Thread: Not a Happy Camper - Manual Transmission Removal Advice requested

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85

Not a Happy Camper - Manual Transmission Removal Advice requested

I have gotten back to working on restoring the CSi, and had noticed that the clutch slave cylinder needed replacement. I ordered a new one, put it on and bled the system as per manufacturer's directions. My friend was helping me, and I went to push the clutch in the first time with the new FTE slave cylinder, and a loud PSSHHT sound happened. My friend looked at me and said "that did not sound good", to which I replied no it did not! I ordered a replacement slave, went to take the bad "new" slave cylinder out, and before I had it all the way out I heard this "klunk" noise. I said I wondered what that was, and to my dismay, when I removed the slave, there was no rod, no bushing, no seal, or anything. It was just the empty slave cylinder housing. I instantly knew what happened - the seal blew out in the new unit, completely dislodging the large seal. When I was removing the slave, the rod and seal fell down into the transmission. One of those Oh Shit moments! I tried looking down the opening with a mirror, and could not see anything. I went "fishing" with a magnet, and did not catch anything. So now the BP is way up. Damn... the brand new FTE clutch slave blew apart the first time the clutch was depressed, and the insides are now down inside my transmission.

Nothing else to do, but pull the transmission. So, now the exhaust, drive shaft, and heat shields are all removed, with my next move to detach the transmission. I have never done an E31, but have done an E31. Are there any hidden bolts up at the top to find?

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Signed,
    Steaming in Florida, but not from the humidity!
    Roger
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    There are two torx at the very top of the bell housing.

This picture may help:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    91 850
    And while you are at it, maybe replace the rear main seal if it hasn't been replaced. Sorry to hear about the bad news...those unexpected side failures are always a headache and heart burn to have to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by petejk View Post
    There are two torx at the very top of the bell housing.

This picture may help:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Petejk, What is that new air injection technique you have? Does that increase the mpg? I like how the air compressor feeds air into the rear water pipe.

Thanks for the picture. That is what I needed!

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    VERY long extensions on ratchet for bell housing bolts. Approach from tail of transmission. No fun!

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    We just replaced the automatic trans in my '91 recently. If you can disconnect the transmission bracket and let the engine tilt back some it makes it easier accessing up top bolts.

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp530 View Post
    we just replaced the automatic trans in my '91 recently. If you can disconnect the transmission bracket and let the engine tilt back some it makes it easier accessing up top bolts.
    ditto

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Finally an update. As stated above, a new clutch slave cylinder came apart inside the transmission bell housing resulting in me having to pull the transmission. While out, I checked the specifications on the clutch disc and it was close to the minimum, so I ended up having the flywheel resurfaced, and placed a new Spec 1 CSi Clutch and pressure plate. After new seals, the transmission went back in along with new motor mounts, exhaust brackets and hangers, and another new clutch slave cylinder. I also replaced all the bushings and clips on the shift rods. Also, all new fluids in the Motor, Tranny and rear end. Will replace the fuel filters before dropping the car back to the floor. This has been ALOT of work all due to a defective clutch slave cylinder. This is the view Marcia has seen frequently over the past few months in the garage.
    20210117_101836.jpg
    Last edited by rogbmw; 03-21-2021 at 11:42 AM.