Thread: Driver window problems

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5

Driver window problems

I know - another thread about a faulty window 😂 Had a crunching sound when lowering the window and removed the door panel. Turned out that the plastic mount that holds all the wiring connectors broke, and the glass sheered off the connectors! I rewired it all and now my driver power door lock is working again, which is great.

The window, however, goes up very slowly (it goes down fine) the last 1/3 of the way. The sliders are intact (one seems to have a crack though). I repeatedly moved the window up and down to check that my wiring was out of the way and would not sheer off again, and the window progressively went up slower and slower until it stopped a couple inches from the top. Wait a second and try again and it would go all the way up. The motor felt rather hot.

So, I’m wondering if this sounds like the motor is going. The regulator itself visually seems fine, and I lubricated the tracks. Anything I might be overlooking?
    Last edited by schnell944; 09-17-2020 at 11:49 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    probably not the motor, something is jamming, bent guides? That is overload protection of the GM. The GM has an internal reversible overload relay. So you have somehow too much load there sometimes. See under 10
    ZKE http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-zke.htm
    http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-zke.htm

The internal reversible relay inside the GM switches off
    -if longer than 60 seconds a current of more than 36A or
    -if longer than 0.3 seconds a current between 36 and 60A or (overload)
    -if a current more than 60A flows for longer than 0.1 seconds (short circuit)

translated this with google

Fensterheber und SHD: (SHD = electric sunroof)
    Das Relais schaltet ab
    -wenn laenger als 60 Sekunden ein Strom von ueber 36A oder
    -wenn laenger als 0.3 Sekunden ein Strom zwischen 36 und 60A oder (Ueberlastung)
    -wenn laenger als 0.1 Sekunden ein Strom groesser als 60A fliesst (Kurzschluss)

Um die Laststromkreise TSH/ZV/ZS/FH/SHD sicher vor Ueberlast zu schuetzen, wurde zusaetzlich zur 30A Sicherung eine elektronische (reversible) Stromsicherung eingebaut. Im GM wird der Spannungsabfall am RM gemessen, und je nach Spannungsabfall (Stromschwelle) unterbricht das Sicherheitsrelais den Laststrom .

Die Abschaltwerte der 30A Sicherung werden dabei nicht erreicht (diese wurden nur dann schmelzen, wenn ein Defekt an der elektronischen Sicherung vorliegt). Die Ansprechschwelle dieser elektronischen Sicherung ist so gelegt, dass immer vor Ueberlast der angeschlossenen Steuerungen automatisch abgeschaltet wird. Ein automatisches Wiedereinschalten erfolgt nach 60 Sekunden! Jedoch nur dann, wenn diese Verbraucher abgeschaltet waren bzw kein Kurzschluss vorliegt. Ein automatisches Wiedereinschalten kann 6 x erfolgen bei eingeschalteter Klemme 15. Diese Sperre wird aufgehoben durch Ausschalten der Kl. 15.

Um die Ausloeseschwelle beim gleichzeitigen Einschalten mehrerer Verbraucher nicht zu erreichen, koennen bei der FH-Steuerung gleichzeitig nur 2 gleichzeitig angesteuert werden. Werden mehrere Tasten gleichzeitig betaetigt, so werden nur die zwei ersten Befehle ausgefuehrt. Sollte bereits bei 2 eingeschalteten FH die Ueberlastgrenze ueberschritten werden, so wird ein FH abgeschaltet. Dabei haben die FH vorne Vorrang.
    --------------------------
    Window lifters and SHD: (SHD = electric sunroof)
    The relay switches off
    -if longer than 60 seconds a current of over 36A or
    -if longer than 0.3 seconds a current between 36 and 60A or (overload)
    -if a current greater than 60A flows for longer than 0.1 seconds (short circuit)

In order to safely protect the load circuits TSH / ZV / ZS / FH / SHD from overload, an electronic (reversible) current fuse was installed in addition to the 30A fuse. In the GM, the voltage drop at the RM is measured, and depending on the voltage drop (current threshold), the safety relay interrupts the load current.

The switch-off values ​​of the 30A fuse are not reached (these would only melt if there was a defect in the electronic fuse). The response threshold of this electronic fuse is set so that the connected controls are always switched off automatically before overloading. It is automatically switched on again after 60 seconds! However, only if these consumers were switched off or there is no short circuit. Automatic restarting can take place 6 times when terminal 15 is switched on. This lock is canceled by switching off terminal 15.
    In order not to reach the triggering threshold when several consumers are switched on at the same time, only 2 can be controlled simultaneously with the FH control (FH = Fenster Heber = window lifter). If several buttons are pressed at the same time, only the first two commands are executed. If the overload limit is exceeded with two FHs switched on, one FH is switched off. The front windows have priority.
    Last edited by shogun; 09-18-2020 at 03:52 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Clean everything with non flammable brake parts cleaner or de greaser of choice to get all the old crusty grease out then use Lubricant on all the tracks I used lots of silicone spray on the side guides that are vertical and some light white lithium grease on the regulator guides and pivot points it helped the operation move more smoothly and put less stress on the motor it will take a patients cleaning but i dont believe your motor is bad mine was sitting for 8 years and i was having the same problems old crusty grease in the guides once i cleaned them all well and re lubricated everything replaced a few broken clips all is well on mine
    Last edited by vr117; 09-18-2020 at 04:24 AM.

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Thanks for the insight, shogun and VR. I’ll plan to take the regulator out, replace the plastic sliding clips, and lubricate everything. We’ll see how that goes.

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell944 View Post
    Thanks for the insight, shogun and VR. I’ll plan to take the regulator out, replace the plastic sliding clips, and lubricate everything. We’ll see how that goes.
    I didn't remove the regulator as i didn't believe it was needed i did everything on the car the plastic clips trust me go OEM the cheap ones on amazon are junk and will not hold or crack a good cleaning and make sure you have power going to it (please be safe about it and not get hurt because of moving parts )this way with the panel removed and the ability to move the window up and down you will be able to see where its binding and attend to those areas with cleaning and lubrication mine was two broken clips and the side rails that keep the window on track were gunked up and dried out lots of silicone spray really helped get things moving for me and the rails where the plastic clips slide had grey solid grease and was binding gotta get that off i just used the spray on white lithium grease because thats all i had on hand after i cleaned off the old stuff and it worked well for me i also cleaned the teeth and the hinges well and sprayed them with grease and worked the window up and down till smooth good luck be safe
    Last edited by vr117; 09-19-2020 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Sounds like a plan! Thanks, vr.

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell944 View Post
    Sounds like a plan! Thanks, vr.
    anytime let us know how it goes