Thread: 2011 Z4 convertible top sensor wire broken in a spot I can not access.

My Cars
    2006 BMW

Exclamation 2011 Z4 convertible top sensor wire broken in a spot I can not access.

My top quit working. The windows and trunk also do not function. I figured out the brown sensor wire on the RH side is broken. I thought figuring out what was wrong would be the difficult part. However, I can not get to the harness where the wire is broken. The first picture is taken from the back. The second picture is from the front. Where the red arrow is, there is a band clamp holding the harness. I believe the break is in that location of the band clamp. There is a single fastener holding the clamp on the top of the band. My question is, how much do I have to take apart to access the fastener? I see the one large bolt with green and blue paint on it. Can I just remove that bolt or that bolt on both sides and that will allow me to pivot the top up enough to access the band clamp fastener? I am scared to take the top apart because I have heard they are alignment nightmares.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 09-21-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: image code in text window

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    To display images you need to load the image to a photo hosting site, Consider using DropBox.Com, Google Photos, Free Image Hosting(.net), etc. Avoid using Photo Bucket or ImgUr as both make it difficult to link to forums.

After your photo is uploaded to a hosting site, Post(or Edit) a thread in the forum and either use the INSERT IMAGE icon, or copy the link of the photo into message. The link would be something like; http://hosting_site.com/your_pic.jpg

I hope that helps.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2001 525it
    See if the wire can be access further down but it’s repairable

My Cars
    BMW 2009 Z4
    Hi, I see this thread is from last September. Have you resolved this issue yet? You seem quite sure the "brown wire" in the left loom is at fault. Have you run a replacement/temporary from the origin of the wire to the final connection of the wire? If not, give it a try to prove your thoughts. Wire is cheap, and easy to jumper suspected broken wires inside a tight wire loom. Where did you find a wiring diagram for the E89. I've looked everywhere and found little or no documentation at all.

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit
    Have you repaired the wire? Nice to hear how things went with the repair.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 convertible

Interior trim parts needed and door mechanism repairs

I just purchased a 2005 z4 convertible and need drivers side vent with cupholder and push paddle for storage area. also plug natural color for side panel (1in). also, door handle on passenger door doesn't work. only works from inside. any help in finding parts and door repair recommendations?