Thread: Good Break pads for Street / light track

My Cars
    07' x3, 89' 325is

Good Break pads for Street / light track

Hey! Ive got a 89' 325is and are wanting todo a break upgrade starting with pads. What are some good pads around or less $100 (front) that won't fade at hard spirited driving, I don't care if they dump break dust just don't want them to be crazy squeaky around town ( not my daily ). Was looking into hawk HP Plus but I've heard they're really squeaky anyone have any experience on them or other performance pads you could recommend. Thanks yall

My Cars
    99 M3

Good Break pads for Street / light track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 09-20-2020 at 11:51 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Ebc yellows
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    Akebono.
    You should replace rotors when you replace pads... just saying my 2c

Sent from hell using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Any type of 'performance' pad is probably going to squeal to some extent, some are worse than others. I had HP+ and they definitely squeal. Akebonos are good for low dust but I wouldn't call them a performance pad, I put them on my E36 M3 during track off-season and they perform fine and don't turn my wheels black like non-ceramic pads, but since clean rims isn't a priority for you I would stay away from ceramics if you want higher performance. Ceramics in general just don't have that hard initial bite that you get and want for performance driving. Honestly for the use case you're describing OE or equivalent should work just fine.

You mentioned brake fade, have you actually experienced that with your current pads? What are you running now?

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    [QUOTE=chefpeterlevine;30553726]Akebono.
    You should replace rotors when you replace pads... just saying my 2c

Don't think they make pads for a 325i or is.

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    I have these on my car.Screenshot_20200921-120145_Chrome.jpg

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Thanks for the correction.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    They don't make shoes for the 6 cylinder cars. Pads are all the way around

- - - Updated - - -

Well, and that is wrong too. The shoes are for the ebrakes
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    07' x3, 89' 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Any type of 'performance' pad is probably going to squeal to some extent, some are worse than others. I had HP+ and they definitely squeal. Akebonos are good for low dust but I wouldn't call them a performance pad, I put them on my E36 M3 during track off-season and they perform fine and don't turn my wheels black like non-ceramic pads, but since clean rims isn't a priority for you I would stay away from ceramics if you want higher performance. Ceramics in general just don't have that hard initial bite that you get and want for performance driving. Honestly for the use case you're describing OE or equivalent should work just fine.

You mentioned brake fade, have you actually experienced that with your current pads? What are you running now?
    I'm running some cheap'o autozone duralast pads that I put on when I first got the car running and while I was out driving friends around after about 45 mins of hard street driving I had little no initial bite and really had to stand on them to stop at a normal pace.

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    did you bed them in correctly before your road rage ride?

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by james sand View Post
    I'm running some cheap'o autozone duralast pads that I put on when I first got the car running and while I was out driving friends around after about 45 mins of hard street driving I had little no initial bite and really had to stand on them to stop at a normal pace.
    Ok then I do think OE BMW or equivalent (Pagid, Jurid, ATE, Textar, etc.) will probably work fine compared to the Autozone pads. Even if you decide to go to track events, and you're a beginner, any experienced track driver/instructor worth his salt will tell you it's better to start off on standard equipment: tires, suspension, and brakes, and then begin to upgrade your equipment as you progress and begin to drive at the limits of the equipment you have. Starting off with high-performance equipment can actually stunt your growth as it can hide and compensate for bad driving habits, especially when it comes to tires. Driving high-performance on standard equipment helps you learn car control and learn how to find the limit. And unless you're really crimped for cash, I would recommend upgrading front and rear pads at the same time.

This is worth a look:
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-b...ide-brake-pads

You could also try calling Turner or Bimmerworld and chatting with someone about your use case and intentions, bimmerworld especially are very helpful and will not just steer you towards whatever makes them the most money.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    something was wrong with those pads if you ahd trouble just from driving around on the street for a while. I used autoparts store pads for autocross in d street prepared (back when e30s were d class) and I never had issues like yours. I had trouble cracking rear rotors though
    No e30s again.