Thread: Trying to figure out something (suspension) and would love some guidance...

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK

Trying to figure out something (suspension) and would love some guidance...

What would make my 03/00 build date E38 Sport do the following? As I go over bumps or imperfect roads, the car feels little like it is launching upward and sometimes crawling/crabbing sideways. Sometimes it is severe, other times subtle.

Background, only change I made "recently" (or since this started) is changed out the suspension via the FCP 20-piece set along with new shocks/struts (Bilsteins). Rear springs were replaced (they were sport springs too).

I feel like I need to hop under the car, loosen up the suspension while it is under load and then re-torque it all. (I am essentially saying that an installed and torqued suspension without load can launch your car...does that even make sense? It would seem to me that the rubber would fail long before lifting all that weight over and over and with so much gusto!)
    Last edited by SpeedyE38; 09-30-2020 at 10:59 PM.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    did you torque the bushings on all the links down while car was at ride height?
    Almost sounds like something is loose. Tire pressure ok?

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyE38 View Post
    What would make my 03/00 build date E38 Sport do the following? As I go over bumps or imperfect roads, the car feels little like it is laughing upward and sometimes crawling/crabbing sideways. Sometimes it is severe, other times subtle.

Background, only change I made "recently" (or since this started) is changed out the suspension via the FCP 20-piece set along with new shocks/struts (Bilsteins). Rear springs were replaced (there were sport springs too).

I feel like I need to hop under the car, loosen up the suspension while it is under load and then re-torque it all. (I am essentially saying that an installed and torqued suspension without load can launch your car...does that even make sense? It would seem to me that the rubber would fail long before lifting all that weight over and over and with so much gusto!)

Which Bilsteins and springs are you speaking of? There is not much better than the original sport springs and OEM BMW struts. There are few here that have made the leap to B6 struts but I understand it is very stiff.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    What kind of alignment did you do, post install?

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    Thanks all...I don't get updates to my email (I didn't set it up on this thread) so am running behind.

As to the torque...I had a shop do the work. They should have known to do that. They are/were a specialty BMW shop...but who knows if they subbed out the work (I had some signs that indicated they may have.)

As to the alignment, I actually had it done three times. All post work.

As to the Bilsteins (B4s) , there were these...Bilstein Touring 22-045041/ Bilstein Touring 22-045034 and shocks Bilstein Touring 19-028675 on original sport springs.

As of right now, I am going to drop it at a local German specialty shop. When I shared the symptoms, they came to the conclusion that the suspension wasn't torqued under load (their first guess) and if not that then we'd certainly figure it out (which I will report out to you all here.) I am really hoping it is some failed strut or shock at this point as that would give me comfort that the original work was done correctly.
    Last edited by SpeedyE38; 09-25-2020 at 12:40 AM.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Were the alignment numbers in spec or what? Who makes the components of the FCP kit? Any noises? Make sure they didn't swap left vs right arms.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Were the alignment numbers in spec or what? Who makes the components of the FCP kit? Any noises? Make sure they didn't swap left vs right arms.
    Yes, alignment results were in spec and spot on. That's what makes this so weird. Prior to the work, the car rode/drove perfectly fine and handled bumps well.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    That is strange...the only other thing I could think of is a defective shock. When one is blown it can cause the car to yaw around.

I'll never forget as a 10 year old driving around in my mom's 1982 Audi Coupe. The car would randomly start wobbling left to right and front to back after hitting a bump. Felt like we were on a pontoon boat in the ocean. Turns out the front passenger shock was blown.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    That is strange...the only other thing I could think of is a defective shock. When one is blown it can cause the car to yaw around.

I'll never forget as a 10 year old driving around in my mom's 1982 Audi Coupe. The car would randomly start wobbling left to right and front to back after hitting a bump. Felt like we were on a pontoon boat in the ocean. Turns out the front passenger shock was blown.
    That is what I am hoping for...a blown shock (i.e. defective). I don't ave a proper garage to work on it, so I will let the pros guide me.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Hah we had 2 Coupe’s - an 81 and an 82. My first experience with Bilstein. Cool cars - some really sketchy electronics.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    Hah we had 2 Coupe’s - an 81 and an 82. My first experience with Bilstein. Cool cars - some really sketchy electronics.
    My dad hated that car...it was nothing but problems. They bought it new and it would overheat. They had to wire the fan to force it on whenever the A/C was on. Not sure why it wasn't like that to begin. Speedometer broke multiple times. Trunk struts died multiple times. Cruise control never worked. But mechanically it was good.

As a kid not dealing with that stuff, I loved that car. Wish we still had it.

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Indy did something wrong on install of suspension. Hard to tell without looking at the work. Things to check for:

1. Did they re-install the large washer that sits atop the shock piston, and under the shock mount?
    2. Did they properly secure the strut to the shock tower (3 13mm bolts)
    3. Did they actually pre-load the UCAB before locking it down?

Bottom line, they messed something up. What you're experiencing makes no kind of sense.

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    My dad hated that car...it was nothing but problems. They bought it new and it would overheat. They had to wire the fan to force it on whenever the A/C was on. Not sure why it wasn't like that to begin. Speedometer broke multiple times. Trunk struts died multiple times. Cruise control never worked. But mechanically it was good.

As a kid not dealing with that stuff, I loved that car. Wish we still had it.
    First newish car I bought was an '82 Audi Coupe. Loved that car! Never had any problems with it. Pretty rare now and hard to source parts I am told.

Agree with Transportador above. Indy should take a look at it again to discern the cause.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    Okay...update and boy am I happy. I took it to an indy German repair shop. Owner has an E38 sport as well.

They did the review and said that the front suspension was clearly torqued down with the car off-load. They used the term "indexing" for the work they did.

The car drives so much nicer, more stable and controlled. Wonderful feeling. Am so glad my bushings didn't tear due to this.

Now...he had to bring up timing chain guides...

Thanks all for the advice and comments.
    Last edited by SpeedyE38; 09-30-2020 at 07:49 PM.