Thread: Quite Upset - Loose Oil Pan/Leaking Oil, Mechanic's Fault

My Cars
    11/87 735i & 735il P/C

Angry Quite Upset - Loose Oil Pan/Leaking Oil, Mechanic's Fault

I discovered over the past few weeks that my E32 developed a steady oil leak whenever it was parked while hot/warm. It would drip out and form a 3-4 inch puddle before stopping.

Last year I paid my mechanic $800 to replace the oil pan gasket after we discovered it had a big chunk missing (via smoke test). I figured this time it must be the rear main seal, or something else - because that's around where the oil was coming from, at the back of the oil pan.

Well, today upon closer inspection I discovered that every single one of the oil pan bolts was *literally* finger-tight. Like anywhere between .5-1 ft pounds up to like 3 ft pounds!!!! I torqued them all to 7.5 and I'm praying that'll stop the leak. Cannot believe I've been driving for a year like this

This is the final straw - there have been other incidents that made me question their work, like when I got the car back and all of the hose clamps for the intake system were completely loose, not even barely tightened after they had it disassembled. And the first time, after a complete front suspension refresh (minus struts), there was a horrible clunking/thudding at low speeds over moderately-rough roads. It was so bad I parked the car and sent it back on a AAA trailer. Should've taken it as a sign!!!!

The only things they've done completely right are 1) Fix my power windows/interior lights/wipers with a wire splice, and 2) do an alignment + balance. I must say... the alignment has been perfect for nearly 2 years now - maybe they should just specialize in tires!

Apologies for the rant - I just had to vent to the only people who can truly understand the struggle of finding knowledgeable E32 mechanics! UGH!
    1983 4-spd Mercedes 240d w/403k - Sold!

11/87 E32 735iA w/45k - Daily Driver (finally!)

04/88 E32 735iL - Parts Car

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    I’m convinced very few shops have the competency to wrench on old German cars. Many flat out refuse to service them (for example, I had a 190E a few years back with mechanical fuel injection problems. Nobody would touch it, not even the dealer). It’s sad that we must rely on each other to solve problems, but at the same time it’s a blessing to have shogun, E32Fan, and others around who are truly dedicated to E32 preservation. The collective community knowledge is priceless

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Cam....I'd be a little more pissed off at that mechanic than you seem to be. When I was a youngster I could let these things roll off my shoulders, but these days I seem to explode when those who are supposed to know, do things wrong. I hope you find yourself a decent pro to help you with the things you can't do yourself. I have a real pro in Pompano Beach about 40 miles from my home, so I just leave the car and Uber home when necessary. In case you have a rear seal problem in the future, I'd like you to read what happened to me when I started chasing my M30 oil leaks. My motor as been completely dry since this work was done, other than the front camshaft seal done a year later. That's the seal you get to by taking off the distributor cap. A much easier job. But read this story about the infamous rear crankshaft seal "shim". In almost 31 years of ownership this was my worst repair. Not cost wise, but this repair should have come with a bottle of xanax.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...+leak+bolt+fix
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    11/87 735i & 735il P/C
    Make no mistake - I am definitely P***ED OFF.

Especially after re-torquing the bolts and now it is still leaking. I’m thinking the seal itself was probably damaged during the interim 1 year I drove it with the loose bolts.

I plan to go in Thursday (not how I planned to spend my 25th bday vacation time!!!) and tell them what I discovered. I’m worried they will try to push back, especially because they are tight again now...

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Quote Originally Posted by CamE32 View Post
    Make no mistake - I am definitely P***ED OFF.

Especially after re-torquing the bolts and now it is still leaking. I’m thinking the seal itself was probably damaged during the interim 1 year I drove it with the loose bolts.

I plan to go in Thursday (not how I planned to spend my 25th bday vacation time!!!) and tell them what I discovered. I’m worried they will try to push back, especially because they are tight again now...
    Well, good luck with them. I don't know if I'd trust them to do the rear engine seal. They have to remove your transmission to get to it. You have some decisions to make. If they do it, don't forget that shim I mentioned in the thread. Twenty five years old. Happy B'day. For me that was 1973 and I had just finished 6 years in the Air Force. I'd love to be 25 with an E32 to work on.
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    way too many
    I feel your pain. I have replaced 3 pan gaskets, not much fun and alot like work. If doing it yourself, it's best done combined with a front suspension refresh replacing control arms and bushings, and dropping the front crossmember to get direct access to dropping the pan. The downside is I was never able to find other than cork gaskets for m30's and they have a finite life and will need periodic tightening of the bolts. The metal/rubber gaskets used in e36 328i's are much better but I digress . . . good luck, removing the trans to replace the rear main seal will get more expensive but I have not had one leak with under 200k miles.

There is a leak path in one of the bolts for the crank position sensor mount. The website slips my mind at the moment but Shogun probably has ready recall. Sometimes they leak to the point of oil blowing back toward the rear of the motor and can also look like a timing chain cover oil leak.
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!