Thread: Looking for someone to properly set up my Siemens MS 41.1 in order to run S52 engine

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i

Looking for someone to properly set up my Siemens MS 41.1 in order to run S52 engine

I've recently completed my unicorn and it runs great:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...swap-on-my-528

But, since it's running on donor ECU, it displays donor car VIN when hoooked up to my PA Soft scan tool. That doesn't bother me but my emissions are due in few months and their machine displays the VIN from ECU and they also visually check the VIN on door jamb. I'm not 100% sure but I believe they would not let me pass if VIN dosen't match.

So, I still have my original ECU on the shelf and I need someone to set it up to run the S52 engine while leaving EWS alone since it's original to the car.

I've contacted Kassel Performance in the past and they said they would gladly do it but recently sent them few emails and they never responded.

Can you guys tell me of few other reputable places?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by BMW540san; 09-23-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    hmmm, weird that an emmissions place wouldn't be tolerant of an ECU from a donor car as part of their know-how.

You wanna try calling them first and explaining to them your situation before going in?
    -Rich-

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I can do it if you mail it to me. The eeprom chip has to be desoldered and bench flashed in order to change the VIN. I can do the cluster VIN with mileage correction too.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    hmmm, weird that an emmissions place wouldn't be tolerant of an ECU from a donor car as part of their know-how.

You wanna try calling them first and explaining to them your situation before going in?
    You might be right. I'm assuming something that I don't know for sure.
    But, I'd like to have my original ECU back in the car for additional reason of right now having persistent evap code that I didn't have before.
    The donor ECU is from 01/97 528 while mine is 04/97.
    According to realoem the 01/97 has slightly different evap system and I'm thinking that is the reason for my code.
    Anyway, I probably need to check with emissions place first like you suggested.
    Thanks.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    I can do it if you mail it to me. The eeprom chip has to be desoldered and bench flashed in order to change the VIN. I can do the cluster VIN with mileage correction too.
    Forgive me for asking this as I'm very mechanicly inclined but not so much with electronics, but here is my understanding:
    My instrument cluster mileage stayed the same and there is no tampered dot either because LCM stayed the same. So my understanding is that I only need someone to open my ECU and set it up for S52 fuel maps, timing etc...
    Also, since ECU is original to the car, no need to delete EWS either?
    Please feel free to educate me and you can PM me with more details and pricing / your shipping address etc...

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    Forgive me for asking this as I'm very mechanicly inclined but not so much with electronics, but here is my understanding:
    My instrument cluster mileage stayed the same and there is no tampered dot either because LCM stayed the same. So my understanding is that I only need someone to open my ECU and set it up for S52 fuel maps, timing etc...
    Also, since ECU is original to the car, no need to delete EWS either?
    Please feel free to educate me and you can PM me with more details and pricing / your shipping address etc...
    Mileage is only stored in the cluster, no where else. If it’s what you want, then no need to modify it to reflect anything different.

DME is easy for all that, and yes EWS will remain on however it is probable you will need to sync it. There is a free software tool here for syncing, you just need an inpa cable and a Windows PC.

BAR approval process requires the original bit for bit code from the swapped car to match. Leaving EWS on is a good idea for that part. Synching won’t cause any issues. As far as standard SMOG, the VIN is great to have but EWS on or off, tuned maps, etc, won’t make a difference.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 09-23-2020 at 11:04 PM.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Mileage is only stored in the cluster, no where else. If it’s what you want, then no need to modify it to reflect anything different.

DME is easy for all that, and yes EWS will remain on however it is probable you will need to sync it. There is a free software tool here for syncing, you just need an inpa cable and a Windows PC.

BAR approval process requires the original bit for bit code from the swapped car to match. Leaving EWS on is a good idea for that part. Synching won’t cause any issues. As far as standard SMOG, the VIN is great to have but EWS on or off, tuned maps, etc, won’t make a difference.
    Yes, mileage is not concerned as I have 160k on the chasis and 130k on engine. If I ever sell the car, I have documentation proving the mileage of the engine. Before I bought it, I've ran the carfax on VIN that is in the back of the engine and it confirmend the mileage seller was claiming. I've printed the Carfax as proof and if I sell the car, let's say with 170k miles, then I can honestly claim engine has 140k miles.

Anyway, back to the subject: I think my Autoenginuity scan tool can sync the EWS. Also, the EWS module has been replaced relatively recently (about 6-7 years) and it was coded by a shop with DIS equivalent scan tool. So I'd like to keep it active if possible since it's relatively new.

To sum it up: My main goal is to have you open my MS 41.1 and set it up for S52 engine for reason of being original to the car but also for this:
    I mentioned in other post that while car is running great on other ECU (Fuel trims at closed loop and idle are within 2-3%) I suspect that borrowed ECU is causing CEL that I clear but it comes back. It's basicaly evap code stating there is a leak in vapor return system back to manifold.
    I've doubled checked everything and I think the true reason is that borrowed ECU is from 01/97 528 and mine is 04/97 and the evap system is slighlty different.
    Please PM me with your price and shipping adress.
    Thanks.

So if you would, PM me with your price and shipping address.
    Thank you in advance.