Thread: Educate me on Limited Slip Differential Wear

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster,e46 325i

Educate me on Limited Slip Differential Wear

I'm trying to gather some info on what possibly may be this winter's project.

I have a 2000 M roadster and want to assess the function of the Limited Slip Differential. How would I go about doing this. When the wheels are off the ground they do spin in opposite directions (historically i have heard this meant that the diff is essentially open). I have also read somewhere on this forum that may not entirely be the case.

I'm looking for those of you who have rebuilt failed BMW limited slips, can this be assessed somehow externally with diagnostic testing?

My plan was to call around to my go to shops and see if they would be willing to restore with a Thayer motorsport kit with the differential I brought to them, I think taking the guts out of there might be out of my wheelhouse

Thanks!

My Cars
    99 M3

Educate me on Limited Slip Differential Wear

It is likely that the Z3 came with a non-clutch style Torsen differential, which behaves differently.
    Though, I see you have a 2000 ‘M’ Roadster that has a clutch pack.

Secure the car (chocks), Jack one rear wheel, place on JS, apply a torque wrench to the off-the-ground wheel lug nut. The www.newTIS.info specifies a minimum ‘break away’ torque value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 09-17-2020 at 04:09 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    M roadsters came with clutch type LSD's - Torsens came on the non-M's in the later years.

OP I think there better things to spend your money on especially if it isnt even showing symptoms

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The M Roadster uses an M-Sport clutch type diff that is different than the typical BMW clutch-type in clutch plates, ramp angles and preload. As such it is quite easy to turn static making you think it's an open diff, or slam worn out. As long as your power-on transitions in and out of the church-lot doughnuts are smooth and controllable, I'd leave it be.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster,e46 325i
    Thanks so much for the expertise, I appreciate it as always. I do about two autocross events a month and its definitely smooth during full power out of turns, (and no corner workers have mentioned I'm lighting up the inside wheel, as one friend pointed out to me when i used to run my E46 325)

My Cars
    94 325iC
    The VIN decoder reports that my 1996 1.9L Z3 has an option 209 Limited Slip Differential (25%). Is that a Torsen type? What kind of oil should be used to service it?

My Cars
    06 330i, 88 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    M roadsters came with clutch type LSD's - Torsens came on the non-M's in the later years.

OP I think there better things to spend your money on especially if it isnt even showing symptoms
    Huh, Don Fields told me that he thought that very likely my 2000 MCoupe would have one of the Torsen units. How does one verify this? I do have to do the diff bushings, so I suppose that I could pop the cover off.

If, in fact, mine has a clutch type, then it's finished. Spinning one wheel doesn't spin the other. Spinning both wheels with the input flange, only takes slight pressure from an index finger to stop it spinning.

Thanks! You're like the Wiki of Z3s.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    I’ve also been told that the m’s have the clutch types. The non-m’s are open or Torsen in later years.

I have a torsen...off the ground when you spin one wheel the other turns in the opposite direction

Give Diffsonline.com a call...they will get you sorted

The disadvantage of a torsen is that it turns to open when one wheel leaves the ground. The advantage is that you don’t have to replace clutches every five years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by lelandr View Post
    Huh, Don Fields told me that he thought that very likely my 2000 MCoupe would have one of the Torsen units. How does one verify this? I do have to do the diff bushings, so I suppose that I could pop the cover off.

If, in fact, mine has a clutch type, then it's finished. Spinning one wheel doesn't spin the other. Spinning both wheels with the input flange, only takes slight pressure from an index finger to stop it spinning.

Thanks! You're like the Wiki of Z3s.
    To the best of my knowledge the M's got clutch LSDs the whole production run. Torsens were a non-M only thing

Take the cover off and look inside. Clutch LSDs and Torsens look different internally. Or remove the speed sensor and fish a borescope in there...

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    A picture will help in identifying the type of diff you have. Try this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.