Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Performance aluminum radiators in M3

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    My understanding of the Z3M radiator is that the Z3 M radiator actually has less frontal surface area to accomplish cooling and in the Z3 that is offset by the addition of an oil cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Z3M S54 radiator is a Euro M3 radiator. The Z3M shape isn’t a point of topic imo. The radiator is shorter for the oil cooler. With or without the oil cooler, the 3-row is superior.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=17112227281

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    Weird, maybe I just got lucky but I’ve never had leaks with the mishimoto and I’m on year 5.
    I was wary with putting my Mishimoto radiator in and kept it as a spare for a long time. Damaged my 10 year old Behr unit and dropped the Mishi unit in. So far so good, with a few track days and events on it.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I’ve usually run the factory radiator (US spec) , or z3m s54 radiator. Had a mishimoto once(junk).

The ECS looks to be a better Quality then mishimoto one I had years ago.

Back to a stocker again.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Nobody said this. It was clearly pointed out to stop supporting vendors that create junk. Mishimoto, CSF, etc are all huge offenders. OE happens to be superior than those and if you need a product that truly offers more, buy Zionsville, PWR, etc.
    If it was worth my time looking up the literally dozens of times it's been said about numerous systems in BMWs, I would post them up. Yes, there is a lot of crap out there. Just saying, too bad there isn't the same quality aftermarket support that Ford, Honda, Chevy, etc. has.

BTW, I've read about countless failures of Mishi radiators but not much on CSF.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    If it was worth my time looking up the literally dozens of times it's been said about numerous systems in BMWs, I would post them up. Yes, there is a lot of crap out there. Just saying, too bad there isn't the same quality aftermarket support that Ford, Honda, Chevy, etc. has.

BTW, I've read about countless failures of Mishi radiators but not much on CSF.
    Nobody has said that here and several (of many) high quality aftermarket options were mentioned.

CSF faults are listed under dubious performance and BS marketing.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Nobody has said that here and several (of many) high quality aftermarket options were mentioned.

CSF faults are listed under dubious performance and BS marketing.

When you say "here" are you limiting the scope of the reference to only this particular thread? Didn't realize the topic was so restricted. But upon review, you recommend OE in post 16 and another on post 20.

CSF faults are where?

Then there's always this.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...radiators+leak
    Last edited by h82crash; 09-24-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    jeez Brett... You're a little harsh...

I've had a Mishi radiator for years, and it fits fine. (did have to modify for hoses, but I had to do that anyway for the SC install...) I'll admit, I got it for a great price (less than the Z3M ) but I've had no problems. I bet you could fine someone that had a faulty Zionsville one too, Welding isn't always a perfect art..
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post

I've had a Mishi radiator for years, and it fits fine. (did have to modify for hoses, but I had to do that anyway for the SC install...) I'll admit, I got it for a great price (less than the Z3M ) but I've had no problems. I bet you could fine someone that had a faulty Zionsville one too, Welding isn't always a perfect art..
    Correct
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si

no doubt about that, but Mishimoto's Quality Control seems especially bad. I've had 2 of theirs leak on me and I've seen countless accounts of that occurring to others on this forum and elsewhere
    -Rich-

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

I don't think I've been harsh enough tbh. Their failure rate is absurd and they are a poor fit.

Zionsville is not perfect. I've had issues and we all saw Stuck's mental breakdown over his issues. For the most part they make great parts and Dwight is a great guy to deal with.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    I’ve had my mishimoto radiator in my s52 for 5 years, worked better than stock and I base that off of the 2 coolant temp sensors I had, one pre-radiator in the hose, and one post in the hose (using adaptors of course).

So I thought I would use it in my S54 once I completed the swap. Swap has been done for 2 years now and I’m convinced that the mishimoto is not up to par to cool the S54.

I just ordered the Behr 01-02 z3M radiator, and will also move my oil cooler from behind my kidneys to the new z3M oil cooler. While I’m im in there, I’m going to change the water pump I’ve had brand new in the box, thermostat as well. I’m using the e30 over flow tank.

also thinking of going back to the mechanical fan than the large high flow SPAL I have. We’ll see
    Last edited by TH3 Shifty; 09-30-2020 at 12:57 AM.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    I hope you're planning on using a EMP Stewart (do they make one for the S54?)

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    There seem to be three schools of thought about BMW radiators:
    1. Stock pattern plastic/aluminum and replace them preemptively every xx thousand miles
    2. Chinese cheapos and hope for the best
    3. Expensive premium racing brands.

Option #2 didn't exist back in 2003 so I went #3 and bought a PWR. Not cheap in any sense of the word, but it's certainly proven to be durable.
    https://www.crracing.com/product/bmw...88-99-radiator
    PWR now owns C&R, but this particular product is made by the parent company in Australia.

Just one more data point.

Neil
    96 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Had a mishimoto for about 5 years. It never leaked, but I didn't trust it past that. It took some custom fitting.
    For less than $200 every 3-4 years or so, I'll use the Z3M radiator.
    (Track only, no A/C, hood vents, very rarely see 200 deg. On days that don't make it into the 90s, I'll see 180-190 max on track.)

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I have a C&R fatboy radiator that performed incredibly well with custom ducting (sorry Brett)-- 180-190 degrees F on track with S54......but it eventually sprung a leak and I haven't had it repaired. I am currently using the Z3M radiator; water temps are higher but still well under control (195-200 F) on track.

My advice, just get the Z3M rad and call it a day, or the OE rad, through FCP Euro to get their warranty.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    I have a C&R fatboy radiator that performed incredibly well with custom ducting (sorry Brett)-- 180-190 degrees F on track with S54......but it eventually sprung a leak and I haven't had it repaired. I am currently using the Z3M radiator; water temps are higher but still well under control (195-200 F) on track.

My advice, just get the Z3M rad and call it a day, or the OE rad, through FCP Euro to get their warranty.
    Yep
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post

I wasn't being negative about C&R. Zionsville, "etc"...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12