Thread: Bavsound New Speakers for my e38

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop

Bavsound New Speakers for my e38

So as I was removing the rack of 4 speakers in the back to get to the struts, I barely touched one and it crumbled in my hands. So I ordered the set of four available at BavSound. They work perfectly and sound great.

Big thumbs up on the customer service at Bavsound. Especially Justin Rowley.

These cars take special speakers. Bavsound speakers are excellent and a perfect fit.

Here is what I ordered.

https://www.bavsound.com/products/bm...kit-4-speakers

You can also get the door speakers at BavSound.

If you have questions, email them at support@bavsound.com

Highly Recommended.

T
    Last edited by tomloans; 09-19-2020 at 12:23 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740i
    I did BavSound speakers all around too and Im happy with the setup
    2000 BMW 740i build
    Oxford Green II | Sand Beige | Sport Package

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathKing View Post
    I did BavSound speakers all around too and Im happy with the setup
    Yes it was much easier and deletes any guess work.

My Cars
    1997 740iL BMW 03862
    I got 4 about almost 2 years ago can't wait to hear them with the headliner redone now going to install the headliner in a few days there's actually a raised area in the headliner in the rear section has to be for a few engineered things like the sound system and even the hvac etc. .......

My Cars
    Check the Signature
    Completely agree, did the monsoon upgrade a few years ago before Bavsound had a rear deck option, but went with Bavsound for the doors and sounds great.
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
    '92 Olds Toronado Trofeo (Project)

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)
    '20 M2:Competition 6spd (Sold)

My Cars
    MEIN STAFF CAR
    `

To the O.P.

I have to ask -

Bavsound's website via the link you provided

states that this is a 20 minute job -

Would you say that is accurate based on your

recent install -

Thank-You
    D.B.

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    Quote Originally Posted by COOPERDB View Post
    `

To the O.P.

I have to ask -

Bavsound's website via the link you provided

states that this is a 20 minute job -

Would you say that is accurate based on your

recent install -

Thank-You
    D.B.

I did the install a few weeks ago and for my experience, it was not 20 minutes. Since it was the first time for me to take down the back seat and remove all the trim etc. without breaking any clips etc. to get to the speakers, I would say 30 minutes in is when I had the shelf out and started replacing the speakers. But I also recognize, the first time I do anything on the car, I am overly cautious. So I would say for me it took an hour from start to finish with double checks in there. The speakers were absolutely plug and play though. Took my stereo from being mediocre and in need of an overhaul, to very happy and satisfied with the sound.
    2001 - Alpine White 740IL
    Old Sig - 1998 BMW 740IL Black on black, HID headlamps and HID fogs, CCFL Angel Eyes and custom screwdriver holding up window mod!!

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    Quote Originally Posted by backinblack98 View Post
    I did the install a few weeks ago and for my experience, it was not 20 minutes. Since it was the first time for me to take down the back seat and remove all the trim etc. without breaking any clips etc. to get to the speakers, I would say 30 minutes in is when I had the shelf out and started replacing the speakers. But I also recognize, the first time I do anything on the car, I am overly cautious. So I would say for me it took an hour from start to finish with double checks in there. The speakers were absolutely plug and play though. Took my stereo from being mediocre and in need of an overhaul, to very happy and satisfied with the sound.
    Ditto, tearing it down to get to the speaker rack takes some time. Mine was taken apart already due to strut replacement but you are likely looking at 3 hours totally if you are methodical and it is your first time. Plus I cleaned everything before I put it back. Speaker replacement in the rack is likely about 30 minutes.

My Cars
    2016 340i XDrive M-Sport
    When I installed mine back in Nov 2018, I removed the speaker grill covers, unscrewed the speakers, wired the new Bav's in, set the foam insulations and rescrewed into the box. You don't have to remove the seats or the speaker box at all to do this install.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Coslin View Post
    When I installed mine back in Nov 2018, I removed the speaker grill covers, unscrewed the speakers, wired the new Bav's in, set the foam insulations and rescrewed into the box. You don't have to remove the seats or the speaker box at all to do this install.
    I did the same but it wasn't the most comfortable install since there isn't a lot of space back there to work.
    2000 BMW 740i build

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    What I wish they'd bring back is their Bavsound subwoofer box for trunk. I was one of the last ones to get it and it's been a great setup.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    2016 340i XDrive M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathKing View Post
    I did the same but it wasn't the most comfortable install since there isn't a lot of space back there to work.
    Oh no, it defiantly wasn't fun. But it was better than pulling the entire seats out, etc. At least, it was to me.

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    I wish I had known.... Could have saved me some time. At least I now know what I will be dealing with when I am replacing shocks & springs in the back.
    2001 - Alpine White 740IL
    Old Sig - 1998 BMW 740IL Black on black, HID headlamps and HID fogs, CCFL Angel Eyes and custom screwdriver holding up window mod!!

My Cars
    2016 340i XDrive M-Sport
    I wish I had known.... Could have saved me some time. At least I now know what I will be dealing with when I am replacing shocks & springs in the back.
    I paid someone to replace the rear struts when the cartridges let go. No thank you!

My Cars
    1999 740i
    I am getting ready to install the new 4 speaker set from Bavsound. How do you get to the speakers? Is it through the trunk or through the back seat? I am over cautious as well, seeing how old my baby is.
    Thanks,

My Cars
    1997 740iL BMW 03862
    "if you are planning on taking the subwoofer enclosure out then the back seats need to get removed to access a few plastic retainers to remove the felt cover also there are a few screws under the speaker grills that also need to get removed that secure the felt cover to the subwoofer enclosure, after removing the felt cover you can then access the bolts that secure the subwoofer enclosure to the rear frame of the car, ... "
    Last edited by chemmech; 08-28-2021 at 05:49 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740i
    I tried to take the shortcut of not removing the back seats or the enclosure and it was not fun working in that little space but all you have to do is pry the speaker covers off.
    2000 BMW 740i build

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    I noticed with my kit the foam square cutouts with a smaller circular ring. Are these intended for the subs? Do you use both the rounded ring and squared off section?
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

My Cars
    2000 740il, 1999 528i
    I did the Bavsound setup with a BlueBus bluetooth connection, and I'm convinced this is the only way to go.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Suschords View Post
    I did the Bavsound setup with a BlueBus bluetooth connection, and I'm convinced this is the only way to go.
    How is the bass response? I have a set I haven't installed yet. I also have a set of Monsoon's for the rear that I haven't tried either.

My Cars
    2000 740il, 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    How is the bass response? I have a set I haven't installed yet. I also have a set of Monsoon's for the rear that I haven't tried either.
    no complaints at all. Very happy with bass output, but then again you’re speaking to someone who likes all genres old and new, and likes clear and balanced sound with bass that’s not excessive.

My Cars
    2000 540iT Sport
    This is an older post, But Bavsound still sells the set of 4 rear subwoofers and the 8 mid/tweeter speakers for the doors. I just ordered the whole set for about $800. I am keeping the original DSP system because its actually pretty good, and if it aint broke, dont fix it. I will be installing a Bluebus in another month when it arrives in the April shipment batch. Here is my experience so far, after putting in the rear woofers and getting half way with the first door before running into issues:
    1. You do NOT need to remove the rear seats etc to install the subwoofers. And i dont really know what people are talking about saying its hard to get to the speakers with them still in the speaker surround with the seats in. if you've ever worked on a car then youre used to small spaces and having to cope. This is basically that. Just take your time, don't make any dumb mistakes that will smash your rear window, and you will be fine.
    2. The rear speaker install is basically a) remove grill, b) unscrew 4 screws per speaker, c) pull speaker up and out, d) cut wires from speaker (they are soldered on), e) strip wires and connect spades provided in Bavsound system, f) Put gasket on base of speaker so that the speaker is sitting on the gasket, and the gasket is between the speaker and the metal housing, g) Connect spades to connections on speaker, h) Put speaker with gasket and wires attached into the hole, i) (Test speakers, then...) Reattach speaker with 4 original screws, j) put speaker grill back on. Done
    3. The front door speakers is where Bavsounds instructions run into problems. Their online videos are literally from 16 years ago! They are different speakers with different parts included! There is no foam gasket in the video, but there is one in the packet. 3rd party videos show the gasket going on the speaker after install, between speaker and door panel. The Bavsound videos show a different type of gasket (not in the package) being applied to the speaker between the speaker and the metal base it screws into (even tho no such gasket exists originally) and then reusing the weird baffle thing off the old speaker and applying it to the new speaker - even tho that baffle is 20 years old, crushed, and probably useless! But like i said - the video is 16 years old!
    4. The doors have two "tweeters". The video shows the replacement of the smaller one and makes no mention of the second one. Like do you leave it plugged in? Do you remove it? Who knows...Cause the video is 16 years old using different bavsound speakers!

Thats where my install ended. Its a Friday night. Now i need to wait till Monday to keep going instead of doing the job over the weekend - you know, when i have the time. Because i paid $800 for the damned thing and for that price i expect a company to have updated 16 year old videos!! So that they include the parts they actually shipped me. Yeah...im pissed. The system might end up sounding great, and the install probably could have been quick and easy....if they weren't lazy bastards and were trying to get away with using 16 YEAR OLD VIDEOS!! get it fixed people....If you're selling as many of these as your website says you are, then you have the $s to create a few more videos.....

I have emailed their support - because god forbid someone actually answer the phone in the middle of an install - and will update with what one is actually meant to do once i get that info, on Monday sometime.

I will say after installing the rear subwoofers that the system already sounded 1000% better. Like astoundingly better. My woofers were still making some noise, but also vibrating and buzzing a decent amount. So basically putting out very little bass, and making annoying sounds every 10-15 seconds. So the bar was low....but i was genuinely impressed with the bavsound woofers, I am keeping my fingers crossed that continues with the door mids and tweeters.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Bavsound New Speakers for my e38

@hogg the bavsound is the way to go for sure for simplicity and ease of install. Agreed that their ancient installation videos and the lack of a pdf installation manual is a miss. I communicated the same to their support and they replied "we would like to eventually film an updated installation video for the E38, but it's been difficult to allocate the resources to doing so." Coming up on 2 years and they are still a worthwhile upgrade.
    Last edited by Btkeenan; 03-23-2024 at 02:19 PM.
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD