Thread: NJ DMV Question re Long Lines - Help Needed

My Cars
    none

NJ DMV Question re Long Lines - Help Needed

I recently purchased a car from a private seller out of state. I am now in possession of the vehicle and the title (the car is now insured) but am doing everything in my power to avoid the bureaucratic mess that is the DMV (MVC) in here in NJ.

In this internet age, where many of the functions the DMV provides can technically be handled online, we continue to have to wait in line-after-line at crowded DMV offices across this state as though we live in the Soviet Union in the 1970s. In normal times, this process is somewhat annoying, but with the back-ups due to COVID, its almost ridiculous. I have friends who are taking days off work, arriving at 4AM, and waiting 7 hours or more to get a license or related documents. The inspection line is similarly long.

I certainly understand the issues due to COVID, but given the dangers of crowds and the new challenges of the disease, you would think more hygienic, time-efficient, online options would be available.

I would like to get my new (used) car registered and transfer the title, but would like to avoid taking off-work or waiting on a line for 7 hours for the processing of government paperwork. Here to see if anyone has any tips as to how I can get the car registered/titled (and get plates) without going to the DMV? My only thought is to go to a dealership and offer to pay/ask for their help.

Any guidance, or sharing of similar frustrations, and tips or tricks are appreciated.

Cheers!

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    I actually had to go to the DMV today to get a copy of my driving record. In and out in under 20 min. It seems NJ has divided up the functions between different locations. The Jersey City MVC had a sign saying what services they were providing and everything else was taken care of in Bayonne. They were also texting/calling people when to come back specifically so they weren’t standing around waiting all day.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1990 325i
    When I lived in NJ I would go to the DMV in Newton. Max time I ever waited to get to the counter was 15 minutes. I once got in and out of there is 7 minutes. I registered cars that were purchased in-state and out-of-state there without any issue. Make sure you have all your documents ahead of time, go in, fill out your reg form, and you should be all set. Whatever you do, do not go to Randolph DMV unless you get there about 2 hours before opening. I hated every minute I ever spent at that bitch. I would drive 30-45 minutes to get to Newton and then drive back knowing that the 1.5 hours of driving was less than I'd spend waiting in line at Randolph.

Also, Godspeed.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by 635bmwIV View Post
    I recently purchased a car from a private seller out of state. I am now in possession of the vehicle and the title (the car is now insured) but am doing everything in my power to avoid the bureaucratic mess that is the DMV (MVC) in here in NJ.

In this internet age, where many of the functions the DMV provides can technically be handled online, we continue to have to wait in line-after-line at crowded DMV offices across this state as though we live in the Soviet Union in the 1970s. In normal times, this process is somewhat annoying, but with the back-ups due to COVID, its almost ridiculous. I have friends who are taking days off work, arriving at 4AM, and waiting 7 hours or more to get a license or related documents. The inspection line is similarly long.

I certainly understand the issues due to COVID, but given the dangers of crowds and the new challenges of the disease, you would think more hygienic, time-efficient, online options would be available.

I would like to get my new (used) car registered and transfer the title, but would like to avoid taking off-work or waiting on a line for 7 hours for the processing of government paperwork. Here to see if anyone has any tips as to how I can get the car registered/titled (and get plates) without going to the DMV? My only thought is to go to a dealership and offer to pay/ask for their help.

Any guidance, or sharing of similar frustrations, and tips or tricks are appreciated.

Cheers!
    Are there "DMV Services" companies in New Jersey or is that even allowed? I had a similar situation and did not want to physically go to the DMV but I was also not interested in our "mail-in" option. The requirement was to send all the original titles in the mail for processing up to Albany, but hell no would I want to do that and risk losing it in transit. I was chatting with a friend and mentioned the issue and in common New York fashion my friend says "I got a guy" so I handed him the paperwork from the DMV website and photo of my license. A week later he rode over and dropped off completed NY DMV registration and a plate for my recently purchased vehicle, the title came a couple weeks later in the mail. The receipt he gave me was from a business that specialized in DMV services and it came out to only a few dollars more than if I went in-person.
    Skeptical, is the only way to describe how I initially felt but everything legitimately processed through the DMV