RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! 2009 BMW 328ix M SULEV. Dealer maybe ripping me off?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328ix M Package

HELP! 2009 BMW 328ix M SULEV. Dealer maybe ripping me off?

Hello everyone I am new here so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I need your help.
    I own a 2009 bmw 328ix M package Sulev. My vehicle is top notch I never abuse it and always take good care if it.
    My mileage just reached 105000. My local bmw dealership (rally bmw) had an offer for $99 oil change and a complementary multi point inspection.
    After taking it to the dealer for oil change and when I got the car back I used Carly app to run a quick diagnostic and I found those 2 codes below with no light on dashboard;
    1st code: 00578E (Transmission GS 19)
    2nd code: 0054C6 (Transmission)

I always check my car with carly and I'm surprised right after an oil change I'm getting those 2 codes.\
    Dealer told me that Mechanic recommends that I change/replace front transfer case fluid because he is claiming it lost viscosity. He quoted me $800 to replace the fluid for the front transfer case he said its a big job because part of it is connected to the Transmission. He scared me saying that transfer case is very expensive and I could be damaging it and will cost me $7000 to fix later on if I don't replace the fluid.
    I'm not having any issues whatsoever with my car or handling. I live in New York City and I drive mostly highway with this car.

Dealer also says that tech also recommends that I do a transmission service with new filter and fluid and he said it'll cost around $800 since the trans oil is very expensive.

my transmission if running PERFECT. I have no issues with the car whatsoever.
    Please help me on what should I do here. Is he trying to rip me off?
    Do I really have to do any of these?

Please help me as I'm going through financial hardship and I'm not looking to be spending any unnecessary money for now.

Thank you for your input I really appreciate it

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Transmission GS1912 (GM transmission)
    578E = "Transmission fluid deteriorated"

Transfer case (VGSG90)
    54C6 = "Oil Wear"

Basically it's time for the scheduled fluid changes for both.

You're approaching this incorrectly. You change the oil BEFORE it becomes a problem.

When it's a problem, the problem won't be fixed by changing the oil.

Obviously it's up to you, but deferred maintenance always costs more than timely maintenance.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    agreed, abel....

truer words never were spoken....

at that age and mileage - its expected to need some fluid changes....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. The automatic transmission fluid and filter should be changed every 50k miles using the proper high quality fluid and a filter made by the supplier of the filter to the transmission manufacturer, here GM. Change the transfer case fluid at the same time. Personally, I prefer Redline lubricants (www.redlineoil.com).
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 09-19-2020 at 08:02 AM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Ya go to an independent shop get away from the dealer

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328ix M Package
    One question; Why its only asking to change front transfer case and not the rear?
    Thank you all for those great advises I appreciate it

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328ix M Package
    Let me please ask you some questions;
    * Why its only asking to change front transfer case and not the rear?

* I'm afraid to take it to other place than the dealer to get fixed. I've had bad experiences with outside mechanics I'm worried they will do something wrong and it'll end up costing me more later.

* I live in New York City do you guys recommend any specialized BMW repair place I can take it to?

* I'm afraid also my dealer could lie to me and say he performed these services and not do them. How can I tell if transmission service was done and transfer case replaced? is there a way I can make sure he don't lie to me? Will my transmission show any improvement after the service?

* I also need to replace my rear shock because it started to leak. Should I buy the complete shock set or just the shock? (i usually buy parts from FCP and have my local mechanic to install it for me)

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    There is only one transfer case. It's in the middle. Yes, it's a PITA to drain and fill it, on your car.

You absolutely should have both the transfer case and transmission fluid changed.....AND, it's a really good idea to change the front and rear differential fluids, and, of course the brake fluid - which needs to be changed every two years.

Never replace a single shock absorber, always replace in pairs.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328ix M Package
    * Brake fluid - I asked mechanic if I need to change he said no need to change it if I have no issues.

* You advise me to change the front and rear diff fluids (will that cost more? and how much?) and what happens if I leave it alone.

