Thread: Widescreen polarization direction?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP

Widescreen polarization direction?

I recently swapped out my 4:3 monitor for a 16:9 after the 4:3 started delaminating from the heat.

What I noticed is that the polarization of the screen is 90 degrees off from my 4:3 monitor and the dash LCDs. Meaning, before when I wore any of my sunglasses, I could still see the dash LCD and the 4:3 monitor. Now, I can still see the dash, but I can't see my 16:9 monitor unless I turn my head 45 degrees or take my sunglasses off.

Is this just my monitor or does everyone have this issue? I find it difficult that BMW would overlook this. Unfortunately, I think it would require a new screen with different polarizer to fix.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Did the screen come from an x5?

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530

Stepping back 14 Years....

If you want to fine tune any 16x9 board monitor, the following article is quite good.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/211409/
    If you want to take it to the next level and you have a video module in the car - obtain a copy of the
    old Video Essentials DVD and a DVD player. Plug the DVD player into the video input on the video module
    and 'play' the video tuning procedures on the DVD and adjust the board monitor as needed. You will have
    a pretty amazing 'picture' display on your board monitor.
    Video Essentials was the videophiles answer for DIY home theater calibration way back when.

Craig

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Is this just my monitor or does everyone have this issue? I find it difficult that BMW would overlook this. Unfortunately, I think it would require a new screen with different polarizer to fix.
    My E38 does this on my original 4:3 monitor and the 16:9 I pulled from an E39. Our X5 (E53) does this as well... I've noticed that on my cheaper $30 sunglasses, it's really bad. On my expensive good ones, it's far better. The quality of the lens you're looking through has a pretty big impact it would seem! I know enough about optics to understand why that would be, so I learned to live with it and just wear my nicer glasses as often as possible

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Did the screen come from an x5?
    Honestly, I couldn't tell you because I pieced this widescreen together with parts from 3 units. The screen was from another unit, but I believe it was from an E38. Can't say for sure. Did the X5 vs E38 have different polarizers on the screens?

Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    My E38 does this on my original 4:3 monitor and the 16:9 I pulled from an E39. Our X5 (E53) does this as well... I've noticed that on my cheaper $30 sunglasses, it's really bad. On my expensive good ones, it's far better. The quality of the lens you're looking through has a pretty big impact it would seem! I know enough about optics to understand why that would be, so I learned to live with it and just wear my nicer glasses as often as possible
    It's not my sunglasses. All of my sunglasses are polarized the same way. I have a pair of beater Bolle glasses and my nice Maui Jims both don't let me see the screen. Very annoying.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by cdh View Post
    If you want to fine tune any 16x9 board monitor, the following article is quite good.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/211409/
    If you want to take it to the next level and you have a video module in the car - obtain a copy of the
    old Video Essentials DVD and a DVD player. Plug the DVD player into the video input on the video module
    and 'play' the video tuning procedures on the DVD and adjust the board monitor as needed. You will have
    a pretty amazing 'picture' display on your board monitor.
    Video Essentials was the videophiles answer for DIY home theater calibration way back when.

Craig
    Wow that is a fantastic write up. I've noticed some screens in the past seem more dull than others. Fortunately for me, my screen has great color saturation, brightness and contrast and I can see it fine at my normal driving position. It's just the polarization that's 90 degrees off to everything else in the car and my sunglasses.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

There are indeed different viewing angles for the E39/E38 & E53 monitor units and many E39 guys get caught out buying an X5 unit and vice versa. There is a fiddly way to adjust the viewing angle as you can see from that link. The OEM screens/TFT panels aren't polarized.

Try different polarized sunglasses to the ones you have currently. I've had this issue before as well but thankfully with mobile phone screens so I can just move the phone to another location or use in landscape to resolve. That's when I'm in other vehicles. Right now, I'm in between head units in my E39, and the Alpine iLX-W650 is due to be fitted so will be testing the 'polarized' sunglasses issue and hoping it'll be ok ! I've found some moderately priced £20-35 ($30-40 or so) polarized sunglasses work fine. Other's, give the issue. For instance, my lovely genuine Ray Ban 3459 Polarized were 'just' on the edge of having the polarization causing a bit of the issue, I had to move my head a little more to get a clear view, in normal looking, the screen would be slightly 'dimmed'.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Wouldn't non-polarized sunglasses solve the problem?
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    This is a good point, yes non-polarized sunglasses would solve the problem. However, polarization reduces glare and helps clarity in bright light.

Not to mention my sunglasses are probably worth more than the widescreen nowadays.