Thread: Basket Case or not?

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is

Basket Case or not?

Hello , I'm new to this section of the form. I'm usually involved with E36 and E46 track modified cars.
    I recently picked up a 2002 745 l i.
    A friend of mine was looking at the car about a year ago, ask me to check it over after work one day before he bought it. He didn't want to wait 2 hours and bought the car anyway.
    I stopped over to check it out, interior and exterior we're in pretty good condition. He started the engine, it sounded good, but the entire instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree. And the iDrive was scrambled. He drove the car about a week like that, until it finally started dumping coolant. He said it ran and drove good. Even though all of the warning lights being on. I checked the coolant leak and it is leaking out of the weep hole just to the side and under the water pump. Coolant bypass tube under the intake is leaking. He knew he would never be able to sell the car the way it was, and was going to call the scrap yard to come get it. I think they offered him $300, I said I would give him five I believe. I was mostly interested in the engine.
    I remove the intake and Valley Pan replace the coolant tube with one of those collapsible ones. Of course replace the short one going to the water pump and some hoses while I was there.
    I replace the iDrive screen with a used one, so now that worked. But no sound from anything including the chirp from locking and Unlocking The Doors. I bought some Optical lollipop jumpers, and I believe I have to replace the ask unit first. There's probably other problems as well, but since that's the first unit in the system, I'll have to replace that to check the rest.
    I drove the car for about a week back and forth to work. I never thought I would ever like a big car like this. But I do. Almost immediately something didn't feel right with the way it shifted. It seemed to be a little lazy between first and second gear. Then one day on my way to work, it didn't want to shift past 2nd gear. I would pull over, turn it off and back on again, then it would shift but very erratically. Until finally it wouldn't shift out of first gear. A couple times when I came to a stop, it would jump into park while I was still rolling forward a little. Had to turn it off and back on again, to get it back into drive. I did manage to get it home, and has been sitting for months. I let it run once in awhile to keep the battery charged. It is a brand new battery, and the alternator is charging.
    Transmission fluid is full and clean. I don't think it's a mechanical issue in the transmission. It seems to be electrical. I was going to replace the shift solenoids, but they are selling the woods and either they are burn out or not. And sometimes it does shift pretty good. I only drove it once since I parked it. It was okay for about the first 5 minutes. Then it didn't want to shift, and once it jumped into park at about 20 miles per hour. had to turn the engine off and start it back up again in order to get it out of park. I would appreciate any suggestions on where to look for this problems? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    ivm

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You can’t run it once in awhile to keep the battery charged, charge the battery, load test it, these battery’s have to be in tip top shape for the car to work correctly