Thread: Not sure what these errors mean

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650

Not sure what these errors mean

I'm more concerned about the SRS codes. Also, not sure if it's related but unable to read my LCM settings, scanner return No Found.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Is there any warning lights on

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    No CEL, I read these code using the BMW Scanner 1.4

My Cars
    '99 540iAT; '00 528iT/5
    You might have more responses in the general E39 section, as neither the LCM nor the SRS system are particularly touring specific.

If BMW Scanner can't see an LCM, but can find every other module, I'd guess that your LCM is faulty or unplugged. Pretty common problem given the location of the LCM is pretty water prone (passenger footwell). Are you having any lighting issues? When mine failed, all of the lights worked fine, but the interior turn signal indicators (in the cluster) didn't flash or 'click'.

The SRS module errors indicate a toasted module. The error 240 "internal control unit fault" typically can't be cleared using software, so most people just replace the module (beneath the center console armrest) and code it to the car. What year is your car? 2002?
    1999 540iAT Glacier Green / Black
    2003 525iT/5 Oxford Green II / Beige
    2011 328i Conv. Platinum Bronze

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Lets start with the quickie tests FIRST before going off on a snipe hunt.

Battery Voltage at rest_______________
    Charging System
    Voltage at idle__________
    Voltage at 1500 RPM ____________
    Voltage at 2500 RPM ____________

The last two tests should be with every accessory on

Now That that is over
    Check the battery cables from the battery to the grounds and positive cable to ensure the explosive charge section is functional
    Test procedure is a Voltage drop test

Every electrical component/module on an E39 requires proper voltage to function. Poor grounds, low voltage will send all types of false failure codes. Trifecta etc. Take a few mins to ensure the starting system and the charging systems are putting out correctly. Water in the trunk, water under the passenger seat, water in the LR/RR back pockets that shorting out wire connectors have been reported to cause all types of weird issues as electricity will seek the easiest ground available.

As these cars are now 20 years old, everything is suspect when it comes to water intrusions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StephenVA; 09-23-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTouring View Post
    You might have more responses in the general E39 section, as neither the LCM nor the SRS system are particularly touring specific.

If BMW Scanner can't see an LCM, but can find every other module, I'd guess that your LCM is faulty or unplugged. Pretty common problem given the location of the LCM is pretty water prone (passenger footwell). Are you having any lighting issues? When mine failed, all of the lights worked fine, but the interior turn signal indicators (in the cluster) didn't flash or 'click'.

The SRS module errors indicate a toasted module. The error 240 "internal control unit fault" typically can't be cleared using software, so most people just replace the module (beneath the center console armrest) and code it to the car. What year is your car? 2002?
    Thanks for your response, my interior turn signal lights does not display on the cluster, but they work on the outside. My passenger side angel eyes are not working, all other lights are working fine.

My car is 2002.

I had purchased LCM on ebay but we couldn't get any reading from that module. LCM module is not the only one not responding, I think maybe four or five modules were not communicating. I also order General Module, hoping that would help, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I will look for SRS module, and maybe replace as well.

Thanks

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Lets start with the quickie tests FIRST before going off on a snipe hunt.

Battery Voltage at rest_______________
    Charging System
    Voltage at idle__________
    Voltage at 1500 RPM ____________
    Voltage at 2500 RPM ____________

The last two tests should be with every accessory on

Now That that is over
    Check the battery cables from the battery to the grounds and positive cable to ensure the explosive charge section is functional
    Test procedure is a Voltage drop test

Every electrical component/module on an E39 requires proper voltage to function. Poor grounds, low voltage will send all types of false failure codes. Trifecta etc. Take a few mins to ensure the starting system and the charging systems are putting out correctly. Water in the trunk, water under the passenger seat, water in the LR/RR back pockets that shorting out wire connectors have been reported to cause all types of weird issues as electricity will seek the easiest ground available.

As these cars are now 20 years old, everything is suspect when it comes to water intrusions.
    Stephen thank you for the details, question. Should I do voltage test at the terminal in the hood, or at the battery?

In your illustration for testing the ground and battery cables, these are Ohm tests correct?

I will run these test this weekend, and report back.

Last year I was getting water in the RR, but not LR. RR leak was corrected, also I was seeing water spots on passenger side mat, when I pulled up part of the carpet it was a but wet. I tried leaving it expose during the hot period of June and July. I found that drain hose from sunroof was blocked.

Will report back with results

Thanks

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    So these are the modules not founds, see image.

VID
    NAV
    VMGP
    BMBT
    LCM
    LEW

As for voltage
    At rest 12.53v at the battery
    12.53 from terminal in the hood
    At idle 14.16v

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    Update

I removed passenger front seat, and went under the carpet, discovered one ground strap disconnected. After reconnecting I was able to get LCM communication. But it went back out yesterday.

Better news
    I purchased SRS module and happy to report, after installing and recoding yesterday I have no more airbag light on the dash.

Also, replaced my battery lead positive terminal. No more SRS errors codes.

Thank you guys for you suggestions

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    congrats!

Your reported battery and charging test show that the battery and charging systems are working fine.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    I'm happy I was able to get these resolved without having to pay big bucks. Planning to visit the salvage yard for replacement GMIII module, and maybe LCM IV module. My next project is my Subframe bushings replacement

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    I figured this problem was over, yesterday my car was parked for 13 hours at work. When I got to the car last night my headlights and fog lights were all on tail lights were not on, car had no problems starting. As I got closer to home my high bean lights started flashing on/off. It stopped flashing after intentional flash the high bean

Any ideas