* one mechanic scared me. He advised me to leave the transfer case alone because he says if he changes the fluid and reset the learning that it causes all sort of problems and that I will get the 4X4 light on my dashboard. He also said code will still be there no matter what. Is that true?

* I finally found a mechanic shop with good reviews and they quoted me :
    transfer case fluid replacement + transmission service with filter and original bmw fluid = Parts $294 + Labor $420
    Does that seem to be good price using original bmw fluids?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

One question regarding a weird thing keeps on happening every now and then;
    Sometimes while driving my air condition/heat turns on by itself without me turning it on. Is that normal? and what should I do to prevent this from happening again?

Thank you all very much for helping me with this. I appreciate your time and input in this.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i agree with chris - fluids need to be changed regularly - and brake fluid is every 2 years.
    especially if this is a vehicle i'm keeping a long, long time.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I change the trans fluid and filter, both diffs and the transfer case fluid every 100k miles. Turned 300k last weekend with original transmission, transfer case and diffs.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic, it absorbs water over time. The water lowers the boiling point of the fluid, eventually to the point where stopping on a freeway off ramp from 70mph could cause boiling of the fluid. That's a bad thing. Replace the brake fluid every 2 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maxcsr View Post
    Let me please ask you some questions;
    * Why its only asking to change front transfer case and not the rear?

* I'm afraid to take it to other place than the dealer to get fixed. I've had bad experiences with outside mechanics I'm worried they will do something wrong and it'll end up costing me more later.

* I live in New York City do you guys recommend any specialized BMW repair place I can take it to?

* I'm afraid also my dealer could lie to me and say he performed these services and not do them. How can I tell if transmission service was done and transfer case replaced? is there a way I can make sure he don't lie to me? Will my transmission show any improvement after the service?

* I also need to replace my rear shock because it started to leak. Should I buy the complete shock set or just the shock? (i usually buy parts from FCP and have my local mechanic to install it for me)

This is possible anywhere that works on your car and you're not watching them do the work. Why would a BMW dealer be inherently more worrisome than an independent for you?

Having said that, you could ask them to return the old transmission filter to you. Or tell them you want to see the inside of the trans after they get the pan off, if you're going to sit there while they do the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The mechanic who told you "don't change the brake fluid if you have no issues" is the mechanic you shouldn't trust. He is a moron. Ditto the guy who said don't change the transfer case fluid because it causes problems. Same guy, perhaps?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328ix M Package
    I'm going to tell my mechanic to do the following;

1. Transfer case fluid
    2. Transmission service (I will ask him to return the filter to me)
    3. Differentials front and back fluids. ( how can I tell if he changed this also? )
    4. Brake fluid. ( I bought this device that tests brake fluid and if it has water it'll tell me, but it reads that my brake fluid is good. How I make sure he changed it? maybe he'll see it in good condition and just charge me for the heck of it )

I'm pretty sure those all the fluids I should change since i'm at $105000?
    If you recommend anything else more or less please leave an input.

I cant thank you enough I appreciate all your help
    Thank you so very much

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Does the shop specialize in bimmers? I can guarantee that there are many shops in nyc that specialize in BMWs.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Maybe it's because I don't live in a big city, but I doubt that there's much in the way of shenanigans going on when you tell a shop to change fluids. It's easy work, and not all that cheap. We (I work at a dealer) would charge about $500 just for the labor to change the brake fluid, transmission fluid and filter, transfer case, and both differentials. The tech would get paid 4 hours, and he'd probably get it done in less than 2. There's really no incentive to take the chance on getting caught lying about having done the work.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    agreed....if you really don't feel you can trust a shop to do the work you've asked, then, it's time to move on to another shop.
    i've only asked for parts, once, when i suspected a bad diagnosis and thought things might go south....they did, and, well, it's a story!

anyway - if you can't feel like you can trust a shop, in my mind, then its time to move on....

i'm not a tech myself, but, have several friends that are techs and as stated, they'd be happy to do a fluid ticket....

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1 on TRUST, and all that is said above. If someone doesn't trust me, I don't want to work for them anyway.
    Critter, I'd get paid 6 hours for all those fluid changes....so much for the dealership charging too much, huh?

Even then, it would be much cheaper than one hundred and five thousand dollars.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    +1 on TRUST, and all that is said above. If someone doesn't trust me, I don't want to work for them anyway.
    Critter, I'd get paid 6 hours for all those fluid changes....so much for the dealership charging too much, huh?
    I may be off a little with my numbers, I'm not an advisor. But we charge an hour for brake fluid, and IIRC, we charge 2 for the trans, and another hour for x-case and diffs. But 6 isn't bad. But it'd be $835 for 6 hours at our shop, and that might turn people off to doing some fluid changes, especially given that the trans filter kit (for my E46 anyway) is $250 and the 6-8 liters of fluid necessary retail for like $40 each. It's gets up to $1,500 real quick at those prices.

Even then, it would be much cheaper than one hundred and five thousand dollars.
    lol, that would be some expensive fluids!
    Last edited by Critter7r; 09-24-2020 at 07:58 AM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328ix M Package
    So below is my bill.
    I have done;
    1. Transmission service
    2. Transfer case fluid replacement + Front and Rear Differentials
    3. Flush brake system replace fluid.

He first quoted my almost $900 for everything but then called me while car in shop saying that it needed more fluid so the prices went up to $1490+tax.
    I think I was overcharged but at least the job and transmission now runs much smoother and I love it.

What you guys think?
    Every how long now should I replace all these fluids?

Thanks

Copy of my receipt below

So below is my bill.
    I have done;
    1. Transmission service

He first quoted my almost $900 for everything but then called me while car in shop saying that it needed more fluid so the prices went up to $1490+tax.
    I think I was overcharged but at least the job and transmission now runs much smoother and I love it.

What you guys think?

Thanks

Copy of my receipt below

https://ibb.co/t4QzSkc
    Last edited by maxcsr; 09-28-2020 at 12:11 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Sounds about right.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    So below is my bill.
    I have done;
    1. Transmission service

What you guys think?

Thanks

Copy of my receipt below

So below is my bill.
    I have done;
    1. Transmission service

What you guys think?

Thanks

Copy of my receipt below

https://ibb.co/t4QzSkc
    was this a bmw dealer?

are you a bmw cca member? many shops, especially dealers, offer discounts to club members....(www.bmwcca.org)

on fluid intervals - i generally do 2 years on brake fluid, and roughly 60-100k on driveline fluids (trans/transfer case/diffs)....

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328ix M Package
    Hi, No it was an independent shop. I got it off Yelp because it had amazing reviews.
    He shocked me with the price difference when I was picking up the car. He said it needed more oil than expected.
    I felt like i was being ripped off as well but nothing I could have done since work was already done on my car. Please advise me what is the best thing to do.
    Thanks

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Hi, No it was an independent shop. I got it off Yelp because it had amazing reviews.
    Yelp reviews are worthless if not worse.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    sadly, i agree - i've found most online review portals to be almost worthless.

if you are a bmw cca member, the local chapter will often know the best shops and such as well as the shops to avoid.

i thought it might be an independent as i didn't think a dealer would use ate typ200. it's a great fluid, so, no worries there.

did they indicate which fluid ended up changing the bill so much? i don't know that there's much you can do, but, wow, that's a huge change in the bill...
    if nothing else, just put them on your do not go back list if that's how they are going to do things.

i mean, yes, sometimes there are unexpected costs in a job, but, that should be communicated very clearly as soon as it happens and with a clear explanation as to why.
    on a fluids job, that just seems crazy to have happen....

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Well, there's $588 in fluids on the bill, and the bill is $590 more than the estimate.

Sounds like he didn't estimate *ANY* fluids initially.

Here in Michigan, the customer cannot be forced to pay an amount more than 10% higher than the agreed upon estimate. So the customer can't leave with a $900 estimate and show up to a bill of more than $990

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast