Thread: Is my S50 seized? Where do I begin to figure this out?

My Cars
    1995 M3

Is my S50 seized? Where do I begin to figure this out?

On track today with student riding along. All was well for first 15min, then no power coming out of corner. Realized maybe a cylinder was missing, maybe a bad coil pack. Limped back to pit lane under power. When I slowed down for the turn into the paddock. Engine stalled during the downshift to 1st. Tried to restart but got nothing, was towed back to pit.

Turning the key it tries to cranks and then stops, dash lights go dim/dead. Battery checked at 11V. Maybe alternator died and I didn’t notice the dummy light?

Got it home, charged with ctek charger. Same deal, will crank but never actually turns over. Did I seize it? Oil level is just a bit full. Oil is clean. Although my last blackstone report had me 6 times more aluminum and iron then normal. A bit of glitter in the drain pan as well.

Where do I start the diagnostics? Remove spark plugs and see if it spins? Drop the underpan and try to turn crank with 22mm wrench?

But if it seized, wouldn’t it have done so while on track at high rpm and not at idle?

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    Did you happen to notice if the oil light came on? I was thinking maybe the oil pump nut came off?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
    will crank but never actually turns over.
    what do you mean by that? I think you just have a bad battery, and something else coincidental.

My Cars
    99 M3
    At higher rpm there may have been enough oil volume to keep things separated, once at idle, rods or mains may have smeared and seized.

So it cranks and does not fire or it does not crank but starter engages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Starter tries but the crank never rolls over. I can’t see the alternator or oil light because the I lowered the steering wheel. Guess I’m saying the starter seems fine.

Also, oil pump nut was red loctited and safety wired this winter.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    battery

My Cars
    99 M3

Is my S50 seized? Where do I begin to figure this out?

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    battery
    +1. Battery, due to bad alternator. Voltage on track dropped too low for E36 electronics.

Check electrolyte level, add distilled water, and charge at low amperage for a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 09-21-2020 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If it rotates it is not seized. Could be as simple as bad battery or alternator. If still an issue after that maybe bad cam or crank sensors or bad engine ground.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Do you know how to push start a car off the clutch? Or do you have one of those jump packs that can act as a battery for a little bit? kinda like this

My guess is bad battery. Take it out, take it to Autozone (or Advance Auto or O Reilly or whatnot) and ask them to test it. It's free. As bluptgm3 said, your alternator dying is probably the reason your battery is now completely FUBAR
    -Rich-

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Well, I don’t think it’s the battery. Charged battery with Ctek and nothing. Then tried a jump pack directly to the jump terminal under the hood, nothing. And by nothing I mean the starter gets juice and I hear it try to move but the crank doesn’t turn.

Next step is remove the accessory belt (in case something there is seized, alternator, idler, or something) and also remove the spark plugs, Then, try to turn it with a wrench on the crank bolt. I did the head gasket before and turned it by hand in this configuration with a ratchet. Wasn’t that hard. Turning by hand also eliminates the starter itself. Hoping it spins and then I’ll have to figure out which accessory is seized up.

If it spins, I’ll put back together and push start to narrow it down to starter. I’m really hoping the alternator bearing seized. Power steering pump I rebuilt over the winter. Idler bearing and tensioner are new over winter. AC deleted.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    if the battery has a bad cell, then charging and jumping may not be enough. my second guess is your starter. Still banking on the battery being bad though.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    did you fully charge the battery? What reading does the charger give? I think bad battery, bad voltage regulator/alternator.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    So I got good news and bad news...

Good news is the battery and alternator are fine!

Bad news is, #1 cylinder spark plug was stuck and when I forced it out, the tip was missing! Motor turns freely one way then stops, then turn the other way and stops.

Question is, why did this happen? I had the keepers and retainers replaced to the newer ones when I had the head refreshed this past winter. won't know if valve dropped until I pull the head. Stock motor, stock tune, dedicated track car. I did have an ugly blackstone report last oil change that prompted me to get a spare motor to freshen up. But I wasn't expecting catastrophic failure like this.

357D64D0-8B18-4D62-8AFB-CDEDC915AA10 by D S, on Flickr

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Could a retainer have failed, causing a valve to drop, get hit and bend? 95 were known to have retainer issues. You would see evidence of this if you pulled the cams and lifters. Do you have a scope to inspect the chamber?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Could a retainer have failed, causing a valve to drop, get hit and bend? 95 were known to have retainer issues. You would see evidence of this if you pulled the cams and lifters. Do you have a scope to inspect the chamber?
    I plan to finish the HPDE season and just share my wife's track car. We both instruct and have registered for 2 more events. Once that's done, I'll be pulling the motor and further dissect it.

I already had the retainers and keepers replaced with "updated" ones just this past winter when the head was refreshed as the gasket rotted way at cylinder 6. I have read a post where someone cracked their retainer in half and did the same thing. The 95 early retainers were "soft" and the keepers/valve would pull through. Either way, I am curious to see how it failed. Hopefully Supertech will solve my problem going forward.

I also read that the rod bearings could have gotten so loose that the piston made contact with the valve. After time, the valve head fatigues and just snaps off.

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
    I plan to finish the HPDE season and just share my wife's track car. We both instruct and have registered for 2 more events. Once that's done, I'll be pulling the motor and further dissect it.
    I'd go ahead and pull the valve cover. It's quick and easy.

I already had the retainers and keepers replaced with "updated" ones just this past winter when the head was refreshed as the gasket rotted way at cylinder 6. I have read a post where someone cracked their retainer in half and did the same thing. The 95 early retainers were "soft" and the keepers/valve would pull through. Either way, I am curious to see how it failed. Hopefully Supertech will solve my problem going forward.
    See above. You're at the point where pulling the valve cover off is like 5 minutes of work.

I also read that the rod bearings could have gotten so loose that the piston made contact with the valve. After time, the valve head fatigues and just snaps off.
    If the rod bearings are that loose, you'll hang a rod out the side of the block.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX