Thread: I hate covid!!!

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0

I hate covid!!!

I'm not trying to be crass here, but I hate Covid because it put a huge damper on my ability to sell my Z3 this year. That was my plan for spring to clear the garage for something new. Plans change.

I think I have put less than 60 miles on the car so far in 2002. I wanted to take it out a lot over the last few weeks, but the fires in WA were too nasty to deal with. Now we're into rain season and I really don't like taking it out in the rain. Can't catch a break, or so it seems. Maybe God is being nice to me, doing all these things to make keep it for a while longer... so it will give me back the $ I spent buying it in the first place? Or maybe I am just sentimental? Oh well.

Still my Z3 is the best car I've ever owned. Love the looks. Still like the drive. It still reminds me a lot of my dad's '66 Jag E Type. Torque. That 3.0i M54 was a good engine. Throttle response in 5th is exactly what I want, when I want it, and ample. Never tracked it, but I bet I would be happy. Then again, I'm a 7 to 8/10ths driver at best, so...

I just don't use the car enough anymore. I hate to let it sit. I have restored and rebuilt a lot of cars, so I know what time and rot will do. Still, this Z3 is not leaking, not wailing, not spot weld popping.

I cannot sell it for what I think it is worth at this time. So, I just keep it snug. Someone will get it someday and smile. If they are allowed to own a car in their era. I am happy I have mine.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    I hate covid!!!
    A year from now, life will somewhat be back to normal. In the meantime, I've been restoring the house and dreaming of the perfect drive.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    z3
    I read some reports this may go on into 2022

Did anyone think it would have lasted this long as it is?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    We will see how serious covid is after the first Tuesday in November.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    We will see how serious covid is after the first Tuesday in November.
    My mom said this out loud too.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    But we already know how serious it is:deaths, unemployment, homelessness. Question is: will it get better or worse?

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Tell me about serious. My risk factors put me in the 10% risk of dying group. And, it doesn't respect politics-it will stay deadly serious and until we get serious about stomping it out.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Exactly...but let’s keep these discussions in the OT section
    Last edited by z3forlife; 09-19-2020 at 06:34 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    DRIVE WISE: Considering everything that has happened over the last several months, I'm very pleased with the lack of people that were out on the roads. I've been up in the Sierra high country wearing out tires and fluids on the toys. Only downside is I now have my first popped weld in my trunk and I earned it. Oh the joys of 2020!!

What will happen next??? 2021 and a subframe repair!!!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    So, the big question to you is: Did you have poly subframe bushings installed? This is to learn about whether they prevent that problem.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    I bought the 01 Z3M with 53K on the clock in 2017, ZERO signs of subframe failure. Not even a discolored weld in the trunk which is the first sign of a weld going south I believe, rust never sleeps. At apox 70K I refreshed the suspension with all new powerflex poly, bilstiens, this that and the udder thing. I think the 3:73 dif didn't help the subframe either but I sure do like it. Now at 95K on the M. Bottom line IMO is the OEM subframe will eventually fail if the car is driven!!! Sunday go to church car, no problem. There are two kinds of Z3's. Those that have been repaired and those that have not ...... yet. I don't track the car but I do push it where I believe it's safe to do so. Earlier today I logged 150+ miles on the bike over Carson and Ebbets passes in the Sierra's with very little to no traffic other than the range cattle using the road on a blue bird day ............... Darn bike needs work too At least the smoke from the fires are blowing elsewhere for the time being ...... darn chipmunks playing with matches again!!

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Regarding Covid. Lots of things, including flu cause death. No shutdown or shut in for those. Those who are high risk have to be concerned about all health hazards. The mask rule for everyone is totally ridiculous. This is the perfect storm for an election year. What's horrible is how many lives are being negatively affected for the sake of a power grab. I'm done.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I read some reports this may go on into 2022. Did anyone think it would have lasted this long as it is?
    The pandemic of 1918 lasted two years, and its N1H1 virus did not die out. It mutated and attenuated year after year into the flu of today. That is what will likely happen with the present SARS-CoV-2. Pandemics diminish when enough have been immunized through infection or vaccination to reduce transmission, but their virus does not just go away.

Last edited by Vintage42; 09-19-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    Regarding Covid... What's horrible is how many lives are being negatively affected for the sake of a power grab...
    Might pass 200,000 deaths this weekend.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Seriously? You all want to turn this into a political thread? At least educate yourselves first.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I just watched live at the Kate and was introduced to Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe. It was great and I can’t wait for us all to get through this and be able to enjoy live music again....and less division.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    A year from now, life will somewhat be back to normal. In the meantime, I've been restoring the house and dreaming of the perfect drive.
    Ditto! I've done more woodworking, plumbing, lighting, and painting than I've ever done in previous years combined. I also have hiked just about every weekend since this thing started, which I've never thought would happen. Who knew it'd take a lockdown for me to spend more time outdoors than I ever had during my office life. If fact, I don't think I'll ever go back to office life.

I might work on a car again, but I have to save something for the winter.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by s8ilver; 09-20-2020 at 12:30 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    00 Z3M-07 Tacoma dbl cab
    That's part of the reason why I decided to purchase my z3M now. I'll have time to work on her through the winter when we'll probably all be sent into lock down again and I'm not out skiing. Then, once spring rolls around I can put the top down and start cruising through the Saw Tooth Mountains with her all squared away & a few upgrades to test out too

My Cars
    98 M3, 02 Z3 Coupe
    Just purchased another addition to the family, a 2002 BMW Z3 coupe. Searching the pages and I came about this post about COVID-19. I guess I was a bit naive on how long this would last. While everyone in the family is healthy and that is the important thing, this past year has been a blur. Our large Cars and Coffee and other local meets have all but faded away and this is the first time in over thirty years that we haven’t left the state.

One our favorite Cars and Coffee at the Amelia Island Concours D’ Elegance has been moved forward two months to late May so we are crossing our fingers we can attend again.

My 98 M3 is in great shape so I tore into our 99 Jeep Wrangler and replaced the entire brake system, and like others have mentioned we started to catch-up on all those small projects around the house.

I am going to start replacing the original cooling system on the Z 3 Coupe next. Thanks to the internet, You Tube and these forums if you have a bit of time and patience these repairs are pretty straight forward.

I hope everyone stays healthy and maybe hopefully we can see this COVID fade away by the end of the year and we can get back to normal.
    Last edited by JBZ4; 01-31-2021 at 07:35 AM.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    JBZ4, your Cars and Coffee must be huge when it is running. Amelia Island is famous, especially since “Chasing Classic Cars” features it so much. There is a small car scene up here in the Pacific North West - Kitsap, but nothing like CA or FL.

Still, there are little gatherings here and there. Nothing advertised... just people out doing “essential” chores and happen to meet up. Masks are worn and distancing occurs. I work in an essential business and am exposed to at least 50 people per day. I haven’t even gotten a cold since March.

Since I posted this thread, I’ve decided to keep the car a while longer. It does what I want it to do and the alternatives would cost me a lot of bucks for just a little bit of extra fun.

I too have been tearing into things and fixing. I also bought a 1962 Matchless motorcycle for fun. It’s not perfect by any means, but it is a fun bike to tinker with.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    98 M3, 02 Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002Z3 View Post
    JBZ4, your Cars and Coffee must be huge when it is running. Amelia Island is famous, especially since “Chasing Classic Cars” features it so much. There is a small car scene up here in the Pacific North West - Kitsap, but nothing like CA or FL.

Still, there are little gatherings here and there. Nothing advertised... just people out doing “essential” chores and happen to meet up. Masks are worn and distancing occurs. I work in an essential business and am exposed to at least 50 people per day. I haven’t even gotten a cold since March.

Since I posted this thread, I’ve decided to keep the car a while longer. It does what I want it to do and the alternatives would cost me a lot of bucks for just a little bit of extra fun.

I too have been tearing into things and fixing. I also bought a 1962 Matchless motorcycle for fun. It’s not perfect by any means, but it is a fun bike to tinker with.

We are nowhere near the car scene of CA but it’s not to shabby. I think everyone here is itching for this to be over start getting their cars out. Talking to the agent at Haggerty when adding my Z3 Coupe he said this past year had been one of their best years. Crazy.

Picture is my M3 from last years Cars and Coffee at the Concours. We were lucky they did not cancel, the following week Florida went into lock down.
    Attached Images Attached Images