 東京都墨田区東墨田2-22-1(〒131-0042), 連絡先
    They do not speak English, you have to contact them in Japanese language. Closest subway station is Keisei Hikifune near Arakawa river, very small shop, only 2 people work there, but they are well known among older BMW owners for good repairs.
    In case your power steering hose is not available, this shop repair hydraulic hose, they remove the old crimp sleeves, replace the old old with a new high pressure hydraulic hose and re-crimp it to the metal pipes http://www.sgt-r.jp/index.html
    SUGITA RADIATOR MANUFACTURING
    Last edited by shogun; 10-27-2020 at 03:02 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Beautiful car!

My Cars
    92 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by TGreene View Post
    Heya Trevor! You know, after seeing my car in various lighting conditions, I think your color is more rare/custom than Macaoblau. Yours looks more bluish and slightly lighter, and Macao Blue was one of the optional colors so it says "Macaublau" instead of "Sonderlach" in the build sheet. Mine turns into almost Diamond Black in overcast conditions... was thinking yours could be Orient Blue or Laserblau metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Ha, I wondered if you had sold your other one! You sir, are now an international man of culture and esteem, with E34 Ms on different continents.

Absolutely gorgeous car - that would definitely be worth importing back here if you ever move back. I don't think black grilles were an option for the E34, and it looks like one TS cover is backwards. Hopefully one is backwards on the left side of the car too, and can be switched back.

Any plans with this car? It's really a collector-grade specimen!
    Yeah I noticed the backwards cover too after looking over my pics! I'm wondering if I should sell one, and which one... I like swapping out parts and not keeping cars stock but this one seems too valuable to move away from stock... my 92 M5 has lots of rare bits (6-spd, extended leather, chrome individual door handles, pfeba spoiler, M mirrors) and 200K+ miles so there's no remorse in modding away. With this car I want to replace the door handle gaskets as a minor fix, change the ugly Carrozzeria stereo to something that matches the OEM interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufrob View Post
    Hi.
    I’m in Tokyo too. I’m also interested in your M5. I normally wrench on my cars so maybe I can help with your leak.
    Much appreciated! Tachikawa isn't that too far from me (I live in Setagaya) so definitely interested in meeting up.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    I have a garage, a lift, 20 ton press and plenty of tools, location 60km north east of Tokyo near Tsukuba City. if you need a lift and the tools, contact me. From Tokyo >Joban Highway direction to Tsukuba. We also make valve body rebuilds, trans fluid changes.
    In Tokyo, Sumida-Ku is a small, good repair shop which has good knowledge abt the older BMW models, former BMW Meister, they are specialized on older BMW, 株式会社ジ株式会社ジール夢(ZEAL with Dream Co.,Ltd.) ,会社所在地 東京都墨田区東墨田2-22-1(〒131-0042), 連絡先 TEL03-6426-0750
    They do not speak English, you have to contact them in Japanese language. Closest subway station is Keisei Hikifune near Arakawa river, very small shop, only 2 people work there, but they are well known among older BMW owners for good repairs.
    In case your power steering hose is not available, this shop repair hydraulic hose, they remove the old crimp sleeves, replace the old old with a new high pressure hydraulic hose and re-crimp it to the metal pipes http://www.sgt-r.jp/index.html
    SUGITA RADIATOR MANUFACTURING
    Really appreciate the tips and the offer, regardless would definitely love to meet up. I do speak Japanese so that shouldn't be an issue. I see brown fluid all over so not sure where the leak is.

Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Beautiful car!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by sugaki; 09-25-2020 at 01:49 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    That is one spectacular car Sugaki.

Get to work TGreene! .... Or sell it to me, I could use a restoration project
    Last edited by E34nication; 09-26-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    991 | 964 | G55 | D90 | LX570 |

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    Heya Trevor! You know, after seeing my car in various lighting conditions, I think your color is more rare/custom than Macaoblau. Yours looks more bluish and slightly lighter, and Macao Blue was one of the optional colors so it says "Macaublau" instead of "Sonderlach" in the build sheet. Mine turns into almost Diamond Black in overcast conditions... was thinking yours could be Orient Blue or Laserblau metallic.
    I wish that were the case but I think it has just had a bad repaint. Clear coat is fading and being an early '91 I think it should have been single stage paint. I don't know about the sonderlack versus macaublau tag. Stephen, the super nerd, said it was Macau from the factory. Maybe I should get i touch with him and follow-up. Either way, it is nice to see yours and day dream about how mine might be one day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by E34nication View Post
    That is one spectacular car Sugaki.

Get to work TGreene! .... Or sell it to me, I could use a restoration project
    Give me some time, yeesh. It has only been ten years. These things are a process.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    @Tgreene I hear ya man! One of my best friends has been working on his 74 911 for 15 years in another 2-3 years it’ll hopefully be done for his sake. Take your time and enjoy ����

Hope all is well.
    991 | 964 | G55 | D90 | LX570 |

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    94 M5T
    wow that is nice, good find.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Wonderful find, an exquisite example.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    I love it.
    The same spec as my e31

Hey. How’s it going? Did you call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    92 M5
    Heya Rob, I haven't yet, was down with food poisoning and busy with work, I'll give you a call maybe today or over the weekend. Thx

Just got a hydraulic hose that I think's the culprit, also filling in some rock chips. Here's a pic from a month back.
    Attached Images Attached Images